Changes To The General Licence

8 minutes ago, mick miller said:

New licences are up, but...

I'm not filling my details in to be leaked or shared with the loony tree hugger, burn your house down with you asleep in it, brigade. Pigeons or no pigeons. Sod that, not with the people who are currently at the helm of NE.

Good luck to anyone that applies. Maybe invest in an extinguisher or two, and some surveillance.

These are temporary surely? Why do we have to disclose who we are all of a sudden 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ShootingEgg said:

These are temporary surely? Why do we have to disclose who we are all of a sudden 

These are (I think) the individual licenses - which are all they are issuing at present.  New 'General licenses' are still 'work in progress' and no one knows what they will require.  That is my understanding.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Then I suspect you will struggle to get a license on the 'individual' basis.  Ad for a future 'General' license, we will have to see what the future brings, but my guess is that it will 'roll down' the inference that shooting can only be removed to control an unwanted species when all other methods have been found unsatisfactory/unsuitable.

My guess is that any form of 'fun', or sporting will not be permitted.

Only my opinion of what may happen

Damage can be caused by birds without them feeding- take geese trampling new growth crop with their paddles as an example. Another example would be magpies dropping car aerials straight into salad crop (raw product)- you should see the cost when 15 tonnes of spinach is rejected thanks to a car aerial more than half a mile from the nearest road.

Please provide details of the damage being incurred. Note that damage must related to an economic interest
and be serious, which means more than mere nuisance, minor damage or normal business risk
. Include details
of the extent and nature of damage and how this is being caused by the species which you are applying to
control:

Define that one.

Note that in considering whether or not to grant a licence, Natural England needs to be satisfied that there
is no satisfactory alternative solution to resolving the problem.

Have you tried any alternative methods of preventing the serious damage? Yes No

General Licence Notification Form Serious Damage or Disease - 19-03 (version April 2019 Page 4 of 6
Please identify from the list below the applicable techniques that you have considered and
attempted, and explain how these have been ineffective or impractical. Note that in considering
whether or not to grant a licence, Natural England needs to be satisfied that there is no satisfactory
alternative solution to resolving the problem.

Alternative Methods:
Visual deterrents
Auditory deterrents
Physical barriers, ie, proofing, exclusion
Human disturbance
Shooting to scare
Restricting access to food supply
Crop management, i.e. planting sacrificial crops, Spring-sown crops
Animal husbandry and management, ie, checking and removing sick animals
Habitat management, ie, for outdoor reared livestock
Modification of roost/loafing areas, ie, of the birds considered to be causing the problem
Other, as specified:

(you have to then specify a: Details of how the technique has been considered or used and b. Details of how the technique has been ineffective or impractical for each.)

Please note that it is a condition of the licence that reasonable endeavours must continue to be made to
resolve the problem using appropriate lawful methods.

Important Advice

· Natural England can modify or revoke at any time any licence that may be issued but this will not be done unless there are good reasons for doing so.

· Any notification for a licence is likely to be revoked immediately if it is discovered that false information had been provided which resulted in the registration for a licence.

· Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, any person who in order to obtain a licence knowingly or recklessly makes a statement or representation, or furnishes a document or information which is false in a material particular, shall be guilty of an offence and may be liable to criminal prosecution. Any person found guilty of such an offence may be liable to an unlimited fine.

Edited by mick miller

1 minute ago, ShootingEgg said:

So technically roost shooting was never legal? 

Seems to me what a lot of people got up to under the guise of the GL was not actually allowed.

Then there were those who frankly haven't a clue about GL conditions, and just heard something was on the GL so think they can shoot it whenever they like.

Shooting Pigeons on stubble was always something that confused me, when those involved suggested it was for crop protection, seems a bit thin when the crop has been harvested!

Let me be clear here, this kneejerk reaction to Packham is a pain and will detrimentally effect many, but it may at least be a wake up call for some!

6 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Doubt that will happen- Govt departments are so stripped of funds as it is these days, to manage massive new admin will take a huge uplift in budget. That might require Hammond to announce those funds in the Spring budget? Could backfire if the public realise they are getting ripped off to satisfy some BBC / trendy vegan wallys when everything worked fine before.

13 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

So technically roost shooting was never legal? 

Perfectly legal if you happen to be wanting to foster additional oak trees for your woodland and want to protect the acorns would be my argument. Or to preemptively reduce the large groups before they wallop the Spring rape (that might be stretching it!).

10 minutes ago, oowee said:

Please wait... If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document.

new licence lol. 

You just need to be smarter than the form, that's the trouble with Remainers....

Screenshot 2019-04-25 at 19.40.01.png

Edited by mick miller

5 minutes ago, motty said:

I am cynical. Could Packham have planted these dead animals himself?

Motty you're obviously working as hard as me and are just catching up, ..............this is an idea suggested a few reply ago and imo carries weight!

Edited by turbo33

Plus, that's for one individual, on one field. So, you have a couple of farms, with plots spread around, by reckoning, with the land I shoot over that's about 20 forms.

They've killed Kenny. Plus, I ain't sharing my name and address with some faceless individual.

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

If the landowner fill the forms in , would you still need to fill the form in if the owner gave you the go ahead for crop protection ?

Yes.

It is the applicant's responsibility to obtain the owner or occupier's permissions to act under licence on their property;.

Drowned in red tape. **** it, I'm done, if you lot won't write to lobby your MPs over this your pheasant and grouse shooting will be next.

Edited by mick miller

Just as I thought in some of my earlier posts we have got to show we have tried non-lethal method first.

Please identify from the list below the applicable techniques that you have considered and

attempted, and explain how these have been ineffective or impractical. Note that in considering

whether or not to grant a licence, Natural England needs to be satisfied that there is no satisfactory

alternative solution to resolving the problem.

Predictably un believable! Plant sacrificial crops,  Auditory detterants....Cliff Richard CD........Physical barrier............300ft concrete wall.........modification of roosting areas.......remove all the woodlands.......

You couldn't make it up!!!