Sore feet

Hi all, can anyone help with this problem, my springer seems to be suffering constantly with sore feet between the digits and licks them where they become inflamed and bleed, I have been to the vet on numerous times and have left considerable poorer without it helping one jot, he’s been on antibiotics and steroids for 2 weeks and has had this treatment before, I don’t mind paying anything to make him better, but quite a few hundred pounds lighter I’m not happy, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

What you have sounds like dog equivalent of athletes foot (yeast fungal infection) which is itchy until licked to bleeding. Keep toe hair and pad hair trimmed.

Look at the natural treatments such as hydrogen peroxide or cider vinegar warm foot bath etc to relieve itchiness and treat fungus each night before bed for 10 min and reduce when feet heal to once a week.

Get a set of paw booties and have them on dogs feet whenever outside until healed.

Silly question, but he isn't walking on harshly chemical treated surfaces or getting feet in silage effluent or amonia (slurry effluent) as these can cause simikar symptoms?

ive had this one time with one of my spanners......looked really wet and nasty inbetween their toes......ever since then i have always clipped my spanners feet and the rest of the body..once i clipped out and cleaned with TCP every day.........the problem went away for the rest of their lives

all good advice above :good:

This problem can be a pain particularly with spaniels. I regularly clip round and in between the toes and I inspect every day when grass seeds appear.

On another matter, do you have the contact details for the young Lady in your avatar picture? 

23 hours ago, JDog said:

This problem can be a pain particularly with spaniels. I regularly clip round and in between the toes and I inspect every day when grass seeds appear.

On another matter, do you have the contact details for the young Lady in your avatar picture? 

she has a very nice bottom i do believe

There is a nasty litle microbe which gets in the hair folicles and causes irritation, my labrador had it and eventually I spoke with a 'farm' vet nd he gave me some mix to put in warm water and stand my dogs feet in it for 10 minutes or so two or three times a day.  Cleared it up in two weeks but it did return once and as soon as I saw Muff starting to lick I had him back standing in the solution. This was back in the late eighties so do not remember the name but have words with your local farmer and get the name of his vet he may know.   If the dog is licking them raw then I would put a 50-50 bet this was the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/05/2019 at 15:05, Stonepark said:

Look at the natural treatments such as ... cider vinegar warm foot bath  

Am I right in thinking that you dilute the cider vinegar with warm water?

If so what ratio of water to vinegar would you recommend

10 hours ago, Ooops said:

Am I right in thinking that you dilute the cider vinegar with warm water?

If so what ratio of water to vinegar would you recommend

Equal parts is reccommended, but aim for a 2% to 2.5% solution (most shop bought vinegar is 5%.)

5 hours ago, Saltings said:

have you tries changing food some skin allergies are diet sensitive /could be gluten / chicken   or a skin parasite I have found  ivermectin works well on skin infestations also  inc , heart and lung worm been using it for years 

Careful when using ivermectin on dogs. The safe dose is very small. Some breeds are very sensitive and it should not be used on Border Collie, Australian Shepherd, Sheltie, Rough- and Smooth-Coated Collies and associated mixed breeds.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

A skin scrape by your vet will confirm if it is that nasty litle thing in the folicles. I would certainly ask because it sounds identical to what old Muffin had and until treated it drove him made and caused lick lipomas(may not have spelt that correctly) a raw swelling of the tissue.

The vinegar treatment might just kill them off as well, hope it does because I know just how distressing it is for a dog. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Edited by Walker570

• 1 month later...