Cast iron & oak bench (finally)

akka

I bought an rusty old cast iron bench at a car boot sale about 10 years ago, I finally got around to stripping it and painting it about 5 years ago. It's been in the garage ever since. Every spring the wife asks how her bench is coming on, so I thought I'd best pull my finger out and get it finished. I bought some nice oak and finished it with lots of costs of Danish oil (with added UV protection). Unfortunately it's rained pretty much every day since putting it outside, so just waiting for some nice weather to give it a test drive. 

Good things come to those that wait (or those who nag enough)!

IMG_20190505_193943.jpg

Edited by akka
Tpyo!

It wasn't as hard to work with as I had feared, I do have some nice splinters though😀. I layed the cast iron back onto a large sheet of paper and took a rubbing (old school) to make a template for the curves, it worked really well.

Edited by akka
Tpyo!

i have a similar bench as that........and i have all the wood cut and ready.....have the table ends and 2 chairs...........the bench is no-way a pretty as yours..........when i stop making these damn knives i might have time :lol:

love the finished colour and the insert to the back...

Thanks for the comments👍

I also have a small table and 2 chairs that I rescued from a skip, I have painted them in the same colour.

It amazes me what some people will throw out just because it has a bit if rust on it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/05/2019 at 18:22, mel b3 said:

What a cracking refurb on a very pretty bench 👍.

quite right.........too damn good to leave outside......would be nice in a conservertory with a long leather cushion on it...........

5 hours ago, ditchman said:

quite right.........too damn good to leave outside......would be nice in a conservertory with a long leather cushion on it...........

Very true Simon, a pale green leather cushion would suit it perfectly.