.17 hmr Hornady v-max

Yes you will get quite a few after firing. Check all your cartridges on purchase and see how many split necks you have. Its been better in recent years but use those first, you don`t want to keep split necks in stock for too long, the powder may well get damp, as mine did!

FB

This issue is well reported, however i have never had a problem with .17 hmr ammo. 95% of the ammo i've used is the Hornady stuff. 

I check them in ( never found a split pre firing) and out (never had an issue after firing. Jst to add some scale to what i'm saying, i've shot a lot of this ammunition.

Here's the check i do after a night out on rabbit. Tip 'em out on a board and check the cases for splits. If i ever had a split case i'd take the whole batch back but it's never occurred.

anshutz_172012b.jpg   

Edited by Whitebridges

Got nearly a whole box unfired with split necks. Had loads split after firing. Some needed knife to extract brass. Also had 3 wedge up the barrel. I am amazed others have not come across this as all of the guys I shoot with have. Used hmr pretty much since they came out. Great calibre but ammunition is it's only downfall

As I have said on previous discussions on this subject, I have never had a problem, even went and picked twenty or thrity old ejected cases from the floor and rubber carpets of my Landie and still none.  Can only assume it is a batch problem.  Heh! the squirrels still keep falling over.  THWOKK !!!!   I love that sound.

Edited by Walker570

• 2 weeks later...

Dsc01241a.thumb.jpg.bf2ea7cde023b8a4e38e7c5bc9060ef9.jpg

Been going on for the last 10-15 years, I'm up to about 350 split ones, no doubt a lot more I've missed, just a few above.

NEVER effected the shot though, but on a different note, I have had a few hang fires on HMR which is disconcerting to say the least.

EDIT

ALL makes suffer, not just Hornady.   Winchester actually make their own HMR, but the vast majority of other makes (inc. Hornady) are made by CCI.

Edited by Dekers

Had a few splits, something different this time  , lined up on a rabbit , pulled trigger CLICK, thought maybe haven’t reloaded, just about to reload, BANG, luckily still on rabbit, put the fear of Christ up me , there where  4 people on board the truck could have been nasty, 1st HANG. FIRE, don’t want an other one.

6 hours ago, scouser said:

Had a few splits, something different this time  , lined up on a rabbit , pulled trigger CLICK, thought maybe haven’t reloaded, just about to reload, BANG, luckily still on rabbit, put the fear of Christ up me , there where  4 people on board the truck could have been nasty, 1st HANG. FIRE, don’t want an other one.

Yep I had one a few years back. Frightening

Hang fires in any calibre even shotguns can occur but are fortunately very rare and important to wait a while before opening the bolt/action. I remember it occuring one or two times with dedicated 308 factory target ammo way back in the 70s and 80s  I am amazed at those cases Dekers as I have never had a problem with 17HMR right from the inception of the calibre in this country. Both of my rifles have been CZs and the first was one of the first shipped out by Edgars when introduced, two of my mates and I had a race to Simpsons of Shepshed to have first choice of three he had just  received.   I haven't a clue how many I have fired over all those years but a lot.  I can only believe it is a 'batch' problem and I have been lucky .

Still my favorite varmint calibre, surgical precision instrument.

24 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

A Q for the experts out there.

Is there any logical reason why Anschutz gun users seem to have a lot less trouble than those using other guns? 

They haven't looked at their cases, the HMR issues effect ALL guns and ALL HMR ammo!

47 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Hang fires in any calibre even shotguns can occur but are fortunately very rare and important to wait a while before opening the bolt/action. I remember it occuring one or two times with dedicated 308 factory target ammo way back in the 70s and 80s  I am amazed at those cases Dekers as I have never had a problem with 17HMR right from the inception of the calibre in this country. Both of my rifles have been CZs and the first was one of the first shipped out by Edgars when introduced, two of my mates and I had a race to Simpsons of Shepshed to have first choice of three he had just  received.   I haven't a clue how many I have fired over all those years but a lot.  I can only believe it is a 'batch' problem and I have been lucky .

Still my favorite varmint calibre, surgical precision instrument.

It's a problem called HMR ammo.

This goes back to 2007 and the problems are still ongoing!

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/answers/are-these-split-rifle-shells-safe-19680

4 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

A Q for the experts out there.

Is there any logical reason why Anschutz gun users seem to have a lot less trouble than those using other guns? 

Not an expert so can't be certain but would hazard a guess that it's down to more precise machining tolerances and possibly at the tighter end. Having said that I do believe it is the ammo that is the problem. My first batch of Remingtons were a disaster with regard to splitting, but with subsequent loads and without exception they've been faultless - and the most accurate. One question I still can't get the answer to is, yes, by and large CCI makes most of them, but to whose specification - theirs or there customers'?

Don`t get too hung up on split cases after firing, this can be perfectly normal and will not affect the shot unless you are unlucky and get a hang fire. I understand that it is because of the sizing of the cases, they cannot be re annealed after the priming compound is spun into the case base and are then needing to be neck sized for the HMR bullet  (The process as I understand it uses the same machinery as the WMR round from which the HMR is a wild cat off shoot) until it needs neck sizing. Just check for splits in the neck and shoulder on new boxes and use them first. Splits in the neck and shoulder when taken from a warm cabinet to a cold and damp field will allow moisture to ingress into the case (changes in air pressure and humidity, cartridges may be subject to this several times journeying to and from the field having not been fired). I have had several over the years where the powder solidifies into quite thick lumps that do not fire. 

Recent purchases seem to be better than in the past but I still check on purchase of new boxes.

This is just my take on it.

FB

Yes, the measurements of the chambers is a concern for me as well, as I genuinely have never experienced a split in either of my CZs. The brass has to have a space to expend in does it not? I am no expert on these things but assume to split as badly as shown, the neck has to expand.

As in my previous post it`s because the case is produced on the WMR  production line. After the priming compound is spun to get it into the rims the cases require neck sizing again and normally with centre fire cartridges this isn't a problem as no primer has been installed, but the amount of heat required makes it extremely dangerous to attempt on the HMR, so they dont. The HMR case because its so small and thin is  then formed "cold" and this is where the problem comes.

On purchasing new HMR cartridges I check each and every cartridge in my car, in the car park. If I find less than say 6 in a box that has splits of any kind I tend to accept this, if more, I get them back in the shop. Normally they open a brand new box from a different batch and I check them till we are both satisfied.

I personally think that we have to accept that this is a problem that isn't going to go away,  but as the round is so good we will have to live with it, but being aware of the potential problems.

FB

Edited by Flyboy1950

11 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

But most cases are split before firing that is the problem. Which is the cause of the power not going off and bullets being stuck in the barrel

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/answers/are-these-split-rifle-shells-safe-19680

Most cases are split AFTER firing, obviously some before, read the article above I posted earlier in the tread!

:good: