A little project of my own

John_R

Lethal looking instrument.:good: 

Just out of asking did it spark much and wear the disc down quick when you cut it?

Just saying as circular saw blades are pretty hard and if your using it and theres a rock or brick such like hidden and you hit it that could shatter.

I didn't wear too much of the slitting disc, though I will admit I  did one run forgetting where the sparks went so I burned the fleece I was wearing! 

The metal is reasonably hard, I gave just a quick grind for the bevel and then completed the edge with files and stones.  Being a modern saw blade with carbide teeth I was mindful that the steel might be too soft but I decided to just get on and try it.  I don't think it will prove to be brittle. 

Frankly it is made for rough work so I'm not going to be sad if it needs sharpening more often. 

It is my first ever edged tool, so it serves as a learning experience. 

I will test the offcuts and do some heat treating to see what happens. 

The handle is not quite ready so next week I hope to get it finished. 

It looks very like what we refer to as a slasher. Mounted on a stout wooden staff for clearing brambles and rough scrub. We have used them to remove tree limbs and even small trees. A very effective hand tool. Keep the shaft long to save your knuckles!

I made my very first knife from a saw blade as it was a pretty small knife to start out with I didn't predict too many problems, it did wear the disc but the biggest problem was drilling the pin holes in the tang. Went through some drill bits, even cobalt turned its nose up and went black. In the end and with a great deal of speculation someone suggested a masonry bit and I was pleasantly surprised when it went through, you have to go slow but they will drill HSS.

Brambles and shoots are indeed what I had in mind. In a couple of weeks I have to attend a work party in one of the woods where I shoot so that should come in handy. 

An old friend told me ages ago that a billhook is good for cutting a swim to fish or tidying up a nook to set up a hide.

I will test drill bits on an off cut but I have a couple of ideas for alternative methods to hold that handle on. 

25 minutes ago, ditchman said:

well .....you know i have a squeaky voice...............................................................................................

I noticed that on the telephone the other day, you gave your gnads for the country?

24 minutes ago, John_R said:

Billhooks for rough garden jobs, hedge laying, brush clearance etc.

is it heavy enough............the billhook i had was a bit of a beast i admit..............

made a nice job of it :good:that saw blade should hold a nice edge