russian plane crash

ditchman

truly awful ...........just been watching the take off

"what on earth suddenly made that plane nose dive when it was 50ft off the ground on take off......................."  ?

Edited by ditchman

Not seen all the angles or videos of this incident.

Early reports of a lightning strike could have caused several linked failures.

My initial hypothesis is that they had a failure of the slat/flaps hence what appears on the video to be a high approach speed.

What happens next appears to be a ‘balloon/bounce’ and instead of the standard ‘go around’ recovery it appears they ‘kept with it’ and suffered a tail strike, which was of such magnitude that the tail section suffered deformation/destructions or a gear failure?

As a result of hydraulic fluid for the Control surfaces and fuel lines to the APU ( as part of whatever failure, this might have been running and drawing fuel) then the result was the fire seen.

Maybe the belly was crippled even further forward, thus engine pylons affected with fuel tanks above.( see above reference to gear failure too)

The structural failure limit of the type that I fly is certified just under 3G ( although the actual ‘tested’ limit is much greater), have had a CoPilot slam it down and produce an ACARS message with associated  print out of 2.68g - nice Engineer inspection required 🙂

That just my instant thought, but as is everything, info will trickle out and the armchair experts will throw their tuppence in.

Either way, a tragic outcome of what we all come to assume is a routine form of transport.

Edited by Jaymo
Forgot something

1 minute ago, Jaymo said:

Not seen all the angles or videos of this incident.

Early reports of a lightning strike could have caused several linked failures.

My initial hypothesis is that they had a failure of the slat/flaps hence what appears on the video to be a high approach speed.

What happens next appears to be a ‘balloon/bounce’ and instead of the standard ‘go around’ recovery it appears they ‘kept with it’ and suffered a tail strike, which was of such magnitude that the tail section suffered deformation/destructions

As a result of hydraulic fluid for the Control surfaces and fuel lines to the APU ( as part of whatever failure, this might have been running and drawing fuel) then the result was the fire seen.

Maybe the belly was crippled even further forward, thus engine pylons affected with fuel tanks above.

The structural failure limit of the type that I fly is certified just under 3G ( although the actual ‘tested’ limit is much greater), have had a CoPilot slam it down and produce an ACARS message with associated  print out of 2.68g - nice Engineer inspection required 🙂

That just my instant thought, but as is everything, info will trickle out and the armchair experts will throw their tuppence in.

Either way, a tragic outcome of what we all come to assume is a routine form of transport.

The accident was truly horrific and it was amazing that so many people survived, in reply to your comments about G, "you bend 'em, we mend 'em!

20 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The accident was truly horrific and it was amazing that so many people survived....

...might have been more if selfish idiots didn't insist on taking their hand luggage with them?

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

it was a well executed evack'................55secs........all out.........

Apart from the 41 who died

Anyone notice how many survivors had their hand baggage with them as they walked across the tarmac!  Incredible.