Slingshot

fatchap

I've made a few slingshots before inspired by GKJ using 18mm multiplex ply but they do look a bit plain. I got asked if I could make an ergo type slingshot out of anything other than plywood and no secret waterproof coating, this fella is obviously not a fan of GKJ. So the shed was opened and the bandsaw fired up.

2 hours later I emerged after pretty much making my mind up that I was going to keep this one and make him another.

20190504-114552.jpg
picture to url

20190504-114557.jpg

I do love olive wood get hold of a good bit with plenty of grain action get it down to 1200 grit then a coat or two of tru oil and it really pops. but I will say Tru oil dont behave with the contours of the slingshot like it does with a rifle stock. I got it right in the end and with a few coats of shellac I was happy. Unfortunatly the fella really wanted the slingshot so he had that one and I m going to try and recreate another today.

Edited by fatchap

40 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

That looks really good with beautiful figuring and no doubt is most ergonomic ( if that's the right word i.e. Looks to fit nicely in the hand.)

Well done.

OB

Thanks OB.

Yep ergo short for ergonomic. There are plenty of different designs online, I took the basics of 3 and came up with that. Really am gutted the bloke bought it!

Edited by fatchap

I watch these people shooting slingshots in total awe, cutting playing cards in half, putting candles out, and as for the vermin shooting, I have trouble hitting a rabbit at 10 yards with both barrels, How they bowl a bolting rabbit with head shot at 30 odd yards with a 9mm steel ball out of a slingshot just amazes me.

Edited by fatchap