Swifts

twenty

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been in Galway last week end quite a few swallows about and the odd martin  on the farm nice to see,  no where as many as when I was a little winkle  in the late 60s /70s now back in Coventry  no swallows loads of magpies just observed one this morning raiding a blackbird nest killing a hatchling while hen going berserk could not do anything legally  grieves me 

This year there are more swallows about on the farm then I've seen before. They had a super breeding season in 2018, and I think the heavy cranefly hatches we had here just before their migration hopefully put them in good condition for their long journey. It will be interesting to see how many are reared this year, if the number of pairs and last years success are anything to go by the electricity cables will be sagging! Hopefully the areas still waiting for swallows will have an influx soon.

Not seen any swifts yet, although I haven't been looking for them.

15 hours ago, Fuddster said:

anybody seen in the media reports of 140 million swallows being netted in Eygpt?-apparently they are a delicacy and huge numbers are being caught.Got to say that the number around York seem minimal compared to last 15 years.

f.

Not seen it, but it wouldn't surprise me............I wonder if Packhams seen it ?