BASC lays bare the threats posed by general licence chaos

4 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

I agree they should be treated as  pest  and as such should be taken off the general license  i’ve said this in previous posts  The thing is I think to do this we have to go to the EU  as the general license came about from an Eu directive,  and at the moment the government can’t even sort Brexit out so what chance do we have 😡😡😡

I think that’s right but needs looking into maybe anybody know any different

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, JDog said:

My view is that pigeons and corvids should be removed from the General Licence and that they should simply be treated as pest species like rats and rabbits. The general Licence was only brought in as a counter balance to the European Birds Directive which can be amended or ignored. The Wildlife and Countryside Act can be amended too.

I agree they should be classed as a pest and shot whenever problems occur and opportunity presents to control them.! But do you think they should be able to be shot without any restrictions how it's done??  If so i could see the commercial boys that sell big days  having and doing most of the shooting.  NB

be careful what you wish for.

Instead of pigeons and corvids being down graded to pests

rabbits ect. might be added to the GL in their own right and the licence promptly revoked.

That would leave us running around dressed as scarecrows and firing non leathal shots.

7 minutes ago, Paul sullivan said:

Just seen this on Twitter 

F932030F-979C-449A-B4E6-06112C8B6AC9.png

But then what.... 

51 minutes ago, gotgcoalman said:

be careful what you wish for.

Instead of pigeons and corvids being down graded to pests

rabbits ect. might be added to the GL in their own right and the licence promptly revoked.

That would leave us running around dressed as scarecrows and firing non leathal shots.

A very real and worrying thought. 

Having read a lot of literature I have come across a point regarding mostly crows and magpies, but to a certain extent pigeons. Crows and magpies, besides being predators are also scavengers. Because of how we live, ie throwing out so much food, these birds have thrived on our left overs. Therefore the populations of these birds has been artificially increased. So it can be argued that due to the un-natural "surplus" of hthese birds, the levels need to be brought down to what would occur naturally if they weren't able to use us a a food source?

12 minutes ago, gotgcoalman said:

let's hope this is a positive outcome and not an "out of the frying pan" scenario.

Yes agree, but frankly, it couldn't be worse. 

I do feel, that the rural community as a whole, have been extraordinarily tolerant and patient. Hundreds of thousands of people have been affected by this debacle, in financial, conservation and lifestyle. 

I understand that Chris Packham has had a lambasting over this, and that some feel its NE that are at fault. We are all allowed an opinion, and I agree, people, or peoples at NE were receiving a salary, with benefits and security, for dealing with the annual licence review, and did nothing. They have been caught out to our detriment. Mr Packham, has a part to play, and I appreciate the views of those that are more understanding of his cause.

I have my own views on these two separate issues.  Chris Packham in his interview looked weak, unsure and clearly nervous of the line questioning that was to come his way. He deflected it so skilfully, by dropping in the off cuff comment, that he wouldn't be drawn on about the serious threats. Of course, Piers Morgan jumped on it straight away, which allowed the conversation to move to him being the victim. This he played out with great skill.......he thinks.........I saw exactly what he was doing, and in a few moments, had Susanna Reid eating out of his hand. sympathising and applauding him. Appalling manipulative behaviour.

He now finds himself in the same situation, that he has caused hundreds of thousands of people in this country to be. Worried about his future, his financial security etc, and to see the fear in his face in the GMTV interview, allowed me to think that at least for the moment, he has similar fears to the rest of us, the difference being, we didn't have a choice, he did. 

I look forward to a positive development for us all over the coming days.

I’m seeing a lot of stuff in the media about how badly it’s been handled, how there was no consultation, how ridiculous the situation is with the new license applications etc, which is great but, it’s be more helpful if we actually had more progress on where we all stand in plain and simple terms. 

People are confused about the current situation! All the finger pointing doesn’t really help farmers who want to know what they can and can’t do right now!!! I had one rfd tell my dad today that it’s all been sorted and to carry on as he was, luckily he rang me to tell me the good news! Told him to hold his horses!! 

3 minutes ago, walt1980 said:

I’m seeing a lot of stuff in the media about how badly it’s been handled, how there was no consultation, how ridiculous the situation is with the new license applications etc, which is great but, it’s be more helpful if we actually had more progress on where we all stand in plain and simple terms. 

People are confused about the current situation! All the finger pointing doesn’t really help farmers who want to know what they can and can’t do right now!!! I had one rfd tell my dad today that it’s all been sorted and to carry on as he was, luckily he rang me to tell me the good news! Told him to hold his horses!! 

see link..https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/05/02/natural-england-stripped-responsibility-shooting-licences-according/

5 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

NE, should never have giving in th packham they made one big cock up.

Did they "Give in?" or was it perfect timing to await the appointment of Tony Juniper, ( Eco warrior) before delivering the final and fatal blow? And the question has to also be raised, with our impending exit from the clutches of the EU, its a possibility that as we had to comply with the EU in the first instance, would Brexit mean that all those compliance laws would be null and void? Frankly, you couldn't make it up...and I have to hand it to Packham, Avery and the spinster woman, they have had their eye on the ball and played a blinder!

Edited by turbo33

6 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

I agree they should be classed as a pest and shot whenever problems occur and opportunity presents to control them.! But do you think they should be able to be shot without any restrictions how it's done??  If so i could see the commercial boys that sell big days  having and doing most of the shooting.  NB

No, I don't think that would be the case at all. Guides and the like would carry on covering the ground they always have done.

The only restrictions on woodpigeon shooting should be lamping at night.

10 minutes ago, motty said:

No, I don't think that would be the case at all. Guides and the like would carry on covering the ground they always have done.

The only restrictions on woodpigeon shooting should be lamping at night.

Very true! But do you think if pigeons were allowed to be baited/feed in it would change the way and how many pigeons  are shot?  Guilds selling more days and shooting huge bags? NB

1 hour ago, walt1980 said:

Nothing is particularly confusing. The licenses haven't been sorted yet. Easy to understand. I wouldn't trust a gunshop owner on legal matters.