pulsar

davewh100

anyone thinking of getting the new pulsar nv455 you would need to purchase a separate ir the one that comes with it is rubbish, the best it does is 125 yards glad i purchased the ian sirrell before hand which is fantastic 300 yards no probs the scope it self is fine apart from the tricky on/off button on the side 

I have tried to use an SRX with the 455 and no matter where it is sited I cannot get anything remotely acceptable. Tried every option, lens cover up/down, sumlight on/off, external laser up down left right fore aft and every combination of the above. I end up with either total whiteout/huge white football or get only a part field of view - bit like looking through a distorted keyhole rotated 90 degrees. The sumlight option with it's advantage of even extra sensitivity brings with it an extra grainy image so be mindful when using it if recording, also easy to miss it being on or off. It is clear the effects a more sensitive cmos has ie doesn't need as much night light however the big downside is you are restricted to using external lasers at the lowest power else you risk the forementioned symptons. Speaking from results from my unit and having had a pard 008 I would prefer to use the pard up to 150 yds rather than the 455. The downside for me on the 455; as above the on/off button is both fiddly, doesn't always switch of (happens this on other units not just mine) and in the dark is tricky to locate. The focus control is super awkward being more like a tap than a watch winder and I don't find the focus control smooth or too precise.  The unit operates remarkably well in low light light/dusk conditions but that is I think the offset of having a sensitive cmos - personally I would rather have a less sensitive cmos and have more options with external lasers to tweak the illumination to exactly what I want. The picatinny mount on the side is about a small as it could be without being unusable, my ring mount is 30mm wide so when attached it impinges on the abilitiy to screw the dust cap over the electronics for the included ir - not ideal, bear in mind you need a mount that is around 21mm to enable the dust cap to be fitted, a must as you wouldnt want moisture or dust getting in there. The internal battery without the included ir lasts no more than 3 hours with just viewing, bear in mind if you start recording/using wifi etc it will be less - spare batteries aint cheap. On a scope this price the inbuilt range finding is far too over complex and time consuming, by the time you get to the menu with it on, messed about altering the lines to range the quarry in chances are it's either moved or cleared off - would rather see a fox image than a 'boar' so again a bit of a guestimate is needed to adjust if you are out foxing. The quick menu option once activated doesn't stay on too long so you need to be quick and know exactly the order of buttons to press else you will change something you didn't intend to.  The rail mount included is very robust and solid and generally the scope looks to be of good build quality, not sure if the unit is ideal for me - the biggest downside is the cmos sensitivity.

The images below:

1. Badgers, approx 140/150 yds with ian sirrell ir on lowest, lens cap up

2. Pylon, ranged at 161 yds in light prior to filming, ian sirrell on lowest, lens cap up - tree line about 200yds

3. Arches, approx 160 yds, sirius srx on low, lens cap up - you can faintly see the arches in the distance, clearly this is not useable.

badgers.png

pylon.png

arches.png

update on the ir on my pulsar nv455 so the ian sirrell was too much so contacted Scott county from where the NV was purchased, lad there told me to try a wicked light A51ir as you can switch between 850nm & 940nm, must say its very good the 940nm is perfect for the cmos sensor the ir mount can be adjusted up & down and right & left, so anyone with the 455 i can recommend the A51ir 

Edited by davewh100