Welsh General Licence

Wild Justice has publicised the fact that it has instructed its solicitors to write to the the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish organisations that issue their General Licences. I see this as the ‘cheap’ way of getting similar results as achieved in England without moving to Judicial Review. 

Consequently I have sent this to my MP and AM:  

‘I hope you are aware of repercussions following the proposed action taken by Wild Justice (Chris Packham and others) against Natural England challenging the legality of the English General Licences. The revocation of the English GLs does not impact us in Wales directly. 

I note, however, that solicitors acting for Wild Justice have now written to Natural Resources Wales pointing out the outcome of their action against Natural England. 

Could I ask you to contact both NRW and Lesley Griffiths AM, Minister for Environment, Energy and Rural Affairs within the Welsh Government to seek their urgent confirmation that the Welsh General Licence will pass scrutiny. If they cannot give that assurance I would ask that you press them to address deficiencies expeditiously.’

Might be worth trying to get ahead of the game by as many as possible contacting our local MPs, NI, Scottish and Welsh Assembly and Parliament members. 

It cannot do any harm! 

The reply from my MP:

Thank you for your email, it was good of you to get in touch.

This whole situation regarding the revocation of these General Licences has been appalling. I have been in three meetings so far about this issue, and as Chair of the DEFRA backbench committee I have had a private meeting the Secretary of State, Michael Gove to discuss the issue and its potential ramifications in Wales.

The Welsh Assembly have been watching closely the developments in England, and I hope that the Welsh Government won’t be in a position where there is gap between a new system of licenses and the old. Even a gap of a few days would be problematic for farmers at this time of year.

I will continue to keep abreast of the situation and I will be meeting with colleagues next week to help work out a way forward.

Kind regards,

Chris Davies MP

I don’t think the GL001 for Wales is much different to the one we have just lost in England, it looks wide open to challenge from WJ

https://naturalresources.wales/permits-and-permissions/protected-species-licensing/uk-protected-species-licensing/general-licences-2019-birds/?lang=en

England, withdraw GL06…https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/797723/gl06-birds-conservation-licence.PDF

Edited by old'un