Changes To The General Licence

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I can see it does not restrict shooting to peak breeding season but suggests it is only permitted if control outside that period is not effective.

It also seems to put the onus on the grower as the prime user of the license to maintain non lethal method usage and records.

Sorry chaps for the last post. Just re-read it and obviously mis read it.......this whole fiasco has fried my brain over the last week !

so the consensus is we are good to go?

4 minutes ago, Hammeronhammeroff said:

Sorry chaps for the last post. Just re-read it and obviously mis read it.......this whole fiasco has fried my brain over the last week !

so the consensus is we are good to go?

I would read it again but yes good to go if there is a crop to protect,  but stubbles are a no no  from what I see section 8 states below 

8. When this licence can be used 
a) Only as a last resort to prevent serious damage*.

hello, i that is correct i can only say at last N/E have made a good decision a last, at least some PW members can get on with helping some farmers, i can only wait for any laid barley or will that be ruled out, disappointing if stubble shooting is banned 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Best bit:

If using scarecrows, make it look as real as possible, dress it in your old clothes, sit it on a chair and put a gun-like stick in its hand, move it regularly (ideally daily or more frequently). Occasionally change places with the scarecrow, and use this method to shoot to scare or to kill woodpigeons (under licence). 

10 minutes ago, yickdaz said:

I would read it again but yes good to go if there is a crop to protect,  but stubbles are a no no  from what I see section 8 states below 

8. When this licence can be used 
a) Only as a last resort to prevent serious damage*.

Your right but you could decoy on stubble thus  controlling numbers  where pigeons are doing damage to a growing crop elsewhere. Pretty much just like the old GLs.

You could shoot on stubble if it was to divert birds from a growing crop under attack and therefore protect that crop, this was always the case I believe.

iI would guess that shooting on a game cover crop next to a growing crop under attack would also be deemed OK

Both of the above of course need to be conducted together with or after the failure of .non lethal methods 

1 minute ago, TR1 said:

You could shoot on stubble if it was to divert birds from a growing crop under attack and therefore protect that crop, this was always the case I believe.

iI would guess that shooting on a game cover crop next to a growing crop under attack would also be deemed OK

Both of the above of course need to be conducted together with or after the failure of .non lethal methods 

This.