Just a thought, weekly tv programme?

So we have Fieldsports britain, that in my opinion, is a very well produced programme, with probably very little funding to do more than be on youtube.

Packham crowd funded £36,000 to get where we are today. Estimates of 600,000 people who shoot in this country seem to be accepted as reasonable statistic. Others that don't necessarily shoot, but understand the real world of farming, conservation, etc etc, could easily double that figure. So if we crowd funded, say even £5 per head on those figures, £6m, would go a long way to getting Fieldsports Britain, or even another production on a television channel. We moan we don't have a media platform of note, so why not something along these lines? It would be wonderful to make fools of Countryfile!

19 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

So we have Fieldsports britain, that in my opinion, is a very well produced programme, with probably very little funding to do more than be on youtube.

Packham crowd funded £36,000 to get where we are today. Estimates of 600,000 people who shoot in this country seem to be accepted as reasonable statistic. Others that don't necessarily shoot, but understand the real world of farming, conservation, etc etc, could easily double that figure. So if we crowd funded, say even £5 per head on those figures, £6m, would go a long way to getting Fieldsports Britain, or even another production on a television channel. We moan we don't have a media platform of note, so why not something along these lines? It would be wonderful to make fools of Countryfile!

This is a very good point, Main stream TV is about dead these days, youngsters dont watch it they are online,  and it would not cost much and i think BASC could perhaps do well to try and put something together and get the word out there a little more. As it is Yes! i think its a great idea, at these that way we get our side of the debate seen more, and lets face facts BBC ITV etc are not helping us or allowing us (BASC) to take part so "broadcasting ourselves"  if well done and produced as real potential to help our cause .

Edited by lancer425

When I learned Spanish 30 years ago I used to watch a Spanish program on eutelsat called Jara y Sedal, which roughly translated was bush and line. Just out of curiosity I googled it and it is still being shown to this day on mainstream telly.  It just shows the different mindset of different cultures. 

Andy

Just looked at the subscribers to Fieldsports Britain.........212,543!,  

Country file has viewing figures of circa 4-5million.  Whilst the individual episodes of Fieldsports Britain has views in the thousands, it is a youtube channel and probably not widely known This episode however, shows the potential with more views than Countryfile, close to 6m! It shows there is potential and an appetite for such programs with the public.

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

It’s a good idea, how did you envisage broadcasting the programs so they would be available to all and not just to a captive audience?

Its not my field old'un, but there isn't much that can't be achieved with money in the appropriate amount. So if Fieldsports Britain, as an example, had the required amount in funds to approach a TV company to move it onto mainstream TV, that would be my thought. ITV on Saturday evening, so the viewers get the true story of the countryside before Countryfile on Sunday!!

Edited by turbo33

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

I don’t think any of the main stream tv channels would take it on, it would have to-be broadcast in its own right (its own channel) and free, I think the only way that’s possible is on freeview.

Nothing ventured!

25 minutes ago, old'un said:

I remember watching Jack Hargreaves when I was a nipper.

Brings back the memories running home after school to see this show, briliant thanks for the link.

And like you old un i will throw some money into this if C Jacoby is up for it. 

When I moved to NZ, I was amazed that there were half a dozen fishing shows on prime time TV, and a couple of hunting shows too. It was so refreshing to be part of the mainstream. It would be great if you could get some hunting, or at least shooting on TV, but don’t think it’s going to change the general public’s perception. That horse has long bolted.

I do not write with any smugness. Things are changing here fast. With increasing urbanisation of the population and political correctness, NZ is not far behind the UK in this respect. Christchurch was a catalyst. The anti-gun lobby have rallied and the anti-hunting lobby is starting to find a platform.

I recall a few years ago there was sky channel, way down the list, that had a program called "country tv" or something like that. It might have been part of "horse and country". 

Anyway it is no more, but they showed shooting clips. The problem was it was the same clips over and over.

I think any program of this nature would need to be by something already established like Fieldsports tv. It needs to show not only shooting but fishing and other rural issues and at a decent time....like when most soaps are on!

I think that`s a great idea. Cooking programs seem to have masses of viewers, would be good to have a food segment with a household-name chef like Gordon or Hugh. Some people might not like the the whole celebrity culture thing, but lets face facts, the public are obsessed with celebrities, and would check out a program just because they are on it. There`s quite a few tv personalities and sports stars seen enjoying country life and shooting on youtube, I`m sure they would be happy to appear on a mainstream TV program aswell.

Well thought out and funded, i`m sure it would be very do-able.

It’ll never be allowed to happen. They wouldn’t show sporting shooting on TV even if its our medal winning Olympic team these days. Two of our representatives have done well in Dubai lately but you won’t see it reported on TV. They wouldn’t show any coverage when the UK done well in the winter 2018 Olympics, it was decided to show something less frightening to the public would be more suitable. The SKY country channel used to have some shooting matters covered but it seems to have gone very horsey these days. Guns on TV are related to crime and terrorism these days, guns are naughty and are used by naughty people. It’s a shame, I’d like to see shooting on terrestrial tv, but they won’t want people being encouraged to go out and buy a gun. 

56 minutes ago, Timerider said:

I think that`s a great idea. Cooking programs seem to have masses of viewers, would be good to have a food segment with a household-name chef like Gordon or Hugh. Some people might not like the the whole celebrity culture thing, but lets face facts, the public are obsessed with celebrities, and would check out a program just because they are on it. There`s quite a few tv personalities and sports stars seen enjoying country life and shooting on youtube, I`m sure they would be happy to appear on a mainstream TV program aswell.

Well thought out and funded, i`m sure it would be very do-able.

i seem to remember Hugh W shooting and cooking feral pigeon

22 minutes ago, Pistol p said:

It’ll never be allowed to happen. They wouldn’t show sporting shooting on TV even if its our medal winning Olympic team these days. Two of our representatives have done well in Dubai lately but you won’t see it reported on TV. They wouldn’t show any coverage when the UK done well in the winter 2018 Olympics, it was decided to show something less frightening to the public would be more suitable. The SKY country channel used to have some shooting matters covered but it seems to have gone very horsey these days. Guns on TV are related to crime and terrorism these days, guns are naughty and are used by naughty people. It’s a shame, I’d like to see shooting on terrestrial tv, but they won’t want people being encouraged to go out and buy a gun. 

This is true in the snowflake age we live in, it just won't happen....