Changes To The General Licence

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BASC responds to revocation of general licences

Apr 23, 2019

BASC is advising members that Natural England (NE) is temporarily revoking three general licences in England for controlling certain wild birds from Thursday this week.

These licences (GL 04/05/06) cover 16 species of birds including several members of the crow family, Canada goose and some gulls and pigeons. There is uncertainty as to when the temporary revocation will end.

During that time, anyone needing to control one of these 16 bird species where there is no reasonable non-lethal alternative will need to apply for an individual licence. Natural England says it has simplified the process for applying for such a licence and details will be available on its gov.uk website on Thursday.

NE says this action is the first stage of a planned review of general and class licences, which will be completed this year. The change follows a legal challenge to the way the licences have been issued, which could mean users who rely on them are not acting lawfully.

Glynn Evans, BASC’s head of game and gundogs, said: “This change will clearly cause disruption and chaos and we urge people who may be affected to carefully follow the advice issued by Natural England.

“BASC is disappointed with the lack of notice from Natural England and we feel it unnecessarily puts people at risk of unwittingly falling foul of the law.

“It could not have come at a worse time for gamekeepers and other land managers, who are at a peak time for predator control to protect vulnerable wildlife and growing crops.

“We will be accepting Natural England’s offer of an urgent meeting to discuss these changes and the other issues around general licences. We will update our members at the earliest opportunity.”

The specific licences:

• General licence GL04: To kill or take certain species of wild birds to prevent serious damage or disease
  • General licence GL05: To kill or take certain species of wild birds to preserve public health or public safety
  • General licence GL06: To kill or take certain species of wild birds to conserve wild birds or flora or fauna

They do not include licences to protect crops.

well a lot of thought has gone into this. NOT.

population explosion of corvids and pigeon 🙄

damage to crops, song bird decline is on the cards if natural england don't get their fingers out .

surely they had a backup plan "just incase"

2 days notice is totally unreasonable.

we'll have to wait until the 25th and see what hoops need to be jumped through now.

GL04 is the general licence to protect serious damage to crops.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/763886/gl04-birds-prevent-damage-disease-licence.PDF

Let's hope that our landowners can apply for licences easily, more speedily than for cormorants for example.

Massive vegan own goal, they will have nothing to eat if the woodpigeons aren't controlled. 

I have contacted my MP

"I am writing to ask you to address/challenge/raise in Parliament Natural England's short-notice revocation of the General Licences GL04/05/06 under which it was lawful for landowners & pest controllers to shoot woodpigeons, crows, magpies etc. without needing to apply for a specific licence.

This was announced only today and is effective the day after tomorrow.

I shoot woodpigeons on a large local arable farm in (your constituency). It is the only effective method to protect growing crops which can be rendered uneconomic by woodpigeons grazing. This debacle will (unless NE puts sensible measures in place urgently) hugely impact the arable farming community and threaten the viability of crops across the country. Crops of peas, oilseed rape, wheat, corn, beans are all under threat.

The woodpigeons I shoot are not wasted - my family and friends enjoy this nutritious and ethical free-range wild meat.

May I request you swing into action to make sure that the general licences are reissued, or that suitable alternative licences are quickly issued to permit essential crop protection ?

The effect on nesting birds of the removal of the general licences permitting control of avian predators such as crows and magpies will also be quite deplorable. This could not have come at a worse time for a biodiverse countryside & wildlife.

For more information on the issue please see :

https://basc.org.uk/blog/uncategorized/natural-england-revoking-three-general-licences/

Many thanks Yours sincerely,"

for whatever good it might do

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/

sales of silenced shotguns will be at an all time high shortly :whistling:

5 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

so i was planning to go rook shooting .on saturday. so is that a no.no.

Yes yes.

You can bet every tree hugger knows and will be listening for BANGS on the 25th.

They'll all have plod or armed response on speed dial.