Why won't the Police Take Action?

fern01

My son left his expensive phone in a taxi on Friday night.

He contacted the taxi company who gave him the drivers details,

The tracker on the phone pinpointed the address where the phone was which corresponded to the details he already had from the taxi company.

The taxi driver didn't respond to his calls.

Reported the matter to the Police with all the info and was told "we don't get involved in these matters"

Why not knock on the door and ask for it you might say, pretty sure the response would be I haven't got it go away or similar, what could you do then?

1 hour ago, fern01 said:

The tracker on the phone pinpointed the address where the phone was which corresponded to the details he already had from the taxi company.

Reported the matter to the Police with all the info and was told "we don't get involved in these matters"

Why not knock on the door and ask for it you might say, pretty sure the response would be I haven't got it go away or similar, what could you do then?

Go knock the door. The taxi driver has probably been out driving all night and is asleep. He might not even know the phone is on the floor in his car etc etc. 

Friends have had similar and found the taxi drivers have put their items away safe and waited for them to get in touch.

I even once seen taxi drivers take a bloke home and keep him safe because he was too drunk to remember where he lived and fell asleep 😂 I think you’ll find most are just normal hard working folk. 

Also the Police have genuinely got people phoning them up in absolute dire emergencies, people getting their heads actually kicked in (maybe by Rake Aboot?) and domestic violence incidents, numerous mental health call outs daily, serious accidents with death and injury, they’re massively stretched. 

Probably why they don’t have the time and resources to go out looking for peoples phones that they have misplaced 🙈

Edited by Lloyd90

my daughter had this including purse money and cards tracked her phone with my phone went to his house late afternoon he was getting up tired and confused found everything in the back of the taxi under the seat  go knock on the door don't forget kids these days have their phones on silent he may not know

I got a phone call from the company who administer my credit card payments- customer who paid by card said he's left his phone in your cab.

I had no idea, I always scan the back after every job, and at the end of the night, but it's a quick glance, not a forensic examination. I checked for 15 mins, and nothing. Then I opened the offside door, and it was jammed between the door lining and the sill. Called cc company back, got customer details, put phone on charge, and delivered back to customer that night. 

He too had thought I wasn't answering deliberately- but my night didn't end when his did, I worked another 4 hrs, then an hr home, and was asleep when the cc company called. He was a lucky wotsit that none had used offside doors as phone would have been gone.

Good advice to go softly softly, as he may not know it's there. Plus, if a punter came to my house heavy handed, screaming threats....... that's where my WIFE is, best not to bring the threat of violence to my home as I have a very "israel" view of proportional response. 

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I didn’t think the stupidity of this post could be topped. 

Until you posted this and totally proved me wrong ...

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Go knock the door. The taxi driver has probably been out driving all night and is asleep. He might not even know the phone is on the floor in his car etc etc. 

Friends have had similar and found the taxi drivers have put their items away safe and waited for them to get in touch.

I even once seen taxi drivers take a bloke home and keep him safe because he was too drunk to remember where he lived and fell asleep 😂 I think you’ll find most are just normal hard working folk. 

👍   I knew you and I would agree on something eventually. 

8 hours ago, fern01 said:

Not a lot of sympathy with your somewhat aggressive approach on this and rightly so. 

As for getting the police involved, well as said, they've got far more important things to be concerned about than your sons total absentmindedness. Hopefully he will will more careful, if not more trusting in future.

OB

33 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Not a lot of sympathy with your somewhat aggressive approach on this and rightly so. 

As for getting the police involved, well as said, they've got far more important things to be concerned about than your sons total absentmindedness. Hopefully he will will more careful, if not more trusting in future.

OB

I agree with ob .where was the phone when he lost .i bet it was not in his pocket.they all seem to walk round with it in there hand .

no wonder they loose them .cut his losses and claim of his insurance .has he locked it with his provider if not he will get the bill for calls 

he has not made .itsnot the police fault he lost it 

Edited by Guest

Why don’t the police?My daughters a Sargent  in police.She had a phone call from a guy who had his laptop taken when someone smashed his car window .He demanded something was done about it .He had left it on car seat in full view..When she starts here shift she has 8 bobies  and about 80 jobs to hand out.She has to sort out how urgent thay are.So some jobs have to wait a few days.Bottom line is there has been massive cuts in man power.Blame the  joker who runs the country.

This happended to my mate a few weeks ago.

Phone was tracked to taxi drivers car.

He was asleep after a long night shift. Later the following day when he got up and checked his messages, he contacted my mate and he went round to pick up his phone. 

You can't blame the Police for not reacting to losing a phone and as far I as can see, the taxi driver not returning your calls is hardly proof that a crime has been committed. The onus is hardly on the taxi driver to fall over himself to get it back to you. He might not even know it's in his car.

What sort of timeframe are we talking from loss of phone to unreturned calls? Days, weeks, hours?

No point saying `what if he denies having it` until you've actually asked him. You're anticipating something that hasn't happended yet. The fact the taxi company gave you his address suggests it happens quite a lot and they have nothing to hide? You've criminalised the taxi driver for no good reason.

In fact - just work it out yourself. I'm bored of trying to put this into prespective.

11 hours ago, fern01 said:

Just go around to taxi drivers wuth your son and explain that the poluce are aware the phone us with him and can you please gave it back.

Best recouse if he won't hand it over is toreporthim to taxi licencung at council with evidence and have him booted off the job.

At the moment the phone is not stolen, it is misplaced (or lost)

You know where it is and if contact is made and it is not returned then it will be theft by finding.

It probably hasn't been 'found' yet by the taxi driver, you can report it as lost in a taxi and provide the details of the last 'ping', you will then have a case number and a basis for an insurance claim or as has been suggested you can go round or put a note through explaining its at this address could he check the car seats and the police case number is 12345 and can he return it to the station or direct.

When I was still cabbing I found loads of phones in my car - some had slid under the seats. I'd go through the numbers to try to find a 'mum or dad' number entry then just first names till someone knew whose phone it was. One guy demanded I take it about 20 miles to his house but refused to pay the taxi fare for that journey calling me a rip off. I told him it would be in the drawer in our office he can collect it anytime but hopefully before it goes missing.

He's quickly got a local cab company to bring him to collect it because he'd been on the beer, the two way trip cost him twice as much as my one way trip would have been.

Most are gratefull to get it back but some are downright rude expecting drivers to incur expense of returning something they lost in the back of a cab.

**Total tangent**

I remember finding a phone which was not locked, we went into it to see if we could find a friend to text and found out the guy was dealing class A`s, "Hey mate, XXX said you could do XXX for £XXX, contact me"... "Got anyXXX?"

So we thought it best way to get it back to the owner was to take it to the police station and tell them to check the messages first 😉

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 23:41, fern01 said:

Do you mean there is firm evidence to show the phone located at the taxi driver's home address?   If so, the driver is hardly likely to pretend he hasn't got it.

5 hours ago, McSpredder said:

Do you mean there is firm evidence to show the phone located at the taxi driver's home address?   If so, the driver is hardly likely to pretend he hasn't got it.

If it’s in his taxi , which is parked up his drive ....? 

I also find it unbelievable the taxi firm gave out an employees home details ..surely they should have contacted there driver before dishing out his home address ..