Budget movie style safe build up.

I have always wanted a well lit, movie style armory safe like in the movies. I also had a few guns that overflowed my other safes. I wanted something industrial looking. I started with a used jewel vault. Ugly but effective. One inch hardened steel. 5000lbs. The original lock required two manager keys to unlock but there was a one hour delay to unlock after the keys were used. I had it retooled for a push button lock. This I did not cheap out on as this safe would be very hard to get into if the lock failed. I drilled a hole for wiring and destroyed several carbide bits. I got one of the better models and had it professionally installed.

ED34AE7D-D99E-420D-8FFA-A740F1B5E4DF.jpeg

8D05DA03-9630-488A-9845-218761401428.jpeg

The safe was painted with a exterior paint called ironically, Armory Gray
SP7BW0I.jpg
Lock and handle was coated in rubber tool dip. 
GBXTzZT.jpg
Soldered all the light strips together
SZ3UzGi.jpg
I soldered in a IR sensor the cuts the lights off when door is closed. 
XYulS2c.jpg
hhA4bjj.jpg

I bought Uline shelf and cut it down. I took a carpeted shelf that I wasn’t using from another safe and trimmed it to fit. I also added a dehumidifier golden rod. For a splash of color I bought a embroidered flag, and some magnetic tape. This also hides wiring. 

warning.gif  

r5PYJgx.jpg

Edited by NoBodyImportant

58 minutes ago, Novice said:

That looks ace, very well thought out.

What's with the wooden shims along the bottom front edge?

It weights 5000lbs.  I want to be able to move it.  We just paid our house off and we are going to build A new house in a year or two.  I was afraid that if I set it on the ground I wouldn’t get a fork under it. 

36 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Or to get the forklift under to move it 😂

Nailed it. 

27 minutes ago, Scully said:

Looks good.

Are you sure the light does out when you close the door??🤔😳😀

Lol,  I set my phone on record and filmed it from the inside.  

I’m putting the plastic stuff in it.  I’m redoing the inside safe for my SxS overunders and bird guns.  I’m going to velvet line it.  Basically take it in a completely different direction.  I am thinking about covering it in wood and making it look like a cabinet.  But that will be about build thread. 

10 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Very impressive.

I wonder what hoops we (UK) would have to jump through to get something like that "approved" by the FLO??

It’s a TLR 30.  It’s was a gem and precious metal deposititory at a bank.  Why would they deny it?  It has relockers and everything.  I did gut the mini safes out of the inside, that may effect the rated. 

C0DD9AD2-4370-404A-9104-4D31170735A1.jpeg

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

It weights 5000lbs.  I want to be able to move it.  We just paid our house off and we are going to build A new house in a year or two.  I was afraid that if I set it on the ground I wouldn’t get a fork under it. 

Nailed it. 

Lol,  I set my phone on record and filmed it from the inside.  

😀👍

15 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Do you have your own forklift? If so, could someone not just use that to drive of with the whole cabinet 🙂

just saying......

My dads tractor can except forks but you have to have a rollback or something to haul it.  But I don’t have anything at my barn to move it.  Plus my barn is wired the the security alarm in the house.  

7 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

It’s a TLR 30.  It’s was a gem and precious metal deposititory at a bank.  Why would they deny it?  It has relockers and everything.  I did gut the mini safes out of the inside, that may effect the rated. 

C0DD9AD2-4370-404A-9104-4D31170735A1.jpeg

I think all Gun safes have to be certified here? With a Kite mark or similar. Logic doesn't come into it!

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

That look more secure than my building society vault:good: , by the way , are all the guns yours ? , and if so why do want that many all the same ? , or are they different ?

THANKS for sharing

When the American assault weapon ban was lifted in 2004 police departments were setting on thousands of AR15s.  Suddenly they could be sold to the public and they dumped their old 20in rifles and bought 14.5 carbines.  Back then you could buy a complete rifle cheaper then parts to repair a carbine.  I used to shoot thousands of rounds a month and bought about 15 rifles to use as parts for my carbines.  This safe is going to house my overflow guns that don’t get shot much.  I have a diverse collection but I keep my favorite stuff in my inside safes.