Kite

turbo33

5 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

They are along the M40, M4 corridor upto the M25 so i would expect them to be in the outskirts of London.

These photos were taken in Mid Wales where there are a few.

kite2.jpg

kite1.jpg

Brilliant, is that the feeding station. Rhayader ? They were down to a few pairs in Wales,  Mostly carrion eaters [given the choice] once common in London or anywhere refuse was dumped.. They have yet to reach the isle of Harris

I regularly drive the m40 and by oxford theres hundreds. Always increasing in numbers. What is there main diet? Surely its having a negative impact on something and going to need controlling at some point. Beautiful birds and it's a shame to have to say

53 minutes ago, Rob525 said:

I regularly drive the m40 and by oxford theres hundreds. Always increasing in numbers. What is there main diet? Surely its having a negative impact on something and going to need controlling at some point. Beautiful birds and it's a shame to have to say

https://www.livingwithbirds.com/tweetapedia/21-facts-on-red-kite

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Yes see point 14. I used to live in Oxfordshire and pick up in the Chilterns. Speak to the farmers and keepers there and they will confirm they will take partridges and smaller birds. Yes they eat carrion and used to line up like vultures after a drive. Beautiful as they are they are becoming a threat to conservation as they are so prolific.

They have been reintroduced here in Dumfries and Galloway and I had one over the house today. I predict from experience they will spread and again create an imbalance.

I have had serious arguments with one or two people who have never spent much time in the countryside or went there with dark glasses and blinkers. One with a guy from Lancashire who got seriously heated when I said that buzzards would killand eat live game.  Yes red kites will also given the chance but like buzzards are lovers of carrion.  On a fallow cull a week or two ago and shot a deer which pitched up in the midle of the field and within minutes I had two red kites circling above.

50 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have had serious arguments with one or two people who have never spent much time in the countryside or went there with dark glasses and blinkers. One with a guy from Lancashire who got seriously heated when I said that buzzards would killand eat live game.  Yes red kites will also given the chance but like buzzards are lovers of carrion.  On a fallow cull a week or two ago and shot a deer which pitched up in the midle of the field and within minutes I had two red kites circling above.

Heard the same about Golden eagles here. dropping down on Red Deer before the stalker can get there.. any sign of Kites picking up road kill pheasants at the roadside down there ?

8 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

They are along the M40, M4 corridor upto the M25 so i would expect them to be in the outskirts of London.

These photos were taken in Mid Wales where there are a few.

kite2.jpg

kite1.jpg

That is some photo , if we see one it is a talking point and yet we have got the habitat but we cannot keep them for long in the area , a few years ago we had two with transmitters attached to there backs and were tracked about the Norfolk / Suffolk countryside until they decided they had somewhere better to go and we haven't seen them since . 

On 05/05/2019 at 21:32, Walker570 said:

I believe those in Wales are fed and produce such an attraction, now become a tourist attraction.

Theres a place near Lampeter that feeds them too. Old farmer and wife team, feeds them the butchers bones off the back of a tractor. You'd see up to 100 in the sky at any given point when feeding. Must be hundreds more now as that was 10 years ago, and i only lived a few miles away

On 05/05/2019 at 13:09, rimfire4969 said:

I have been told there are some down here in Cornwall but I have not seen any yet.

After the above statement this morning about 7:30, 2 minutes after leaving the house with the dogs heading for the beach two Red Kites pasted over me about 30ft up. 

On 5 May 2019 at 21:26, marsh man said:

That is some photo , if we see one it is a talking point and yet we have got the habitat but we cannot keep them for long in the area , a few years ago we had two with transmitters attached to there backs and were tracked about the Norfolk / Suffolk countryside until they decided they had somewhere better to go and we haven't seen them since . 

Got one or two here in Sth Norfolk - saw one yesterday very low over rough ground where I know there are a few pheasant chicks. He saw me and disappeared. Not a problem here so long as numbers remain as they are. Buzzards are however, far too prolific.

2 minutes ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Got one or two here in Sth Norfolk - saw one yesterday very low over rough ground where I know there are a few pheasant chicks. He saw me and disappeared. Not a problem here so long as numbers remain as they are. Buzzards are however, far too prolific.

I think it will only be a matter of time before they become more numerous in our county , we have got a healthy population of Rabbits this year and road kill is everywhere . with the right habitat there is no reason why they don't stay around our county .

I wonder if anyone as done a study to see how these numbers have effected other birds and mammals? Perhaps a job for Mr Packham as he like studies, facts and figure, people feeding the red kites in Wales are defiantly not allowing nature to find a balance.