Changes To The General Licence

17 minutes ago, Konnie said:

Just tried unless you are using windows live format, I  couldn't reply,

You know bit like the NE website

So should be very few complaining so again no problem...………….despite the fact it's near impossible to do so 

Hope this helps. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 17.11.54.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 17.10.53.png

Edited by Jelly

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Konnie said:

Just tried unless you are using windows live format, I  couldn't reply,

You know bit like the NE website

So should be very few complaining so again no problem...………….despite the fact it's near impossible to do so 

You have to email your letter to gl.evidence@defra.gov.uk

This is my effort, any thoughts on my intended letter below would be appreciated.

Dear Sir

From my point I have been shooting all my life (now 69) I do a lot of pest control for local farmers some are small one-man farms or farther/son/daughter, they do not have the funds or manpower to do pest control, I offer my services free of charge, I can sometimes be called out the same day by a farmer who is suffering crop/feed or livestock damage by pigeons or corvids.

The new GL released by NE places so many restrictions on being able to do pest control without worrying about the possibility of being prosecuted because of the way the licenses are worded, pigeons especially are one of the biggest agriculture pest to farmers, their numbers have grown significantly over the years and it’s a fighting battle just to keep their numbers down, we need to-be able to shoot pigeons and corvids year round and have no restriction on when and where they can be shot, shooting corvids to protect livestock and crops also benefits other wildlife such as ground nesting birds and their eggs and chicks, I am sure that its possible with consultation with shooting bodies to workout a licence that is workable for all.

I may add that the pest control I do is free as I enjoy shooting and being out in the countryside.

Yours sincerely Mr xxxxxx member of the public.

10 minutes ago, old'un said:

This is my effort, any thoughts on my intended letter below would be appreciated.

Dear Sir

From my point I have been shooting all my life (now 69) I do a lot of pest control for local farmers some are small one-man farms or farther/son/daughter, they do not have the funds or manpower to do pest control, I offer my services free of charge, I can sometimes be called out the same day by a farmer who is suffering crop/feed or livestock damage by pigeons or corvids.

The new GL released by NE places so many restrictions on being able to do pest control without worrying about the possibility of being prosecuted because of the way the licenses are worded, pigeons especially are one of the biggest agriculture pest to farmers, their numbers have grown significantly over the years and it’s a fighting battle just to keep their numbers down, we need to-be able to shoot pigeons and corvids year round and have no restriction on when and where they can be shot, shooting corvids to protect livestock and crops also benefits other wildlife such as ground nesting birds and their eggs and chicks, I am sure that its possible with consultation with shooting bodies to workout a licence that is workable for all.

I may add that the pest control I do is free as I enjoy shooting and being out in the countryside.

as I enjoy shooting.        I would definitely leave that bit out.

Yup that's what I did , but as said don't use windows live mail so cannot reply so that will be one less,

So if they get enough people who cannot reply there is no problem as no one complained...…. same Gov body in different office....

7 minutes ago, Konnie said:

Yup that's what I did , but as said don't use windows live mail so cannot reply so that will be one less,

So if they get enough people who cannot reply there is no problem as no one complained...…. same Gov body in different office....

I'm not quite sure I understand what you issue is

I have just sent the following to DEFRA

Dear DEFRA

Please allow me to give you some information from a shooters point of view;

I cover 7000 acres in Rutland, Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire for Farmers who are now usually running their farms with only one or two staff. I happily carry out this service without charging and absorb the expense. I receive the call when they have a problem with a particular species, normally Wood Pigeon or Corvids. I usually attend promptly, shoot some of the birds and that is normally sufficient to dissuade them for a few days and to let the crop recover. Repeated trips out to the same piece of ground are occasionally required. I used to conduct these sessions under the auspices of the old General Licences.

When Natural England took the extremely poorly thought out decision to revoke those General Licences, No 04, 05 and 06 without any consultation or consideration for the crops in the field, they let down the Farmers and Shooters that help to maintain the status quo across the farmland in this country.

The newly issued General licences No 26 and 31 are very poorly written and show little understanding of farming, shooting or even the country way of life.

Hopefully someone at DEFRA will be able to address the situation and issue workable General Licences that will allow the protection of valuable crops in the fields. I would hope that both the National Farmers Union, Country Landowners Association, Countryside Alliance and British Association for Shooting and Conservation would be consulted to assist with writing these new licences.

I will add that I understand why Wild Justice instigated their crowd funded legal challenge to what was already a poorly written and legally weak set of general licences, but I do not believe even Wild Justice expected the sudden revocation. Rather they expected the whole of the General licence system to be tightened up over winter in time for instigation in early 2020.

I would be very happy to answer any questions you may have and am contactable via my email address or by telephone on XXXXX XXXXXX

Thank you for your time.

26 minutes ago, la bala said:

as I enjoy shooting.        I would definitely leave that bit out.

WHY! Leave it in!!! We all do don't we!!!???? It's not a guilty secret! Farmers wildlife  the economy all benefit from what we do! Maybe you should add that they should join pigeon watch read this threads and get a real insight of what  pest control and real conservation is all about and how passionate we are about it!  I would like to think the orgs  do look at/use whats on here. It's  a amaze'n amount of free info/insight from people that  know what they are talking about and doing that are really making a difference!      NB

hello, i was thinking would it not be a lot better for N/E to issue these licences to the farmers/landowners/shooting estates, etc etc and just name the designated people who do the pest control over crops and such like on the new licence, i read somewhere only 50, 000 were issued before this Mr Packham and the legal team made N/E change the rules so now having a difficult task as well as no real idea in the numbers of individual licences that will be applied for, my estimation around 250,000 taking into account the use of shotgun,rifle, and air rifle.  

Reposted just encase it was missed by some.

We should all be replying to defra (Gove) I know some will say what’s the point well the point is when its gone its gone, if they don’t get any response from the people these licences effect then they will think we are not bothered….https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/use-of-general-licences-for-the-management-of-certain-wild-birds-a-call-for-evidence

If it wasn't enjoyable nobody would do it....!

These organisations should feel lucky there are so many willing helpers that do it for free at their own expense.....!!!!!

It always was that you were not suppose to shoot them for sporting purposes....!

Why not...?

The rules have always been stupid and now there even stupider 🤪

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i was thinking would it not be a lot better for N/E to issue these licences to the farmers/landowners/shooting estates, etc etc and just name the designated people who do the pest control over crops and such like on the new licence, i read somewhere only 50, 000 were issued before this Mr Packham and the legal team made N/E change the rules so now having a difficult task as well as no real idea in the numbers of individual licences that will be applied for, my estimation around 250,000 taking into account the use of shotgun,rifle, and air rifle.  

Whilst is seems sensible it does place at least part of the responsibility for conforming to the rules onto the landowner who may not be too keen to shoulder that extra burden. Far better that it is the responsibility of the shooter to do what need to be done . The "50.000" individual licenses are a separate issue to the General License which we all rely on for everyday pigeon control.

whilst we are about it.....................tell 'em it is a tough job we do in all weathers and we would like some EU subserties to ease the pressure on maintaining food on the table for the british people......and a pension..............:good:

Say old un you wouldnt mind if o used this as a template as i am no good at writing emails and not sound thick lmao

5 hours ago, old'un said:

Dear Sir