Changes To The General Licence

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Davetyler said:

Has anyone managed to get one. A lot of people are scratching ther head. I can get the form off my computer then what do i do? Fill it in and send it by post that they will prob only recive monday anyways. 

Yeah but by posting it you have therefore applied and then are ok to shoot if these criteria apply:

If you need to kill birds before you get a licence

If you require lethal control to be carried out before the determination of your licence application then you may not commit an offence provided that you do the following.

You must be able to show that your action is necessary for the purpose of:

• preserving public health or public safety or air safety;
  • preventing the spread of disease; or
  • preventing serious damage to livestock, their foodstuffs, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, fisheries or inland waters. You must also be able to show that there was no other satisfactory solution available for preventing such serious damage.

In addition you must have submitted the relevant application for a licence for the relevant purpose above and notified Natural England.

If action is taken to prevent serious damage outlined above, Natural England must be notified as soon as reasonably practical after you have taken the action. This can be done by sending an email to birds2019@naturalengland.org.uk.

I am of the personal opinion that maybe a few here are running on way too fast.

The crux of the challenge from my understanding will be the proof in effectiveness of the failure of non lethal controls?

What are they, how many have to fail before a proven case for lethal controls to be approved? I bet the "Wild ones" have thought this through?

If this loophole is not closed the challenge may well go ahead and win?

Just hoping I am wrong?

15 minutes ago, old man said:

I am of the personal opinion that maybe a few here are running on way too fast.

The crux of the challenge from my understanding will be the proof in effectiveness of the failure of non lethal controls?

What are they, how many have to fail before a proven case for lethal controls to be approved? I bet the "Wild ones" have thought this through?

If this loophole is not closed the challenge may well go ahead and win?

Just hoping I am wrong?

you are perhaps correct in what you say as WJ have been quoted many times using words like, serious damage, only after non-lethal methods have been shown to be ineffective, shooting must be the last resort, think WJ will be looking very hard at the wording of the new licences due out Monday.

Just seen this on their website..

‘Our successful legal challenge may well have implications for what happens in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and we will be bringing this to the attention of the other statutory agencies’

7 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

Finally got the documents to open on my Windows 10 laptop. Using the application links at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-control-certain-species

1. Right click on the type of licence applicable and select "Save Link As"
  2. This will open up a window where you can choose where on your computer you wish to save the document. By default this is usually in your downloads folder. I created a new folder in "Downloads" and called it "NE Licences" and saved all the documents in there for easy location.
  3. Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your machine. You can do this by opening Adobe Reader and select "check for updates" in the help menu at the top left of the page.
  4. Navigate to wherever you downloaded the documents to and click on the one you wish to open. Alternatively open Adobe Acrobat Reader, select File and select the saved document from there.

Basically the issue is not to rely on your browsers version of Adobe Reader to open the documents. You MUST use the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

And it appears you have to buy the Adobe version????? Please correct me if wrong.

BB

6 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

And it appears you have to buy the Adobe version????? Please correct me if wrong.

BB

If you use this link and paste it into the address bar in IE you can fill the form online does not work with Firefox for some reason…

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/797719/19-03-prevent-serious-damage.pdf

3 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

In my 6 decades on old mother earth this is one of the few times that I can recall that I have felt really,  and I mean really, brassed off with "authorities" who issue this or that edict and the population is supposed to touch our respective forelock's safe in the knowledge that they have our very best interests at heart.

Bad mood Friday.

I had it after the pistol ban and moved over to germany then watched the ban it all crowd decimate fox hunting (not my thing but different strokes etc) then Brexit now this. UK is going down the pan and jumping ship is the only option IMO.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

If you use this link and paste it into the address bar in IE you can fill the form online does not work with Firefox for some reason…

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/797719/19-03-prevent-serious-damage.pdf

address bar in IE sorry to be thick what is IE? as still not working for me.   BB

4 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

I had it after the pistol ban and moved over to germany then watched the ban it all crowd decimate fox hunting (not my thing but different strokes etc) then Brexit now this. UK is going down the pan and jumping ship is the only option IMO.

address bar in IE sorry to be thick what is IE? as still not working for me.   BB

Internet explorer

10 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

BB

You don't have to buy anything, just go to the right hand side where there's fill and sign. Don't bother to sign as there's provision for that. Don't forget it took me 5 goes to get it there as their inbox was full.

1 hour ago, Morrisman said:

You don't have to buy anything, just go to the right hand side where there's fill and sign. Don't bother to sign as there's provision for that. Don't forget it took me 5 goes to get it there as their inbox was full.

Finally got it to work, I have the form now so can wipe my bottom after all.

Filled out & sent off.

Life really is too short. The Mexican cartels have their ways of sorting out business.

Edited by bavarianbrit

14 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

ab.jpg

40 minutes ago, Dasher said:

Does anyone know what Natural England are doing to prevent this from happening again in regards to non avian pests such as rats, squirrels, fox, rabbits etc?

Hope so, NE & all the shooting orgs (for what use they are) have been caught with their pants down, & while there down they want a good kick up the **** to get them motivated.

This has being well thought out by Packham & Co & I've a feeling it's just the start, NE need to be ahead of the game on this & ready for more legal challenges.

6 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

is it worth sending the forms in now, or wait till monday.

I would wait till Monday... 

If you need a grid ref you can get it off streetmap.co.uk 

Move the arrow to centre of the permission (not just the window) , then click convert coordinate - it's a tiny tiny link near the bottom of the screen. 

Another screen will pop up with loads of info including nearest postcode. 

9 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

So out of interest how do you prove you have tried all other means. And if it came down to it who decides if you have or have not. 

Because if someone approached you and asked why you were shooting pigeons the evidence of your attempts would still be on the field, hawk kites, gas gun, etc.

2 hours ago, Dasher said:

Does anyone know what Natural England are doing to prevent this from happening again in regards to non avian pests such as rats, squirrels, fox, rabbits etc?

The vermin species you mention are not protected and therefore not subject to any licensing requirement. But I guess you knew that, otherwise under what laws will you have been killing them under.

1 minute ago, CharlieT said:

The vermin species you mention are not protected and therefore not subject to any licensing requirement. But I guess you knew that, otherwise under what laws will you have been killing them under.

Having read a lot of the social media comments as well as on forums, etc that is a very pertinent question Charlie.  It strikes me that far too many have no real clue about the legitimacy of what they are doing and that is grist to the mill of the likes of CP and in fact validates what they claimed.  Not a good position for the shooting community to be in.

Although we may feel it shouldn't have to be that way, we need to be rock solid in being able to demonstrate under the law why we do what we do.