Changes To The General Licence

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole kerfuffle is channeled more towards controlling people and guns rather than pests with wings. The authorities couldn't give a monkeys about packhams lot, but his little crusade will help to start licensing people who shoot and firearms that they are having problems policing in England such as air guns. We'll all fill out the forms for them and openly declare or intentions.

22 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Few people use semi auto 22 rim fire for pest control 

I suppose there has to be one doesn’t  there 😉  I do it’s my  go to gun for  rabbits .  I shoot three farms all neighbouring each other all the farmers put out gas guns and banners in 45 gallon drums  and the pigeons still ignore them  they just get used to it . Good point about the  Magnets and  flappers.  I’ve been following this post with interest  I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens Monday 

1 hour ago, CharlieT said:

99% of the nonlethal means of deterrent are not within the remit of the hobby shooter. So it will be down to the shooter to satisfy himself that the landowner has done and is doing enough to enable the person doing the shooting to do so within the terms of the license. To break the terms of the license would be classed a wildlife crime and a good bye to any further license.

I agree. But it occurs to me that the onus placed on the shooter in the way you suggest, is open to interpretation, and pretty unprovable one way or the other, as was pretty much the case with the GL as was. If the farmer tells the shooter he has tried this that and the other, but there is no physical evidence of this that or the other, it leaves the shooter in a difficult position if he then decides to go ahead and is then challenged by whomever. 

Giving an 'open' license for 'designated pest species' would be so much more practical, without increasing the impact on their numbers anymore than it was done under the former GL,  but I doubt anyone would have the nerve to propose this. 

These particular worms aren't going to be placed back in their open can anytime soon.  

28 minutes ago, Scully said:

I agree. But it occurs to me that the onus placed on the shooter in the way you suggest, is open to interpretation, and pretty unprovable one way or the other, as was pretty much the case with the GL as was. If the farmer tells the shooter he has tried this that and the other, but there is no physical evidence of this that or the other, it leaves the shooter in a difficult position if he then decides to go ahead and is then challenged by whomever. 

Giving an 'open' license for 'designated pest species' would be so much more practical, without increasing the impact on their numbers anymore than it was done under the former GL,  but I doubt anyone would have the nerve to propose this. 

These particular worms aren't going to be placed back in their open can anytime soon.  

I agree 100% ,I can’t see how pigeon got on the gl in the first place  they should be removed and put with the likes of rabbits and foxes would make things much simpler but I guess that’s not gonna happen.  We really need the shooting organisations  to get behind this and sort it out after all that’s why we join these organisations for United we stand divided we fall

8 minutes ago, storm in a teacup said:

But that os purely for livestock protection against corvids, yet corvids dont just attack livestock!?!? They also scratch up seed on sown fields, and decimate red listed bird species, so will there be these licences or is ot just for livestock protection against crows!?! 

Just now, ShootingEgg said:

But that os purely for livestock protection against corvids, yet corvids dont just attack livestock!?!? They also scratch up seed on sown fields, and decimate red listed bird species, so will there be these licences or is ot just for livestock protection against crows!?! 

I dont know as I dont work for NE I just posted the link for interest.

10 minutes ago, storm in a teacup said:

I dont know as I dont work for NE I just posted the link for interest.

Well looking at what is Written on that license, carrion crows can be controlled for livestock protection.. Nothing else.. So means there would have to be another for crop or protection for red/amber listed birds. 

Edited by ShootingEgg

11 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Well looking at what is Written on that license, carrion crows can be controlled for livestock protection.. Nothing else.. So means there would have to be another for crop or protection for red/amber listed birds. 

From the BASCs website https://basc.org.uk/ne/  these are the proposed licences planned for the immediate future;

• Prevent serious damage to livestock – Carrion crow
  • Conserving wild bird – magpie
  • Conserving wild bird – Carrion crow
  • Prevent serious damage to crops – woodpigeon
  • Prevent serious damage to crops – Rook
  • Prevent serious damage to crops – Canada goose
  • Preserving public health and public safety – Feral pigeon
  • Preserving public health and public safety – Canada goose
  • Preserving public health and public safety – Lesser Black Backed Gull
  • Preserving public health and public safety – Herring gull

49 minutes ago, storm in a teacup said:

Thanks for the link, not easy to find on the NE website at the moment. That will probably improve once they have got a few more up. :good:

At first look, the licence doesn't seem too bad. Advice on what non lethal methods should be considered and advice on what constitutes "serious damage". The biggest change appears to be a strong recommendation to keep a log of activities.

6 minutes ago, HW682 said:

Thanks for the link, not easy to find on the NE website at the moment. That will probably improve once they have got a few more up. :good:

At first look, the licence doesn't seem too bad. Advice on what non lethal methods should be considered and advice on what constitutes "serious damage". The biggest change appears to be a strong recommendation to keep a log of activities.

I notes the paragraph mentioning logs being kept and being able to prove your actions to NE officers or police. 

Seams we will have to dress as a wurzle and sit in the field with straw in our hair. 

I guessing the other licences will be in much the same vain. Try non lethal methods to scare them then use shooting as a last resort while keeping a log of your actions throughout 

Edited by Jbob
Additional text

1 hour ago, Jbob said:

I notes the paragraph mentioning logs being kept and being able to prove your actions to NE officers or police. 

Seams we will have to dress as a wurzle and sit in the field with straw in our hair. 

I guessing the other licences will be in much the same vain. Try non lethal methods to scare them then use shooting as a last resort while keeping a log of your actions throughout 

The original GL was stating we have to try all non lethal methods first, is it now saying we have to take a little black book and write down what we do each time?!!? 

Notice NE letting reared game birds put out at 8-12 weeks old be protected but no mention of wild game birds (nests) so we all need some chickens now to be able to trap crows and deal with them on wild bird shoots ?

I this how others read it