Changes To The General Licence

Auto response from NE feedback email. 

Thank you for contacting the team.

Due to high volumes of complaints at present relating to the 3 general licences (GL04/05/06) for the control of wild birds there will be a delay in responding to you. Thank you for your feedback or complaint raised. We will respond to you in due course and sincerely appreciate your patience.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had mine come through, nothing new there.

On another note a Blackbird going mental in the garden and the wife has asked why, that will be a Magpie having a go at the nest, foul words and what you going to do about it.

Well I've just found out that the grandchildrens Supersoaker move's them on quite nicely, as in accordance with the GL.

20 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I'm sorry to say but from that picture I would imagine that they both could be, but one of them in particular looks to be positively reptilian - I think it's the hands.

Both have very small hands... 

Thank you. How disgraceful of NE but equally how characteristic. And beyond measure frustrating as I have discovered in our lane  the nest to which  magpies were taking blackbird fledglings from our garden, but of course can do nothing. Packham is a murderer of songbirds.

The carrion crow specific licence was issued on Friday last week, this has since been scrutinised by BASC and found to be 'Unfit for purpose', although as far as I know it is still in force and to some extent usable.

There was a vague promise to get a wood pigeon control licence out on Monday 29th but its possible that as a result of the very cold reception the carrion crow licence received NE reworded their announcement, which now reads they are working to issue a wood pigeon licence some time after the 29th, how long after no one knows, 

The licence's for magpies, jays,rooks,jackdaws and possibly some species of gulls is yet to be written and they (NE) can only state that these licence's will be issued in due course. 

Debbie from BASC is keeping us all informed as to any press releases concerning these new licence and there are regular updates on gov.uk and the BASC website.

All we can do is wait and hope that common sense will prevail at some point and we can all get back to work.fingers crossed.

Having read a lot of literature I have come across a point regarding mostly crows and magpies, but to a certain extent pigeons. Crows and magpies, besides being predators are also scavengers. Because of how we live, ie throwing out so much food, these birds have thrived on our left overs. Therefore the populations of these birds has been artificially increased. So it can be argued that due to the un-natural "surplus" of these birds, the levels need to be brought down to what would occur naturally if they weren't able to use us a a food source?

Edited by Harry136

Okay, I'll put this out there...

When I was a kid, almost fifty years ago, you hardly saw a magpie or crow beside a road or on the hard shoulder. Then, as traffic levels grew and increasingly more of our wildlife became flattened, the population of magpies and carrion crows appeared to 'blossom'. So much so that I barely make any journey without noticing a family of magpies, or handfuls of carrion crows flitting around the hard shoulder, or risking life and wing to swoop down and peck at some random, flat, dead thing, every few hundred yards or so.

So, who are the real villains in all of this?

Edited by mick miller