Practice make Perfect

Today as DB was away for the Bank Holiday Weekend I decide to comply with the new licence and put on my best Worzel Gummage  outfit and and placed my chair in the centre of the low rape with my Grandads walking stick in my arms. After four hours I had shot nothing , I then tried another method as described in the new licence  but was not able to catch any by hand as they tended to fly away as soon as I moved. At least I can now report my efforts if questioned.

All the above is pure lies, I actually went down the road on to the Grand Union Canal with my lure rod and caught nothing, so next week I should be protecting some growing clover with luck

13 hours ago, JDog said:

Marsh Man will be very disappointed with your report.

I most certainly am Mr JDog , after waiting two weeks for P Cs Saturday nights report I am having a bad bout of withdrawal symptoms , no point making a doctors appointment as there is a five week waiting list and this disaster might be over by them , well at least we hope so .

In the meantime can you and the other members ( P C included when he gets back from the G U canal ) open a thread with Memoirs Of A Pigeon Shooter and recount some days in the care free times of old :thanks: .

Just now, marsh man said:

I most certainly am Mr JDog , after waiting two weeks for P Cs Saturday nights report I am having a bad bout of withdrawal symptoms , no point making a doctors appointment as there is a five week waiting list and this disaster might be over by them , well at least we hope so .

In the meantime can you and the other members ( P C included when he gets back from the G U canal ) open a thread with Memoirs Of A Pigeon Shooter and recount some days in the care free times of old :thanks: .

I will do better than that, I will tell a story about yesterday’s outing with Ginger cat. It was cold, windy and wet. We saw a good line which stopped as soon as we got on it so we moved. In the second place we pushed several hundred pigeons out of a wood and none returned. Our reward for this was one pigeon.

If that doesn’t rival a Saturday evening report by PC I don’t know what will.

2 minutes ago, JDog said:

I will do better than that, I will tell a story about yesterday’s outing with Ginger cat. It was cold, windy and wet. We saw a good line which stopped as soon as we got on it so we moved. In the second place we pushed several hundred pigeons out of a wood and none returned. Our reward for this was one pigeon.

That was like a breath of fresh air Mr Jdog , type of days I am very familiar with , I was also out , although not with my gun as I hadn't seen that much during the week , after heavy Hail showers I braved the eliments and walked around a couple of Pea fields that had been in for five weeks , the Peas are up 2 /3 inches but at the moment they are untouched by the birds that are causing so much unrest at the time of writing  :no:

Looking at what you need to do about dressing up the scare crow Mr JDog , some of the scare crows I have seen have got better gear on that what I wear , in fact one time I did swap a jacket from a well to do scare crow because it was totally water prof and my one had holes in it , more or less the same as the rest of my shooting gear:lol:, as ditchie would say , your got tor hav a larf boi . 

3 hours ago, JDog said:

Well done JDog and GC at least you went out and had a go. Bunny_Blaster was out but I've heard no reports yet.

20 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Today as DB was away for the Bank Holiday Weekend I decide to comply with the new licence and put on my best Worzel Gummage  outfit and and placed my chair in the centre of the low rape with my Grandads walking stick in my arms. After four hours I had shot nothing , I then tried another method as described in the new licence  but was not able to catch any by hand as they tended to fly away as soon as I moved. At least I can now report my efforts if questioned.

All the above is pure lies, I actually went down the road on to the Grand Union Canal with my lure rod and caught nothing, so next week I should be protecting some growing clover with luck

this must the first time ive beat ya :lol::whistling::drinks:

6 hours ago, JDog said:

were you leagal ?

I recently met up with up  JDog, as normal in a field gateway. He smelt of fish and was covered in Tench slime, I haven’t a clue what he has been up to during the last couple of weeks! Anyway there was a  line of birds going to a thin rape crop. The Dog had been there for the last 2 days dressed in his best John Pertwee outfit. Despite this obviously disturbing situation the birds were not put off.

I struck up the Stihl and felled the only sitty tree. We then put out streamers of red tape that we recently purchased from N.England of Westminster, apparently they have loads of it. Pouring a coffee, we sat back and watched a bird a minute coming back to the field, despite all of the above. Well we thought there was only one thing for it. We placed 2 frozen and legally shot birds on a device which shows off their white wing bars and spins them round at high speed, surely this would deter the grey hoards. Alas it did not, I think it only angered them as they swooped in. Our next attempt to protect the rape crop was to fire some warning shots, which I regularly do with no harm whatsoever to the birds themselves. The result was that the birds settled in the other end of the field and carried on eating. In exasperation we fired just in front of the birds and miraculously this had an immediate effect on their behaviour. They landed amongst the crop, albeit in an awkward manner, but showed no attempt to eat it. In fact they barely moved. Result, crop protected.😀

4 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

I recently met up with up  JDog, as normal in a field gateway. He smelt of fish and was covered in Tench slime, I haven’t a clue what he has been up to during the last couple of weeks! Anyway there was a  line of birds going to a thin rape crop. The Dog had been there for the last 2 days dressed in his best John Pertwee outfit. Despite this obviously disturbing situation the birds were not put off.

I struck up the Stihl and felled the only sitty tree. We then put out streamers of red tape that we recently purchased from N.England of Westminster, apparently they have loads of it. Pouring a coffee, we sat back and watched a bird a minute coming back to the field, despite all of the above. Well we thought there was only one thing for it. We placed 2 frozen and legally shot birds on a device which shows off their white wing bars and spins them round at high speed, surely this would deter the grey hoards. Alas it did not, I think it only angered them as they swooped in. Our next attempt to protect the rape crop was to fire some warning shots, which I regularly do with no harm whatsoever to the birds themselves. The result was that the birds settled in the other end of the field and carried on eating. In exasperation we fired just in front of the birds and miraculously this had an immediate effect on their behaviour. They landed amongst the crop, albeit in an awkward manner, but showed no attempt to eat it. In fact they barely moved. Result, crop protected.😀

I'm very relieved that you took measures within  the general licence to avoid shooting the pigeons, but if they keep coming back you have to shoot to miss if that does not work then you shoot to hit and protect to crop.

Well done Clodhopper for complying with the new regulations and your account with the reactions of your expected quarry .

I was thinking of some of the different non lethal methods I have seen with no effect in keeping the pigeons off the crops they were attacking , these were , pop up inflated scare crows , rotating pyramid with mirror glass that was next to useless on a dull day , wires that went across the fields that made a high pitch buzzing noise when the wind caught it , chain driven gas gun , gas filled balloons , Hawks on long poles and of coarse Worzel Gummage .

No doubt I have forgotten one or two others, but I am sure you good guys will add the ones I have missed , no pun intended☺️