Changes To The General Licence

1 hour ago, Miserableolgit said:

Perhaps the one you refer to concerned his "nasty brigade" comments and was back in 2016..

BBC Trust investigates Chris Packham over 'nasty brigade' comments

That looks like 2016, which is too recent.  Comments on the 'keep him' petition which gained 80,000 names were 4 years ago. 

Fact is - he ruthlessly uses the public platform the (meant to be unbiased) publicly funded BBC kindly provides him with (along with a no doubt generous salary) to promote his own quite seriously biased agenda.  That is why I would like to see him loose his public broadcasting platform.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

That looks like 2016, which is too recent.  Comments on the 'keep him' petition which gained 80,000 names were 4 years ago. 

Fact is - he ruthlessly uses the public platform the (meant to be unbiased) publicly funded BBC kindly provides him with (along with a no doubt generous salary) to promote his own quite seriously biased agenda.  That is why I would like to see him loose his public broadcasting platform.

Indeed and I agree completely. However what many people overlook is the BBC often hires in its performer  "talent" on a job by job basis the fees being negotiated by the agent of said "talent".  Therefore all these calls to sack him are inappropriate as he is not BBC staff, what they should be demanding is for the Corporation to cease and desist engaging this particuar "talent" as a presenter / host in any future productions. Clearly his actions as an environmental / political spokesperson go against some the conditions of the BBC Charter.

Edited by Miserableolgit

Ok 

lets put a more positive energy into this 

how would you like the new general license to be written 

what should it say? 

Its easy to moan and knock 

offer a solution

maybe the powers that be will take some of the ideas on board 

don’t hold back 

mods /op if this is in the wrong place my apologies please move 

of 

7 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

Indeed and I agree completely. However what many people overlook is the BBC often hires in its performer  "talent" on a job by job basis the fees being negotiated by the agent of said "talent".  Therefore all these calls to sack him are inappropriate as he is not BBC staff, what they should be demanding is for the Corporation to cease and desist engaging this particuar "talent" as a presenter / host in any future productions. Clearly his actions as an environmental / political spokesperson go against some the conditions of the BBC Charter.

Technically - I'm sure you are correct; sack isn't the right word.  He should be removed from the list of 'eligible talent' on the basis that he is not unbiased and is given to misusing the BBC as a platform for his own biased views

4 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Ok 

what should it say? 

offer a solution

don’t hold back 

of 

The holder of this licence can shoot any of the 16 birds on the list anywhere he/she has permission without the need to try all non-lethal methods first.

How’s that for a start?

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

The holder of this licence can shoot any of the 16 birds on the list anywhere he/she has permission without the need to try all non-lethal methods first.

How’s that for a start?

Ok thanks for reading and replying 

do you still want to be able to use Larson and ladder traps? 

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

NE to accept shooting within the law is a very reliable and effective way to control pest species of birds, so crack on!

?????????????????????

That's as maybe but cracking on in the immediate future without a specific licence is a no no!

Wow home from work and an hour of reading this thread has me all caught up .

Lot to take in .

I still think the 16 species  should not be on the general licence at all and be in the same catagory as pest mammals .

The new gl. Can be for cormarants etc .

That would solve all the applying etc .

No money to be made though .

2 hours ago, Zapp said:

I just heard about the dead crow thing on the radio on the way back from the station.

Well, that's all the momentum handed over to those who want shooting banned then.  The first thing most of the public (who for the most part are instinctively against shooting) are hearing is that some mouth-breathers have gone and hung a load of dead things on CP's gate in response to the legal challenge, which will reinforce all the kneejerk biases about us.  Any attempt to put forward a counternarrative in favour of shooting now will now be hijacked and our message will be lost while spokesmen have to distance themselves from what has happened.

This is the first time in this whole thing I've genuinely worried that the writing may be on the wall.  I've shot since I was 9and have taught my sons to shoot - I'm bitterly angry that at such a crucial moment someone who is ostensibly "one of us" may have just put it all in jeapordy.  We are cursed by far too many liabillities with guns who are going to ruin it for everyone I fear.

Utterly, utterly in despair.

I'm afraid that there's a large element of truth in this. They're made up of people who have no idea (or, perhaps have but completely ignore it) what the GL IS and seem to think that wandering around and taking the odd pot-shot at any of the species listed falls within the licence criteria. With any luck, the revised regulations will correct this fallacy. Should this be the case and the legislation is tightened up - not necessarily as immediately as the temporary conditions being released shortly - would mean that the antis now have their ammunition with which to obtain the prosecution of any offender which was lacking in the previous vague legislation. However, the big mistake would be to believe that that's as bad as it's going to get. WJ will be on a roll. At least two posts have pointed out the indirect source of the need for the GL and if we don't Brexit a damned sight sooner rather than later then it's my belief that there's worse to come. We Brits have had the temerity to express a wish to leave the EU. This has upset the 27 and we're non too popular and they'll be looking for revenge. All it needs is an eloquent anti whose agenda is to curtail grouse (or any other game) shooting in the UK is to whisper one word in a receptive European ear - Jagdschein.

Is it only England don’t think it applies here in Northern Ireland but with that bloke Peckham hope he’s named right this could only be the start what’s to stop them going after fixing or lamping rabbits I’m not trying to scaremongering but I hope the BASC Etc go to trenches and fight this like mad 

Hard enough shooting pigeons now this

6 hours ago, Max Hirst said:

Are we going to get compensated for our guns & pigeon equipment etc if we can not pigeon shoot any more and compensated properly for what they are worth.

Which will be next (grouse, pheasant shooting, deer stalking it’s only a matter of time before the do Goode’s get there way

hi thank you

It is clear to me that you don't have the first clue what has happened.

6 hours ago, Davetyler said:

Thats what i thought john i think the only thing that they can change is pigeon shooting after crop, as long as there is crop in a field its our job to protect it 

I don't just want to shoot pigeons where there is a crop that they might eat.

New licences are up, but...

I'm not filling my details in to be leaked or shared with the loony tree hugger, burn your house down with you asleep in it, brigade. Pigeons or no pigeons. Sod that, not with the people who are currently at the helm of NE.

Good luck to anyone that applies. Maybe invest in an extinguisher or two, and some surveillance.

Edited by mick miller

So you didn't bother to read the context then!

40 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Ok 

what should it say? 

offer a solution

don’t hold back 

of 

34 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

NE to accept shooting within the law is a very reliable and effective way to control pest species of birds, so crack on!

Now read them one after the other!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

41 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Ok 

what should it say? 

offer a solution

don’t hold back 

of 

It should say Chris Packham on the general license until 29th April. 

5 minutes ago, motty said:

I don't just want to shoot pigeons where there is a crop that they might eat.

Then I suspect you will struggle to get a license on the 'individual' basis.  Ad for a future 'General' license, we will have to see what the future brings, but my guess is that it will 'roll down' the inference that shooting can only be removed to control an unwanted species when all other methods have been found unsatisfactory/unsuitable.

My guess is that any form of 'fun', or sporting will not be permitted.

Only my opinion of what may happen