Changes To The General Licence

8 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

So her post didn't bring the very important issue to our attention then?

I'm assuming a new GL will be issued in the near future.

Arrangements by the 29th but the challenge is against the way that the licence is made available not the licence itself. I suspect that in future an application will have to be made. I have just put one in to NE. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mistrust officialdom as much as anyone, but the way I have read the information, it could possibly be a rewording of the GL in our favour.....will have to wait and see.

However, in the meantime, having to comply with GL04, GL05 or GL06 to shoot pigeons or corvids devastating crops and livestock, is at best, a mess. So a tidying up under one license makes sense.  Quote " Natural England is undertaking new licensing assessments to support lethal control of certain birds in defined situations, such as to prevent serious damage to livestock from carrion crow and to preserve public health and safety from the impacts of feral pigeons" 

It might just close the door to repeated attempts from certain celebrities, to threaten the commercial, employment and recreational activities via weakness in the understanding of the existing licenses, which we can clearly see, has been capitalised on.

Then rats .and squirrels .

Then slugs .flys .fleas and mosquitos .and then finally any bacteria that would kill you,You will need a special licence to get the medicine to keep you alive and its up to you to prove your worth saving .

Oh the joys of the loonies who walk amongst us acting like humans 

Edited by Ultrastu

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Surely NE via the police will need to inform all individual gun license holders of these changes? Otherwise the short notice of revocation, could lead to many shooters acting illegally and very reasonably using "I was not/have not been informed" as a defence?

15 minutes ago, ditchman said:

and i dont jest when i say coarse fishing..............commercial fishing exempt

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Lots of "good reason" will go also so the number of s1's will go down too. 

Well with a bit of luck someone at NE will have a sense of humour and a new improved General License will be issued soon with Buzzards and comorants added. Just for the pleasure of hearing Avery and Packham howl.

and personally it would be good if the geese species were removed from any new GL. 

Edited by scolopax
Spelling

Most of us, do what we do, under GL04. Obviously, we enjoy being frozen to death in the winter, to make sure there is a sustainable source of oil derived from Rapeseed! There are vague areas under that license, stubble, roost etc, which in all honesty, doesn't give us enough immunity and future protection from what we do. I am hoping (But won't hold my breath) that the new license would identify the massive losses to agriculture in various forms from pest species, and would in essence say, " It is legal to use lethal methods to control certain birds" and that would mean all Corvids and Pigeon ( being the main protagonists). It would make our involvement completely legal and removes any grey areas. 

4 minutes ago, marsh man said:

With a very large amount of pigeons shot in this country are on stubble's , I can see some worrying signs ahead .

Will roost shooting and flight line shooting soon be a thing of the past ?

It has occurred to me........how does shooting over stubbles comply with the general licence? Pigeons for example, can't damage a crop that's been harvested!

1 minute ago, turbo33 said:

Under GL04, "To prevent damage to crops" And thats the point, its too weak a statement and leaves us vulnerable .

I agree, I suspect that is why NE have done this.....because they believe wild justice will win if they hold the line and it goes to court?

4 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I always took it .that if your farm /perm still had growing crops (that could be damaged ) and you were shooting pigeons on the next door  subble field or so then you were protecting those crops .by diverting birds away and controlling them .

Again, thats the problem. In using that as a line compliance and defence, what crop would you be protecting next door to a stubble field..given farming practices and time of year? Not having a go, but what would would be your answer on an august/september morning if legally challenged?

This is exactly why it needs post haste review.

Edited by turbo33