Changes To The General Licence

19 minutes ago, ditchman said:

I think our greatest ally is the farmer................when he starts to see flocks of brazen pigeon chomping ..undisturbed on his crops and there is nothing he can do about it...........and pigeon numbers will increase....he / she will start to make noises........it will be like the end of the game season when all the pheasants ..just suddenly appear...........

i can only just wonder what the farmers will be thinking in areas ..where motty ...muncher ...PC...and in the cotsworlds....where they see lines of birds just dropping in like locusts onto their crops.............

the farmers wont want to fill yet more paperwork in ...they will want it sorted ...............

I have one farmer keeping me updated on this mess,he is obviously worried.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I’ve brill my mazie in on Monday and I know when the shoots come through the crows will be all over it.

If I put a couple of scarecrows out and use a gas gun to no avail. Reading below I can still shoot them if I email NE and explain what I’ve done to stop them to no avail I can still shoot them legally till the license comes through.??? Is this correct.F0467B91-0814-4459-962B-4F6DB4DA37DE.png.5c4c12cafa8565bd88fa74d8d043128f.png

Is Packham and his cohorts going to accept responsibility if there is a outbreak of "Avian Flu"due to his actions which will decimate all forms of birds he wants to protect also the Poultry industry and families with birds kept as pets, with his crowd funding cash/donations is his organisation a "Charity"where they take out a substantial amount of the donations for so called expenses .Lastly "alternative methods" some one suggested "gas guns" I am a member of 2 clubs and at present are having complaints from neighbours in the immediate area are complaining regarding the noise from the range during the recognised  regulated times of use  so how will the locals accept the noise from "gas guns"on the farmland close by.

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

I think our greatest ally is the farmer................when he starts to see flocks of brazen pigeon chomping ..undisturbed on his crops and there is nothing he can do about it...........and pigeon numbers will increase....he / she will start to make noises........it will be like the end of the game season when all the pheasants ..just suddenly appear...........

i can only just wonder what the farmers will be thinking in areas ..where motty ...muncher ...PC...and in the cotsworlds....where they see lines of birds just dropping in like locusts onto their crops.............

the farmers wont want to fill yet more paperwork in ...they will want it sorted ...............

you maybe correct but talking to a couple of farmers they don’t seem to worried, one said I will just have to get more bangers and hawk kites, its possible there will be more innovations from the people who make bird scaring equipment, where there’s a demand there’s a market.

Just came off the phone to the CA (much better informed it seems), it looks like there will be a licence issued tomorrow to cover crows for livestock, with a GL for pigeons to follow in the next few days. NE are worried that, now that can of worms is open, the lobbying bodies that seek to put further restrictions in place are going to be going over everything with a fine tooth comb looking for chinks in the legislation. So it's good news for our sheep farmers as it appears that a return to normal (without the requirement to put everything other than your blood type onto a database) will be happening soon.

After the dust has settled I would imagine some of the individuals, their relationships and responsibilities will be scrutinised in depth.

Edited by mick miller

9 minutes ago, old'un said:

Its pointless applying for these licences…

Scenario, I am driving down the lane and I spot a field of barley getting hammered by pigeons and blacks, I have good idea who owns the field so I knock on his door, and get permission to shoot…..but! before I can do that I need to apply for a licence (no one knows how long that will take) the killer for most will be the part where it asks what non-lethal method you have tried first, the same will apply for winter rape, the wording makes it not possible to apply before any damage is being caused.

I have some maize due to-be sown in the next couple of weeks, these particular fields always get hit by blacks whenever they are sown with corn, ideally I would like to be ready at short notice to shoot these fields but I will be unable because I can only apply for a licence if serious (their wording) damage is being done.

The whole licence and wording is a total joke, I honestly believe this situation will be the end for most people unless we can get changes to the licence.  

19-03-prevent-serious-damage.pdf 2.26 MB · 3 downloads

Yep of course these so called licences are totally unworkable in the real world. But people need to be able to access and see the documents in order to discover that for themselves. My post was to assist them to do so as many people are reporting issues.

