Past the yardarm

Walker570

The 'yardarm' on Sundays in this house is at 12noon and my normal treat is a double scotch and water, I like the Glen Stag, Morrisons own brand, smooth, nice flavour, everyhting you need in a lunch time drink, or anytime for that matter.  BUT, I had just spent 2hrs on the Kubota mower cutting grass rides and fancied something a bit longer.  Last October a local young chap called and cleared up all the apples from our orchard and the pears as well, but more about them later.  He called round last week with a box of very nice cider and six bottles of Pearsecco.

I thought a glass of the cider would go well with my ham sandwich and so it does.

Each year for the last four years I have invited this young chap to clear up all the unwanted apples and pears and he usually goes away with a trailer load.  This year I introduced him to one of my farmers as their orchard was solid with apple fallings and some pears.  It is good to support such initiative.  He has a full time job but has invested in all the right kit to produce salable cider and perry and good stuff it is too.

CHEERS !!  :good::drinks:

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

Very different from the Italian Prosecco i should imagine. How did it taste? 

Yes, you are correct, it does taste different but in a very pleasant way.  We have only tried the one bottle so far but enjoyed every drop. 12.5 vol.  I am going to try adding  touch of something next time...sloe gin...plum vodka....even pear vodka or bulus vodka to see if it would meet 'elevensies' standards or it may be fine just as it is.  Great pleasure in drinking something produced from your own orchard.   Tempted to plant some more pear trees:yes:

21 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, you are correct, it does taste different but in a very pleasant way.  We have only tried the one bottle so far but enjoyed every drop. 12.5 vol.  I am going to try adding  touch of something next time...sloe gin...plum vodka....even pear vodka or bulus vodka to see if it would meet 'elevensies' standards or it may be fine just as it is.  Great pleasure in drinking something produced from your own orchard.   Tempted to plant some more pear trees

Some nice ideas. Go for it !  

25 minutes ago, ditchman said:

nige you are an alchol tart :lol:..........god knows what carp you will be throwing down yer throat whe you go to aussi'........

A part of the trip is a wine tour to the Barossa Valley ditch and one thing is for sure, i won't be using a spittoon ! :lol::lol::beer:

Edited by Whitebridges

4 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

A part of the trip is a wine tour to the Barossa Valley ditch and one thing is for sure, i won't be using a spittoon ! :lol::lol::beer:

well as long as you wont be sticking a bowie knife up a croc's bottom you will be fine

im at the bottom of the shiraz box as we speal......heance the carp grammer..:lol: