Changes To The General Licence

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

And with a bit of luck Scotland and wales can meet any future events with more consultation and perhaps a better outcome.

Agreed but can't get me head round it , you'd think they would  be of a similar format so would have affected all .

Edited by Remimax
spelling

3 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

And with a bit of luck Scotland and wales can meet any future events with more consultation and perhaps a better outcome.

I suspect they are happy to just watch our grief at the moment and then copy our new methods/wording!

1 minute ago, Remimax said:

Agreed but can't get me head round it , you'd think they would all be of a similar format so would have affected all .

Scottish and welsh got their act together . Englands NE got things wrong Packham Jumped court case New bod at Natural england Started new job Tuesday morning pulled the General licences and we are Paying the price, You could not make this up.  And of course none of it contrived They pulled all this little lot together in just two days . It stinks.

2 minutes ago, Remimax said:

Agreed but can't get me head round it , you'd think they would all be of a similar format so would have affected all .

They are issued by Natural Resources Wales and Scottish Natural Heritage in Scotland.

Whilst the GL's have been similar in these countries to those issued by Natural England they tend to be marginally different.

I'm sure they will be watching our situation with interest!

4 minutes ago, Dekers said:

I suspect they are happy to just watch our grief at the moment and then copy our new methods/wording!

I dont think they will be gloating , i think they will get proper consultation though and be given time and a chance.  I wish the Scottish and welsh people all the best, i would not wish this on anyone. 

4 minutes ago, Dekers said:

Whilst the GL's have been similar in these countries to those issued by Natural England they tend to be marginally different.

I think the key difference is that the English license issuer was due in court, so acted 'hastily'.  As far as I know, there is no pending court case (yet) against the Scottish and Welsh license issuers.

2 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I dont think they will be gloating , i think they will get proper consultation though and be given time and a chance.  I wish the Scottish and welsh people all the best, i would not wish this on anyone. 

I wasn't trying to suggest they were gloating, just happy its us not them and learning from our mistakes and new methods.

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think the key difference is that the English license issuer was due in court, so acted 'hastily'.  As far as I know, there is no pending court case (yet) against the Scottish and Welsh license issuers.

Agreed, that is no doubt why they will be watching our situation with interest and you can almost guarantee they will implement similar changes as NE make over time!

1 minute ago, Dekers said:

I wasn't trying to suggest they were gloating, just happy its us not them and learning from our mistakes and new methods.

No and i did not mean it to sound like you were gloating either, i dont type i speech to text on phone and it comes out wrong now and again. Sorry.  And i agree of course, lets hope they avoid what we have found ourselves in through no fault of our own,

3 minutes ago, Dekers said:

Agreed, that is no doubt why they will be watching our situation with interest and you can almost guarantee they will implement similar changes as NE make over time!

I think that is right.

14 hours ago, mick miller said:

I am concerned about the apparent alliances formed between NE, RSPB, WJ and the Environment Secretary. Whilst the recent events appear to be a hiccup, the relentless onslaught of Avery and Packham will continue unless the apparent alliances between the RSPB and NE are undone.

You can find out who your local MP is here: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/

This is a copy of the letter I recently sent to my MP, I feel it is important that the matter is at least discussed in Parliament; there appear to be some unholy alliances forming that will, ultimately, affect all our lives.

Maybe just how it works and why we are always in trouble, unholy alliances behind closed doors?

Finally got the documents to open on my Windows 10 laptop. Using the application links at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-control-certain-species

1. Right click on the type of licence applicable and select "Save Link As"
  2. This will open up a window where you can choose where on your computer you wish to save the document. By default this is usually in your downloads folder. I created a new folder in "Downloads" and called it "NE Licences" and saved all the documents in there for easy location.
  3. Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your machine. You can do this by opening Adobe Reader and select "check for updates" in the help menu at the top left of the page.
  4. Navigate to wherever you downloaded the documents to and click on the one you wish to open. Alternatively open Adobe Acrobat Reader, select File and select the saved document from there.

Basically the issue is not to rely on your browsers version of Adobe Reader to open the documents. You MUST use the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

I think our greatest ally is the farmer................when he starts to see flocks of brazen pigeon chomping ..undisturbed on his crops and there is nothing he can do about it...........and pigeon numbers will increase....he / she will start to make noises........it will be like the end of the game season when all the pheasants ..just suddenly appear...........

i can only just wonder what the farmers will be thinking in areas ..where motty ...muncher ...PC...and in the cotsworlds....where they see lines of birds just dropping in like locusts onto their crops.............

the farmers wont want to fill yet more paperwork in ...they will want it sorted ...............

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

I think our greatest ally is the farmer................when he starts to see flocks of brazen pigeon chomping ..undisturbed on his crops and there is nothing he can do about it...........and pigeon numbers will increase....he / she will start to make noises........it will be like the end of the game season when all the pheasants ..just suddenly appear...........

i can only just wonder what the farmers will be thinking in areas ..where motty ...muncher ...PC...and in the cotsworlds....where they see lines of birds just dropping in like locusts onto their crops.............

the farmers wont want to fill yet more paperwork in ...they will want it sorted ...............

Think theres been some figures put out that currently there are about 12m pigeon population, with X number of broods per year, meaning that if all eggs hatch and survive we could be upto 70m+ population within a year. 

44 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

Finally got the documents to open on my Windows 10 laptop. Using the application links at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-control-certain-species

1. Right click on the type of licence applicable and select "Save Link As"
  2. This will open up a window where you can choose where on your computer you wish to save the document. By default this is usually in your downloads folder. I created a new folder in "Downloads" and called it "NE Licences" and saved all the documents in there for easy location.
  3. Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your machine. You can do this by opening Adobe Reader and select "check for updates" in the help menu at the top left of the page.
  4. Navigate to wherever you downloaded the documents to and click on the one you wish to open. Alternatively open Adobe Acrobat Reader, select File and select the saved document from there.

Basically the issue is not to rely on your browsers version of Adobe Reader to open the documents. You MUST use the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Its pointless applying for these licences…

Scenario, I am driving down the lane and I spot a field of barley getting hammered by pigeons and blacks, I have good idea who owns the field so I knock on his door, and get permission to shoot…..but! before I can do that I need to apply for a licence (no one knows how long that will take) the killer for most will be the part where it asks what non-lethal method you have tried first, the same will apply for winter rape, the wording makes it not possible to apply before any damage is being caused.

I have some maize due to-be sown in the next couple of weeks, these particular fields always get hit by blacks whenever they are sown with corn, ideally I would like to be ready at short notice to shoot these fields but I will be unable because I can only apply for a licence if serious (their wording) damage is being done.

The whole licence and wording is a total joke, I honestly believe this situation will be the end for most people unless we can get changes to the licence.  

19-03-prevent-serious-damage.pdf

i remember back in the 1960's.....when it was a common occurance to see fields of blue (infestations of pigeon)..........you could walk from one side of the field to the other without stepping onto the bare earth................we would often be allowed to watch the "motar netting" of birds...and all farmers had pest control cartridges......and there were very few pigeon shooters about.............bangers in fields and old unreliable carbide gas guns were the farmers arsenal............

i would like to know of motties...munchers....Pc's opinion of what is going to happen regards pigeon numbers.........