6 minutes ago, mick miller said:

Just came off the phone to the CA (much better informed it seems), it looks like there will be a licence issued tomorrow to cover crows for livestock, with a GL for pigeons to follow in the next few days. NE are worried that, now that can of worms is open, the lobbying bodies that seek to put further restrictions in place are going to be going over everything with a fine tooth comb looking for chinks in the legislation. So it's good news for our sheep farmers as it appears that a return to normal (without the requirement to put everything other than your blood type onto a database) will be happening soon.

After the dust has settled I would imagine some of the individuals, their relationships and responsibilities will be scrutinised in depth.

are you saying the licence application form that is up and running on the NE website will be changed?

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

are you saying the licence application form that is up and running on the NE website will be changed?

The 'individual' license that is up now was always to be the 'emergency quick fix' whilst they got a proper and legally sound General license as I understood it.

29 minutes ago, The gouse said:

So I’ve brill my mazie in on Monday and I know when the shoots come through the crows will be all over it.

If I put a couple of scarecrows out and use a gas gun to no avail. Reading below I can still shoot them if I email NE and explain what I’ve done to stop them to no avail I can still shoot them legally till the license comes through.??? Is this correct.F0467B91-0814-4459-962B-4F6DB4DA37DE.png.5c4c12cafa8565bd88fa74d8d043128f.png

If that was from the NE website then yes.

New general licences will go live on GOV.UK from next week commencing 29 April. These will:

• cover the majority of circumstances previously covered by the revoked general licences, GL04, GL05 and GL06
  • ensure landowners can continue to take necessary action, whilst also taking into account the needs of wildlife

If you need to act within the law before these are ready, use the relevant application form on this page to apply for a licence to control certain wild bird species

It is my opinion (no doubt others will differ) but I believe the very clever Mr Packham has a second agenda.

ALL these licences are stating shooting wild birds, "damaging" crops or "protection" from disease.

What do you think we'll need for game birds which (like it or not) are killed for sport and Mr Packham (and many others) really hate that.

What's the difference between a "terrorist" and a "freedom fighter"?

The terrorist hasn't won, yet.

All this passive chatter will result in diddly squat. "800,000 shooters affected" - was it on the BBC / ITV? No. Active resistance (like parking a boat in London, gluing yourself to roads and blocking the UK's no1 airport) is the only  way to get noticed.

Shooting is ******d.

Just spoken to the Natural England call centre who have told me the following.

At the moment a licence is needed for each farm that you have permission to shoot and full addresses and grid references are required with a good reason to shoot.

When I stated that I have permission on18 farms so would require 18 individual applications, his reply was un printable!

He then stated that on Monday, a new general licence was due to be issued that was in essence, the same arrangement as the old withdrawn one but with specific named species and

there would be no application required from shooters or farmers.

If this is correct then problem solved but wait and see.

Chairman

9 minutes ago, chairman said:

Just spoken to the Natural England call centre who have told me the following.

At the moment a licence is needed for each farm that you have permission to shoot and full addresses and grid references are required with a good reason to shoot.

When I stated that I have permission on18 farms so would require 18 individual applications, his reply was un printable!

He then stated that on Monday, a new general licence was due to be issued that was in essence, the same arrangement as the old withdrawn one but with specific named species and

there would be no application required from shooters or farmers.

If this is correct then problem solved but wait and see.

Chairman

Hope that happens.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

you maybe correct but talking to a couple of farmers they don’t seem to worried, one said I will just have to get more bangers and hawk kites, its possible there will be more innovations from the people who make bird scaring equipment, where there’s a demand there’s a market.

Most of the farms and land I go on who are the owners , more so the smaller ones are not that keen on filling forms up when it comes as part of running the farm and to do with there income let alone going through all the necessary work involved in letting somebody try and shoot over there crops .

I cannot see them getting to excited in all the work required in letting you go on each time you wanted to shoot a few pigeons .

14 minutes ago, blade said:

You don't need to apply it will be just like the old one but worded different.People only need to apply now if you have to shoot over the weekend.I for one can wait 2 days to see what happens 

Hope you are correct but can I ask where you got your info from, or a link.