Letter to GMTV

I felt GMTV should have another nudge, so they had this tonight. Again, I'm not holding my breath, but am also not gong to sit back and watch!

To: gmb@itv.com 

FAO Piers Morgan/Susanna Reid- General Licence

Dear Piers and Susanna,

I am sure, your schedule is beyond manic with your commitments to GMTV and going on air. Could I ask, that you take a moment to read this email and understand the importance of it.

On Tuesday 30th April, I watched you both interview Chris Packham about the General Licence. I was surprised to see it was only Chris Packham and that there weren’t any representatives from the many countryside organisations. The BASC (British association for Shooting and Conservation) it appears, were due to be included, but having arranged transport and accommodation, were cancelled by GMTV at the 11th hour, as a “Deal” had been done with Mr Packham and the Daily Mirror. This is unacceptable reporting and was manipulated by Mr Packham so that only his views were heard. The whole interview was a catalogue of untruths by Mr Packham. Comments such as “Fake News", untrue, "The licence was withdrawn for a period of 5 days”, untrue, the licences were revoked on the 25/4/19 and have not yet been re instated. Silent spring?, no dawn chorus due to the demise of the song bird population? Untrue, I hear it every morning.  90million songbirds lost since 1970? Quite possibly. Link below to the part domestic cats play in the demise of the songbird population, again not mentioned. He stated  there was vandalistic killing of millions of birds across the UK. and then when Susanna asked him how many were killed, he said he couldn’t answer the question putting the onus on the shooting bodies for not keeping records of numbers.  The whole interview was flawed and biased with only Mr Packhams' beliefs.  

I watched the interview, frankly, with despair. I do appreciate you both possibly have a pre ordained script to adhere to, but the reason GMTV is my favoured journalistic news platform, is that Piers in particular, will drive a subject to the truth. Piers, we have seen you removing your earphone, with the director screaming at you, as you continue to get a truthful response fro  your guest. Each time you do this, I applaud and respect you as a journalist for cutting through the evasive tactics used by many to expose the truth.

Unfortunately for the rural community, we do not have a media platform to educate the public on the realities of life in the country. Of course, there is Countryfile! This programme is so far from reality, its almost a source of irritating amusement. 

We live in a sanitised and media manipulated world, that is becoming completely out of control. The reality of life in the country is not what is fed to us all by the likes of Countryfile or indeed Chris Packham. The explosion of Badgers for example. Badgers are a key factor for the loss of Hedgehogs as part of their diet, and the spread of Bovine Tuberculosis which resulted in the slaughter of over 44,000 cattle in 2018. Did Countryfile televise these animals actually being slaughtered? Of course not, its far too shocking. But they will show the cuddly side of Badgers being fed so people can observe them. Crows. Sussana was tasked to raise the question with Chris Packham about this. Sussana, the crows don’t wait for a lamb to roll onto its back, they wait until the Ewe is giving birth to the second lamb, and whilst she is pre occupied with birthing, the crows will attack the fist un guarded lamb. They disable them by pecking out the eyes, then disembowel them.  Obviously this leads to an horrific death. Magpies will devour several nests of eggs and chicks of songbirds, waterfowl and game birds per day, the same with crows. The maths is extraordinary in the loss of the songbird population in the UK. I could go on, but know your time is incredibly short, and you will have your own researchers.

The original General licences, still available for viewing on Gov.uk, GL04, GL05,GL06 are for the protection of crop damage, Public heath, and the protection of wildlife. This is what we adhere to and manage the countryside for all concerned. They were revoked on 25.4.19, and contrary to Chris Packham’s untruth about them being revoked for 5 days only, they remain revoked.

I have included links below to the reality of what we in the country are trying to preserve and manage. I make no apologies for the graphic content, as this is the real story. I would ask you as responsible journalists,  not be manipulated by the likes of Mr Packham because his media machine is more able than that of ours.

I  am appealing to you both now, to please look at the current situation, and put pressure on GMTV to allow you both to report, the true facts behind the revoking of the general licences, and the catastrophic effect it is having on Farmers, and the rural community that support our farming industry, wildlife and countryside.

Yours sincerely

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spot on reads very well. Realistic and to the point no nonsense like what packham speaks. Piers Morgan Twitter account might be the best bet if any one has Twitter he seems to spend a lot of time on there. Unfortunately or fortunately I don't have any form of social media. Good luck hope you get a  response 

11 minutes ago, jason g said:

Spot on reads very well. Realistic and to the point no nonsense like what packham speaks. Piers Morgan Twitter account might be the best bet if any one has Twitter he seems to spend a lot of time on there. Unfortunately or fortunately I don't have any form of social media. Good luck hope you get a  response 

If anyone wants to forward it to Piers Morgan’s twitter account, crack on!

Well done i hope they look at the film clips you linked to and show them on TV.

We know how much Packham likes to protect Raptors, but one evening in my garden there was a hell of a racket from a group of Magpies at a Cherry tree, the next morning i found a Buzzard dead at the base of the tree killed by a mob of Magpies.

What would Packham do if his precious Raptor population went into decline because of his actions.