The Cricket. - Jofra Archer

scolopax

So another foreigner plays for England. What are any PW cricket fans views on the inclusion of Jofra Archer? 

Born and raised in Barbados, played three times for West Indies under 18’s, came here after age of 18 to play professional cricket. Now qualifies for England, and has been selected, due to the fact his father has a British passport and he has completed the few years required residency.

Edited by scolopax

Back over time, Basil D'Olivera, Tony Greig, Bob Woolmer, Andrew Strauss and Kevin Peterson spring to mind..........

An Australian plays rugby for Ireland, a South African for Scotland and England have Vunipola and so on........

Provided the rules and requirements have been adhered to, I don't see the issue.

My question in all these cases is did the person move to the UK purely to play professional sport? If they did is not right they should then play for a UK representative team even if they qualify by residency.

If they moved for any other reason that’s okay. Basically it boils down to did they move as a child or an adult IMO.

Like a lot of sporting decisions, it's probably based on cash.

In the case of sportsman, particularly a fast bowler. They don't have long careers.

Unless you are lucky enough to be a golfer. You can even get a second bite of the cherry, playing on the senior tour.

Not that I am envious, wait just turned Green.

Edited by redial