PC question

Cranfield

I am switching to a new PC and want to transfer files from the old one to the new.

I have three files about 28GB each and using a memory stick it says that each one will take about 7 hours to download to the stick, I then have the amount of time to upload to the new PC.
Is there a quicker way of doing this ?

I am moving from a "tower" PC to a large screen laptop, to save space and also because Windows will stop supporting Win7 end of this year.
The laptop has nowhere near as many ports as the tower and I do use these folders regularly, so plugging something in and out as needed will be a pain (but it is an option).

If I go the external hard drive route, could I transfer files from the external drive to the laptop as and when I needed them ?

Is it possible to break your files down a bit, and email them to yourself? 

7 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

If I go the external hard drive route, could I transfer files from the external drive to the laptop as and when I needed them

Yes

7 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

I am moving from a "tower" PC to a large screen laptop, to save space and also because Windows will stop supporting Win7 end of this year.
The laptop has nowhere near as many ports as the tower and I do use these folders regularly, so plugging something in and out as needed will be a pain (but it is an option).

If I go the external hard drive route, could I transfer files from the external drive to the laptop as and when I needed them ?

I would be backing up all my files to an external hard drive before I close the old pc down anyway. You can then copy to the new computer as you need them.

On 06/05/2019 at 09:25, Cranfield said:

I am switching to a new PC and want to transfer files from the old one to the new.

I have three files about 28GB each and using a memory stick it says that each one will take about 7 hours to download to the stick, I then have the amount of time to upload to the new PC.
Is there a quicker way of doing this ?

Assuming you have a standard 3.5" HDD in your desktop `tower` , get something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RSHTECH-External-Enclosure-Portable-Support-Black/dp/B07CNZLFGZ/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=hdd+caddy+3.5"&qid=1557242593&s=computers&sr=1-6

Take your HDD out, stick it in the caddy, plug caddy into USB on laptop and it will just treat it as an external drive. Open the relevant folder for it (D: drive or whatever) and drag and drop the files to your laptop. It will take a while but better than using a 3rd party medium.

If the old computer still works get them both connected to the network and you should be able to share files between them using SMB or similar. 28gb is a big file - might take a while but just leave it running and go and put the kettle on