Planting Ransoms

johnnytheboy

Looking for some help, I have a wee patch of garden, not much is happening in it and I wanted to plant some wild garlic, how do I go about it? I know where there is some ransoms locally next to an toxic looking petrol refinery, they might be a good place to harvest what ever I need from! 

Any help appreciated folks

Find a quite lane and dig some up and plant them where you want them. We have loads along the lanes down here in Cornwall and they don't seem to care where they are growing. We don't do really cold weather down here so that might make a differance to the plants up with you boys in the north.

Be aware of the laws re removal of wild flora, dig up the plants with a good root ball, about 10 inches deep. In my case I split the clumps into smaller clumps and planted these to the same depth as they were originally growing, water in and keep watered for the rest of this season (which won't be long.)

The site doesn't need to be wet, they grow in dry woods and lanes around here (north Hampshire) and I don't water them unless it's hot and they are wilting, shade is the key to success.

You will  only find them growing in shady sites so your spot should be in the shade. The plants self seed so, with luck, you should see small plantlets next spring. The clumps will also get denser every year and spread slowly.

They don't seem to be affected by frosts, if they are growing wild near to where you want to plant them you'll be OK.

Alternatively you can take the dead flower heads when the seeds go black and scatter onto your garden. When the flowers die they go brown and papery and you need to remove the brown stuff to check the ripeness of the seeds, don't leave it too late or they will be gone :) . New plants appear in the following spring

Edited by martinj

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:24, spandit said:

I uprooted a load and planted them all over my land but they didn't take... must try and get some more

You need to be sure to dig deep when collecting, maybe 10 inches to get all of the bulb and roots. They nearly always grow under trees to get full shade all summer.