Make your views known to Defra

On 04/05/2019 at 19:53, bostonmick said:

Yes everyone should write in. But one thing for sure now the politicians have got hold of this it is not going to end in a good or simple way

Iv seen the numbers of people signing petitions and we are at the moment in great numbers too .so i think we do all need to email and let them know were all expecting something better .i fear if we dont (like said above they will persume we just taken whats happend in our stride)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When asked (during this morning's radio interview) what listeners could do to help the environment, Tony Juniper said:   "..... stop wasting food ..... we are wasting one third of it, which is one third of the land ..... so we can take a big pressure off of nature by stopping wasting food ....."

He is absolutely right.   And any legislation that seeks to prevent farmers from taking immediate action to control pests is extremely damaging to the environment.

Loss of lambs following attack by corvids means that more ewes have to be kept, more grazing land must be maintained and fenced, and more fodder grown and conserved for winter.   Woodpigeons destroy a substantial proportion of the nation's food crops, and additional land has to be cultivated, planted, fertilised and harvested in order to compensate for the losses, using energy that is largely obtained from fossil fuels.

Michael Gove has repeatedly stressed his concern for the environment.   Perhaps PW members responding to DEFRA could draw attention to the discrepancy between his words and the recent actions of government bodies forming part of his remit.

1 hour ago, Ozz said:

Iv seen the numbers of people signing petitions and we are at the moment in great numbers too .so i think we do all need to email and let them know were all expecting something better .i fear if we dont (like said above they will persume we just taken whats happend in our stride)

I was not aware that I said don't write in. 

I wasnt having a knock at u mick i had read on an earlier post i think someone saying not to bombard with emails but i just wanted to say we should .think my post ended up in wrong place or something .u do however bring a valid point about this even affecting the use of yet more fossil fuels ! The knock on effect growing by the day and its the likes if us that notice not the chaps at ne or defra and the likes who are on the big money it all seems that evryone at or near the top are so incompitent these days 

Many thanks to the OP for the link to Defra. I think that it is particularly important for those  of us that are not farmers, who have their own legitimate agenda, but who wish to protect wild birds from corvids (especially, in my case, magpies) to write in with our experiences and requests. There must be many in my position with garden birds that are under constant attack from corvids. We need the restoration of a general licence in order to control these predators. Only a few days to make our views known. In writing I shall make it clear that I take no pleasure in shooting corvids but that it is often absolutely necessary to have that recourse available, especially with the disappearance of small farms in my area.

Just sent my email to Defra and included at the end points about

1. the waste of public money following this revocation

2. asking for an investigation to see if the NE officers have acted within the civil service code as regards integrity, honesty, objectivity, impartiality, without fear or favour, if friendships or relationships exist between public and private parties etc, have officers put aside backgrounds and agendas etc.

26 minutes ago, Katzenjammer said:

Just sent my email to Defra and included at the end points about

1. the waste of public money following this revocation

2. asking for an investigation to see if the NE officers have acted within the civil service code as regards integrity, honesty, objectivity, impartiality, without fear or favour, if friendships or relationships exist between public and private parties etc, have officers put aside backgrounds and agendas etc.

Don’t forget this one, apologies if you have already done it…https://basc.org.uk/?wysija-page=1&controller=email&action=view&email_id=964&wysijap=subscriptions&user_id=127353

Direct link to BASC survey…https://www.research.net/r/BASC-GLsurvey

Edited by old'un