BASC condemns threats made to Chris Packham

BASC condemns threats made to Chris Packham

Apr 30, 2019

BASC has unequivocally condemned threats made to Chris Packham which he revealed in a television interview earlier today.

The BBC presenter revealed this morning on ITV’s Good Morning Britain that the police are currently investigating threats of a “serious nature” which he said were part of an ongoing campaign again him and his home since the revocation of the general licences last week.

Natural England has said its decision to revoke the licences was in direct response to a legal challenge from the group Wild Justice, whose directors include Packham.

BASC previously condemned targeted, illegal behaviour after Packham tweeted a picture of dead crows hanging on a gate outside his house.

In response to Packham’s latest comments during today’s interview with Piers Morgan, Steve Bloomfield, BASC’s executive director of operations and shooting, said: “We have already stated in unequivocal terms that we do not condone any illegal behaviour. And for people to continue to behave in such a manner is utterly unacceptable.

“It will be no surprise to anyone that we don’t agree with Chris Packham on how best to manage the countryside, in fact we probably couldn’t be further apart at this stage. But the sort of behaviour and threats described by Packham does not help anyone’s cause and must stop.”

However, BASC has challenged Packham’s assertion during the TV interview that farmers have been ‘misinformed’ in the row over the withdrawal of general licences without consultation or notice from Natural England.

The UK’s largest shooting organisation has criticised ITV for allowing Packham’s statements to go unchallenged by countryside experts during the broadcast.

BASC had agreed last Friday to take part in a live debate with Packham and Morgan and had already booked travel and accommodation for staff, but were cancelled by the broadcaster at the 11th hour yesterday after it said Packham agreed a deal with GMB and the Daily Mirror newspaper.

The programme published a short statement from BASC during the broadcast which urged environment secretary Michael Gove to step in and show leadership as fury and anger builds among the rural community.

But BASC said the broadcaster had also failed rural England by cancelling the televised debate with Packham.

Garry Doolan, BASC’s deputy director of communications, said: “That is simply fake news by Packham. Farmers and the rest of the rural community could not be clearer on where the blame lies for the current fiasco and their anger and frustration is palpable.

“ITV did not allow representation of the reality of the situation being faced by those in the countryside. ITV has failed us all by not allowing the rural community to have a voice in that debate with Chris Packham.”

I didn’t watch it as I loathe Morgan even more than Packham, but I’m assuming he wasn’t interviewed because of his campaign to have shooting stopped, or any discussion about the GL and it’s purpose, but rather because he is a celebrity who opposes shooting and as a result has had some cretins plaster his gate with dead birds and superglue? 

Perhaps it may be worth our shooting orgs inviting Packham to a live debate on the BBC.As as celebrity he has a platform via mainstream tv on which he can spout unchallenged his views and opinions because of his celebrity status, we shooters on the other hand are denied the same privilege. 

Come on shooting orgs, get it done. 

2 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

Is there any evidence of these alleged threats?

I'm sure there will have been threats and it doesn't make much difference wether they are genuine and they have proof. We as the shooting comunity will be found guilty and blamed.

Threats real or not he never mentioned the real agony some farmers and their families have been subjected to by the Badger groups.,over the cull.Buldings damaged ,livestock realeased,and threats to wife's and children.Seems there is one rule for one and one rule for another.

As others have said threats and intimidation do our way of life no favours at all. The only way to get our voice heard is through educated, rational debate. As for not being able to get airtime on TV and other media could our shooting organisations book their own slots and maybe draw wild justice and others out to challenge? They might not want their moments of soap box glory challenged but I doubt they would want our views to be heard.      

Although I agree 100% that this is not the way to behave.. 

But on the other side as been said, hunt masters the badger cull, I have been insulted when out stalking before. Being the bigger person is the right way to act but at times you feel you need to retaliate. The one thing packham has os his media presence so is able to shout to a nation about all us bad shooters... 

Id like to see BASC throw it back at them and bring up hunt masters being attacked by masked saboteurs etc. 

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I'm sure there will have been threats and it doesn't make much difference wether they are genuine and they have proof. We as the shooting comunity will be found guilty and blamed.

When you get a member on here suggest that another member goes in and gives a taxi driver a good hiding, then, YES, there are total idiots about who cannot engage brain before engaging mouth and it reflects on all of us.

BASC have just sent me an e mail showing what they would have liked to put on this months magazine but it had already gone to the printers. The picture shows a magpie about to eat a young fledgling   That is the sort of action we need to put forward but as said the media do not want to print it, other than the Daily Telegraph (still printing good letters) and the Daily Mail.

Doing a Trump and taking to social media by BASC et al is the only way to get around the media ignoring the truth.

Edited by Walker570

6 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Although I agree 100% that this is not the way to behave.. 

But on the other side as been said, hunt masters the badger cull, I have been insulted when out stalking before. Being the bigger person is the right way to act but at times you feel you need to retaliate. The one thing packham has os his media presence so is able to shout to a nation about all us bad shooters... 

Id like to see BASC throw it back at them and bring up hunt masters being attacked by masked saboteurs etc. 

Anybody could have hung those crows on his gate, far be it from me to accuse him personally but it could have eassily been one of his extremist friends.Wonder why a celebrity like him has no video footage of these criminals. I am no Caleb but if somebody hung a couple of crows on my front gate over 100 yards from the house i would have footage of who it was.  "Pictures or it never happened" i say..

5 minutes ago, Christoff said:

I've no doubt the threats were genuine and whoever is responsible needs to pack it in. Handing out death threats and hanging dead crows outside his house does no one any favours and makes the entire shooting community look like a bunch of nutters to the general public. 

Lets wait and see if there is anything comes of this first before automatically assuming such things.  We just have is word for this and a few pictures.

I am not a gambler but if i was  i would have a fiver on nothing coming of this with ladbrookes.

30 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

How about flooding YouTube with videos and images of the eyes pecked out of lambs , fledglings massacred crops  destroyed all with the heading PACKHAMS WILD JUSTICE 

Unfortunately its near impossible to show - and prove how crops have been thinned out to the point of little or no profit in persisting against the perpetual damage. Images of a field blue with pigeons or plaqued with crows might help.

Edited by Dave-G