Changes To The General Licence

11 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Its worrying that NE etc seem more afraid of Packham and his crowd funding group, that have been around for 10 minutes, with very few facts to back them up, than the likes of BASC, CA, NGO etc.

It is always much easier to get publicity and progress on attacking an existing system than defending it.  All 'systems' have their problems, and so are open to attack.  The fact that it has worked largely OK for a period of time is not a good or 'charismatic' defence.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we all have somewhere that needs a license, how about we all apply for one now.  50 or 60000 applications may just wake them up to the problem they have caused.

If Packham et all are succesful with this attack then what is next on their list ...grey squirrels.

3 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Dont hold your breath...

The NFU should also be yelling as well. 

Well, it gets worse. What a bloody joke.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/organisational-licence-for-routine-work-affecting-protected-species

PS. Anyone in the market for 3 dozen deeks and a semi auto lol

I'm hoping this ends up a storm in a tea cup. This is for commercial use, but you can guarantee the individual licenses will be a similar cost until a new GL is sorted out.

Edited by MarcMaxus

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fbasc.org.uk%2Fwp-

BASC Head Office, Marford Mill, Rossett, Wrexham, LL12 0HL 
Contact 

---

Important news on general licences

Natural England announces temporary revocation

BASC is advising members that Natural England (NE) is temporarily revoking three general licences in England for controlling certain wild birds from Thursday this week.

These licences (GL 04/05/06) cover 16 species of birds including several members of the crow family, Canada goose and some gulls and pigeons. There is uncertainty as to when the temporary revocation will end.

During that time, anyone needing to control one of these 16 bird species where there is no reasonable non-lethal alternative will need to apply for an individual licence. Natural England says it has simplified the process for applying for such a licence and details will be available on its gov.uk website on Thursday.

NE says this action is the first stage of a planned review of general and class licences, which will be completed this year. The change follows a legal challenge to the way the licences have been issued, which could mean users who rely on them are not acting lawfully.

BASC is disappointed that the shooting community has been given no notice of this change to the general licences. The situation is rapidly changing and we will update members as new information becomes available. Our website will provide the latest information.

The previous Chair of NE was Andrew Sells and he was scheduled to retire early this year. The previous CEO James Cross resigned as many of his staff had been taken onto Brexit duties and responsibilities for the organisation had been reduced. Marian Spain the previous deputy chair is interim CEO. 

The issue (of the legal challenge) is more about the way the licences are administered rather than the licence themselves. It would be reasonable to expect them to be reinstated on an application basis. Given the lack of resources you would expect a charge for admin to be levied. 

A suggestion that we might get something by the 29th I suspect is optimistic. These things could take a while particularly a significant overhaul possibly with charging structure without staff to sort it out. 

Edited by oowee

Of course it's a storm in a teacup. The GL was introduced to comply with the EU legislation but it was never well received by the bureaucrats over there. Consequently, as Packam has provided the diversionary ploy, our own UK home grown crowd can get it sorted to the satisfaction of the EU which is essential now that it is realised that on our behalf our mob have decided that we're not going to leave after all. Simple really, we can all start up again on or after the 29th.

5 minutes ago, scutt said:

USED to pay for a licence from the post office many years ago I think this had a code of practice and info on seasons  about ten bob Scotland was the last  place I had to get one for.could be 15 years ago.This  type of licence could have helped our case now as it was in a written format you could carry  with you and produce  it if asked to so therefor proving you followed the law.

That was a game license. 

4 minutes ago, MarcMaxus said:

I'm supposed to be shooting over wheat tomorrow. Spoke to BASC who are due to call back but haven't yet. Natural England licence department is unavailable. 

Do I or dont I?

No, unless you are able to obtain a license from NE.

Its farcical that no one actually knows what time this comes into effect. No one actually knows much it seems. I've called everyone I can think of other than my FEO and I'd rather not bother him to be honest but it's my next course of action. 

Meanwhile my farmers crop is being devastated, especially with the lack of rain. 

Bloody crazy