Changes To The General Licence

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, blade said:

Thanks for the link, I can see nothing that relates to us being able to carry on as before, I will wait and see but I feel we will still need to apply for a licence.

New general licences will go live on GOV.UK from next week commencing 29 April. These will:

• cover the majority of circumstances previously covered by the revoked general licences, GL04, GL05 and GL06

• ensure landowners can continue to take necessary action, whilst also taking into account the needs of wildlife

If you need to act within the law before these are ready, use the relevant application form on this page to apply for a licence to control certain wild bird species.

4 minutes ago, blade said:

Did you have to apply for the general licence before ? 

No, but things have changed since then.

3 minutes ago, blade said:

Did you have to apply for the general licence before ? 

No. 

But the legal challenge is all about NE not abdicating responsibility for agreeing that lethal methods are appropriate. As it stands legally the decision is theirs, not ours. 

There is no way they can meet that criteria without an application process. 

In my 6 decades on old mother earth this is one of the few times that I can recall that I have felt really,  and I mean really, brassed off with "authorities" who issue this or that edict and the population is supposed to touch our respective forelock's safe in the knowledge that they have our very best interests at heart.

Bad mood Friday.

15 minutes ago, squirrelhall said:

To late thousands of crows of all species and pigeons passing over my house crossing the border prepare for mass immigration

..probably "Wee Jimmy" has promised them a vote in her next devolution referendum?

20 minutes ago, blade said:

All we can do is wait and see i can go 2 days without crop protecting 😁

Sorry I thought in your earlier post you had info to that effect?

You don't need to apply it will be just like the old one but worded different.People only need to apply now if you have to shoot over the weekend.I for one can wait 2 days to see what happens”

2 hours ago, chairman said:

Just spoken to the Natural England call centre who have told me the following.

At the moment a licence is needed for each farm that you have permission to shoot and full addresses and grid references are required with a good reason to shoot.

When I stated that I have permission on18 farms so would require 18 individual applications, his reply was un printable!

He then stated that on Monday, a new general licence was due to be issued that was in essence, the same arrangement as the old withdrawn one but with specific named species and

there would be no application required from shooters or farmers.

If this is correct then problem solved but wait and see.

Chairman

Good, here's hoping. My application has bounced back three times now so I will just wait & see. Ta v much !

13 minutes ago, Teal said:

Friend said the same when he applied, I couldn't even view the form to print it. I'm going to wait until Monday. Absolute joke.

Yep, lets hope come Monday we can all breathe a sigh of relief, as you say its been an absolute joke.

Hopefully on Moday we'll have new GL's that meet the legal criteria and we don't have to submit 20+ applications via the current process.

I think last nights and todays debarcle was a knee jerk reaction/bodge to at least allow people to apply (and still effectively shoot) until things are clearer on Monday.

It isn't easy to suddenly put in place an IT process that supports what NE have tried to achieve. It's a mess, but hardly surprising.

Roll on Monday.

Edited by hedge

3 hours ago, sam triple said:

just heard some one has released a record regarding the plight and decline of song birds in this country I wander if Packham and his crew will be buying it or contributing to it in any way

I saw that on both sky and BBC....it was the RSPB releasing it . The spokespersons said the decline was due to "Farming Practices".

Edited by wyn

On 24/04/2019 at 09:54, bluesj said:

As this all started with eu law in the first place (i think) but was just rubber stamped in to uk law with the gl being a quick fix when it was realised a cock up had been made, what are the rules for other eu contries?

In Germany they can only be shot after they have migrated south to the med = a stupid hunting law as a sap to the antis.

BB

52 minutes ago, wyn said:

I saw that on both sky and BBC....it was the RSPB releasing it . The spokespersons said the decline was due to "Farming Practices".

Laughable.... 

52 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

well it looks like out tomorrow out after squirrels and rabbits  for a while.

Ive been stalking and foxing..