Changes To The General Licence

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

Your right of course but we have known about the challenge since January. Basc are sitting on several million of our cash. Our sport is under threat each and every day. I would expect to see BASC leading from the front, not for me to look for what they are doing. If some poxy campaign group can garner support and cash to mount an action why is my organisation 'BASC' not leading from the front. I am sure, we as shooters, would be happy to match anything that BASC choose to raise in action against this sort of challenge. 

We do not know what they are doing they are aware have been all along on this. Just lets wait and see . I can not see how Ripping the heck out of BASC is at all constructive.

5 minutes ago, Ajarrett said:

What!?

Why would we stump up more money when there is probably in excess of £6 million in the bank doing nothing! 

And it is highly probable they are  using some of that money doing nothing right now Doing something. Lets wait and see aye!

32 minutes ago, Jelly said:

Interesting from the chairman of Natural England:

He seems rather anti the legal challenge by Packham

Excuse me i do not do tweeting but have i understood it right, that this Tony Juniper chap ? Today is his first day as chairman of Natural England Right?

Just now, lancer425 said:

Yes he has been busy that’s for sure. I am not usually a sceptical person but all this seems a bit convenient .

Old boss dig his heals in did he? .so he was sacked and now they employ their puppet as chairman and his first act is to revoke the gl. 

Might as well sell my guns now and take up knitting .

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

its being done at this time cause "they" are using Brexit as a deflector plate............

My sentiments exactly its all too convenient you could not make this up.

That fat lady is  not singing yet though. Lets stay positive .

Edited by lancer425

6 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Old boss dig his heals in did he? .so he was sacked and now they employ their puppet as chairman and his first act is to revoke the gl. 

Might as well sell my guns now and take up knitting .

Not good but dont get too down hearted just yet.

2 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

They managed this with 36k of crowd funding. Imagine would could be done if you had hundreds of thousands of members and millions in the bank.........

Agree but reason has to prevail at some point Packhams fantasy land will not stack up in the real world , pests need controlling, making it more complicated to do this will cost NE money  Thats money they do not have. I do not see how this can work on so many different counts.

58 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Excuse me i do not do tweeting but have i understood it right, that this Tony Juniper chap ? Today is his first day as chairman of Natural England Right?

Anthony Juniper CBE is a British campaigner, writer, sustainability advisor and environmentalist who served as Executive Director of Friends of the Earth, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. He was Vice Chair of Friends of the Earth International from 2000–2008. Source Wikipedia

Mr Juniper's website bio

19 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

Anthony Juniper CBE is a British campaigner, writer, sustainability advisor and environmentalist who served as Executive Director of Friends of the Earth, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. He was Vice Chair of Friends of the Earth International from 2000–2008. Source Wikipedia

Mr Juniper's website bio

You couldn’t make this up could you.  I shoot a lot under the gl  and  I hope things will be clearer after the 29th but I’m not gonna hold my breath.

Edited by silver fox 1

Before we all get carried away and blame everyone from NE, Anthony Juniper,  BASC and those who shoot over stubble, let's just read and understand what the legal challenge actually states.

Tom Short, solicitor at Leigh Day, said:

“Our client argues that the 2019 General Licences GL04-6 are unlawful as Natural England has no power to issue the licences for the simple fact that it failed to comply with the condition precedent under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. This condition states that before issuing these licences Natural England – and not any other body or person – has to be satisfied that there are no alternative solutions to killing wild birds. Natural England has not done that. It has instead told licence users that they must themselves decide whether alternative solutions are ineffective or impracticable. Wild Justice, and its many supporters, believe this is a travesty for wildlife protection in the UK and our client intends to vigorously challenge it.”

It would seem that NE's legal council has taken the view that NE are on sticky ground and the method of licensing needs to be addressed and altered to comply with the WCA.

7 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Does anyone know the official farmers response. NFU .. surely they will need to apply for the actual licence [after having spent many hours trying to scare away the birds..] Farmers tend to get listened too by the gov ! 

Really???

The NFU are as useless as BASC

20 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Retaliation petition against Packham has started.... link shared on a fresh topic in this section.

Well I signed it & also donated a few quid. I cannot abide the condescending, self opinionated little twerp. I bought his bird spotters guide and found he is no David Attenborough.

C4Fe_88XUAMihOQ.jpg.e15f8a3be9f7592cabf572de2bfa75c9.jpg