Return trip on the bucks for the Suffolk lad.

sako751sg

Finally had the lad up from Suffolk for the bucks and relief to get it done and dusted.

Had pencilled in for 3 days but think he thought he had doen enough so done 2 but they were a fine couple.Weather was horrendous,strong freezing Northerly combined with heavy hail and sleet showers which were no ideal at all.

Arrived here at 1750ish and after a wee run round we headed for where i knew would be a banker for the evening and were there for around 1900.By low light he had a couple of nice 6 pointers and and a couple of wee yearlings in velvet so a good start.

Next morning was baltic and wet but we headed away at 0430.

Conditions were a mare and all the bucks we got into we bumped in the morning,so having a couple of things to do gave him the option of the hoosie or with me,no brainer really,and he took the hoosie.Pretty sure he would have spent the whole trip in there but a few hours later i went back,with 5 bucks and 3 does that had been there most of the time but even though some were actually on the march fence,they wouldnt take that extra yard which was frustrating.

He did take a dog fox when i went back that walked within 50m of the hossie.

In the evening he did manage a wee buck but left a few as we had seen a cracking big 6 pointer and hoped he would oblige.

Next morning back out the same time,much better morning with lighter wind and dry.

Totally different morning and could have taken any number with 12-15 bucks seen on the ground.Still was trying for this big fella so was choosy where we shot,but unfortunately he never appeared.He did get a fine old beast that had been resident up to April last year,but had pushed out when i bigger beast had appeared.

For over a year i havent seen him once and it was a great surprise to see him back but his time was up.Still a huge body but the head was going well back.

Also took a yearling which has the best head ive ever personally seen at that age.A mistake on my part although he wouldnt have been around for much last with the big stuff thats on there but still should have left.Funny part is,when Mark came up there were two together and i said not to take this one as he was too good for the age.In velvet then and didnt really appreciate what he was.

Same morning he had another 2 smaller ones so ended with 9 bucks and a fox for his couple of days.ZUDzWoH.jpg

PCEBeBO.jpg

DJFPVw1.jpg

xoYrxrd.jpg

OFRWiN6.jpg

wXNbRyu.jpg

hwCabcE.jpg

dTSk8ig.jpg

6Ah7fWL.jpg

3bcxQP9.jpg

7cftJQr.jpgHqi3yBp.jpg

efu3Jiw.jpg

mVghJEz.jpg

FZnrHR0.jpg

3O7O0en.jpg

PAk1jNe.jpg

tKRFFMA.jpg

xerMZOY.jpg

ON2ApfV.jpg

qU40lYO.jpg

Cy8wGCr.jpg

EzufVzL.jpg

jPqEvyv.jpg

3 hours ago, Konnie said:

thanks for the time writing,  sounds like a grand trip.

Thanks Konnie,i had a great time and hopefully the other lad did too.

2 hours ago, JDog said:

Thanks for posting.

Great picture of the Corn bunting and the Bull finches.

All that time and effort on the high seat and the window is propped open by a stick.

Cheers JD,and im embarrassed to say i didnt study the Corn Bunting properly and just presumed it was a Linnet so been educated today.We kept Linnets for decades too and cant believe i just presumed.

When at the hoosie the other day there were Linnets,(real ones this time),Bullies,loads of Goldfinches,a single Blackcap as well as a single Red Poll,quite a few Willow Warblers and all the usual suspects and that was all visible from the hoosie and mostly at the feeder and the wee niger station.

Outstanding to see and pretty sure the 20+ magpies taken in the trap in that one wood last year has made a huge difference.

Everyone has a say about the window props and say exactly the same as you but it has kept it rustic,lol.

1 hour ago, bumpy22 said:

Fantastic as usual. Just finished my second fox box. Certainly a lot more comfortable than lying on bales

Ta Bumpy.

Makes a long wait all the better imo and cant be too comfy.

Edited by sako751sg
Rubbish spelling.

11 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

A great trip Dave but wouldn't expect any other. Great pics of bullies and Goldie. Recognise a few spots there.

Ta Mark.

Weather was keech but lucky the roe were still in the usual sheltered bits.Wee bit  more colour now too from when you were doon.