NE to be stripped of doing GL

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

And no longer have control of the GL. 

While Mr Gove may be considering removing this responsibility from NE and returning it to DEFRA in the longer term, any such move at this time might be counter productive. NE have been running with this for a week now trying to get licences drafted for Pigeon, Magpie etc; they are obviously struggling to come up with a workable document that goes some way to satisfying all parties and their legal department.

Taking the whole lot off NE`s plate and dumping it on DEFRA would probably mean further delay in getting these licence`s out. The interim CEO stated they would start to roll out commencing this week; we are now virtually at the end of the week and are now no further forward. Swapping departments now will, I would suggest, just make a bad situation even worse.

We could end up like a mini-Brexit, where they are still unable to come up with a workable document by late summer when the damage to crops, livestock etc has already been done.

NE, DEFRA or whoever has ultimate responsibility, should temporarily reinstate the old licenses, whilst newly worded legally compliant ones are consulted upon and agreed with the organisations that represent those that use the general licence!.....but I recon that it's far too simple!

15 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

NE, DEFRA or whoever has ultimate responsibility, should temporarily reinstate the old licenses, whilst newly worded legally compliant ones are consulted upon and agreed with the organisations that represent those that use the general licence!.....but I recon that it's far too simple!

Please let’s have no common sence to muddy the water ...defra , NE dosen’t do common sence let alone anything that could be described as simple solutions..

Its people like you that would have things running smoothly regardless of how many career civil servants would be made redundant..shame on you 😉

It's all getting very silly and particularly in view of the fact that it's all much simpler than even Panoma believes. NE got pegged because they were not detailing the pre-lethal validity checks that are required before the lethal options can be adopted. Ie, the non lethal options are deemed non effective. Wheras Defra were doing this before the work was handed over to NE. Consequently, all that was needed was for NE to obtain the information from Defra and include it in the 'new' licences. Half an hour's work per licence and sorted. But no, they're bureaucrats and their psyche is such that they're unavoidably compelled to interfere and make things difficult.

4 minutes ago, wymberley said:

It's all getting very silly and particularly in view of the fact that it's all much simpler than even Panoma believes. NE got pegged because they were not detailing the pre-lethal validity checks that are required before the lethal options can be adopted. Ie, the non lethal options are deemed non effective. Wheras Defra were doing this before the work was handed over to NE. Consequently, all that was needed was for NE to obtain the information from Defra and include it in the 'new' licences. Half an hour's work per licence and sorted. But no, they're bureaucrats and their psyche is such that they're unavoidably compelled to interfere and make things difficult.

Makes sense to me. 👍

1 hour ago, Miserableolgit said:

The WJ legal oiks found shortfalls in the way the pre lethal validity checks were administered with the old GL's so whatever department is tasked to carry things forward are not going to simply reinstate the old ones.

Argh! That I didn't know and thought I'd pretty much read everything, but obviously not. And according to the NGO, NE are simply going to make a right hash of writing the new ones.

I'm thinking they could reinstate them for 2019 to give them and our shooting reresentatives the time to thrash it out between them: Like wot WJ thought they were going to do to satisfy their interests.

Edited by Dave-G

10 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

Surely you would’ve thought they would have left the  Old GL in place until the new ones were sorted,  but now they’ve revoked I wonder if they can reinstate them for a while until the new ones are done 

Probably,but that's far too simple.What they're doing is travelling from London to Cornwall via Northumberland.

On a plus. Due to the time elapsed we will have tried ALL non leathal methods and if they haven't worked then leathal means can be used as soon as the GL is re issued.

The nests I destroyed prior to the "farce" have been rebuilt and are occupied🙁

8 minutes ago, gotgcoalman said:

Probably,but that's far too simple.What they're doing is travelling from London to Cornwall via Northumberland.

On a plus. Due to the time elapsed we will have tried ALL non leathal methods and if they haven't worked then leathal means can be used as soon as the GL is re issued.

The nests I destroyed prior to the "farce" have been rebuilt and are occupied🙁

That will be those new General Licences that were meant to be in place this week. not much time left today to get it sorted out then!

The links are from 2018, but not sure if it was fake news, cannot believe licences were granted to shoot some of the birds listed, but the way it is portrayed makes it look that way?....https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/endangered-birds-uk-britain-rare-species-shoot-hunting-laws-protection-rspb-a8685951.html

...https://twitter.com/JasonEndfield/status/1071393404028940288

37 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I'm thinking they could reinstate them for 2019 to give them and our shooting reresentatives the time to thrash it out between them: Like wot WJ thought they were going to do to satisfy their interests.

Yes that makes sense, But I suppose thinking about it they probably wouldn’t to  save  face.  If they done that they would have to admit they were wrong in the first place