muzzle break

terence

In simple terms yes a muzzle brake deflects the gasses and flame front from pushing passed the projectile to reduce both felt recoil and muzzle flip. In reality it is more effective on artillery as the pressures are considerably higher, and depending on how far the shell is being lobbed there maybe still a considerable amount of burning and expanding left in the charge once it has left the barrel. 

The ideal for rifles is that the powder is fully burnt before it has left the barrel but this is not always the case so, the expanded gasses and resultant pressure needs to exit the barrel. It is believed that not unlike a jet engine this release of gases contributes to felt recoil, although other arguments I have seen would suggest the most of it has already been produced by accelerating the projectile up to its velocity upon leaving the barrel. 

As you have observed and felt a good muzzle brake does deflect a considerable amount of energy sideways (and even back with some) and with larger faster rifle rounds every bit can help if target shooting.....

Edited by The Burpster
Typo

Brakes do reduce muzzle flip.. .. jump and do work, there are occasions when brakes can help with accuracy too, and adjustable brakes in theory are tunable to help with accuracy. Brownings had or have BOSS and there are Wetherby  acubrake   claim to help accuracy.

1 hour ago, terence said:

ive got one on my 223 behind it not bad people at side tell me im a  anti social *******

38 minutes ago, The Burpster said:

Think of the comments I get with my 6.5x55.......😂

Stand next to a short barreled 50 with a brake on, and you would come put with a few choice words. 

The effectiveness of the brakes depends on their design.  As some have already said, some brakes are there to help tune the barrel harmonics (although this is more commonly done with a very precisely adjustable end collar).  Brakes such as those supplied with the T3x Tac A1 are not as good a design as some of the gasses vent to the side, not back to the rear, so are less effective at recoil reduction.  Mine has stayed in the box since I bought the rifle.

Personally, having spent many unhappy hours over the years having to shoot next to people using them on ranges, I hate the bl**dy things!  Headache inducing contraptions.  A decent moderator is far more sociable and also reduces recoil and some ranges are now banning the use of Brakes as they not only are very unpleasant to shoot beside, but can cause flinch of ther shooters to the sides, which can be an unfair distraction in competition.

2 hours ago, Savhmr said:

The effectiveness of the brakes depends on their design.  As some have already said, some brakes are there to help tune the barrel harmonics (although this is more commonly done with a very precisely adjustable end collar).  Brakes such as those supplied with the T3x Tac A1 are not as good a design as some of the gasses vent to the side, not back to the rear, so are less effective at recoil reduction.  Mine has stayed in the box since I bought the rifle.

Personally, having spent many unhappy hours over the years having to shoot next to people using them on ranges, I hate the bl**dy things!  Headache inducing contraptions.  A decent moderator is far more sociable and also reduces recoil and some ranges are now banning the use of Brakes as they not only are very unpleasant to shoot beside, but can cause flinch of ther shooters to the sides, which can be an unfair distraction in competition.

I once compared being next to a 50 cal and receiving  the blast, similar to being wacked round the back of the head with a baseball bat. 

There's something about the feeling that  just cant see the fun in. 

Lol

Early days use was on the Thompson Machine Gun which had a tendency to rise at the muzzle tip during shooting, the engineering counter acted this so it wouldn't, not sure if that specifically reduced recoil but it did allow the gun to be fired in a pretty strait line.

As others have said they can work if they are properly engineered.  They need to be specifically engineered for twist, calibre and even speed, to make the most of them, and often they are not, so not all great.  

As others have also mentioned they are a pain (literally) for anyone close, and can genuinely make the ground move.

Personally, I hate the things and don't allow anyone out with me to use them.

Commonly just as good/better is a moderator.

:good:

Edited by Dekers