What Could Be Next

Mark Avery points out that the new GL for pigeons does not go far enough with regards the report from AHDB (2014) and the use of non-lethal methods, I have read this report (phew) and it makes interesting reading with regards to the effectiveness of non-lethal and lethal methods, I can see where NE pulled some of its wording from in the new GL, I can also see where Avery/Packham are coming from saying the reports from BASC are only perceived damage (guesstimate) with no real scientific study to back BASC’s claim of crop damage.

I think it will be hard for DEFRA to ignore the AHDB report as I am sure Avery/Packham will have pointed out the finding of this study and its recommendation of combined non-lethal and lethal methods as being the most effective means of preventing crop damage, lethal methods being the last resort and to be run along side non-lethal methods which must be in place at the same time as shooting.

Link to the AHDB report…https://horticulture.ahdb.org.uk/sites/default/files/research_papers/FV 426_Report_Final_2014.pdf

I may be wrong but I think any new licences coming from DEFRA will be very similar the new GL for pigeons.

The only way forward as I see it would be to remove selected birds from the EU protected list, which would not be easy.   

Edited by old'un

This is only the start of the 'Wild Justice ' campaign .Bit by bit they will eat away at our sport until nothing is left and that really is their agenda.What I want to know is are our organisations ,BASC, NGO ,CA etc, supporting the ' Countryside Rally ' on the 29th of June and if not why.We can just sit on our backsides and hope it will go away or stand up and be counted.The choice is ours !

Short term, commercial game rearing and driven grouse, any shooting that could be perceived as sport or carried out by the upper classes.. large 4x4 cars, flat hats  worn by anyone that have never worked in a coal mine,  shotguns capable of holding more than one cartridge, 

Long term, The banning of meat and meat products as food.  people that identify as a single gender. freedom of thought, choice, and action 

Government funding for assisted euthanasia due to the  large numbers of the population that feel that life wont be worth living and the ensuing drain on the NHS,  given the rise in the  cost of quicklime 

26 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Short term, commercial game rearing and driven grouse, any shooting that could be perceived as sport or carried out by the upper classes.. large 4x4 cars, flat hats  worn by anyone that have never worked in a coal mine,  shotguns capable of holding more than one cartridge, 

Long term, The banning of meat and meat products as food.  people that identify as a single gender. freedom of thought, choice, and action 

Government funding for assisted euthanasia due to the  large numbers of the population that feel that life wont be worth living and the ensuing drain on the NHS,  given the rise in the  cost of quicklime 

depressed.jpg