New GL licence for pigeon not fit for purpose

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Dibble said:

Colloquially referred to as Flying Rats??????

That's not how legislation works though.  Offer that argument and you'll get exactly what Teal responded with the first time.

Personally I dont think that pushing colloquilisms like calling any bird a flying rat is going to be anything more than another stick to beat shooting with to be seized upon by those who are out to ge it stopped.

39 minutes ago, Zapp said:

Personally I dont think that pushing colloquilisms like calling any bird a flying rat is going to be anything more than another stick to beat shooting with to be seized upon by those who are out to ge it stopped.

Ok I'll take that on board but any objection to the term "Flying Rat" is Pejorative to rats otherwise it wouldn't be an insulting term, indicating the listener already ascribes differing value  to different species.

hello, as i mentioned on another post, what about those on PW who meet up on each others permissions or you get an invite to shoot on a farm that is not your usual permission, the application form only gives a small box to write in, or those that take paying people to shoot pigeons over land they rent or some wildfowling/ pigeon shooting clubs have a pest control service, will this new licence cover club members with individual or group licence.    

21 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, as i mentioned on another post, what about those on PW who meet up on each others permissions or you get an invite to shoot on a farm that is not your usual permission, the application form only gives a small box to write in, or those that take paying people to shoot pigeons over land they rent or some wildfowling/ pigeon shooting clubs have a pest control service, will this new licence cover club members with individual or group licence.    

hello, any thoughts  on this PW members, i emailed N/E on this but as yet not replied, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

On 08/05/2019 at 19:41, Zapp said:

more

On 08/05/2019 at 19:41, Zapp said:

That's not how legislation works though.  Offer that argument and you'll get exactly what Teal responded with the first time.

Well said.

Don’t know about others on this forum but I think the wood pigeon is a fantastic bird. Graceful, intelligent, majestic and although we need to shoot them they should definitely not be described as a sky rat. Ferrels yes but woodies no.  Not easy to decoy or shoot especially on a strong wind with a eyesight that notices the slightest movement. Yes they are a pest and do so much damage but our countryside would not be the same without them. 

Anyone who describes this fantastic bird as a sky rat, really doesn’t get it and in my opinion should not be involved in controlling their numbers. I would question their motives for why they want to shoot them in the first place