Fishing kayak

mgsontour

I haven't tried a lot of fishing kayaks, so mine is Hobie Mirage Outback. It is an expensive unit but it worth its price. Hobie is my first “good kayak”, and I'm not disappointed in this purchase. Drive system of this kayak is wonderful, it is fast and very stable. I've had no problem standing up and fishing in it. Just found this article https://improb.com/best-fishing-kayaks/, there are a lot of fishing kayaks, about 20 models. 

I'd also recommend thinking about drysuit because water is cold usually. I prefer Ocean Rodeo drysuits, you can check them at their official site oceanrodeo.com. If you are not a fan of this brand, you can find more info about kayaking drysuits here.

8 hours ago, Briarej said:

I haven't tried a lot of fishing kayaks, so mine is Hobie Mirage Outback. It is an expensive unit but it worth its price. Hobie is my first “good kayak”, and I'm not disappointed in this purchase. Drive system of this kayak is wonderful, it is fast and very stable. I've had no problem standing up and fishing in it. Just found this article https://improb.com/best-fishing-kayaks/, there are a lot of fishing kayaks, about 20 models. 

I'd also recommend thinking about drysuit because water is cold usually. I prefer Ocean Rodeo drysuits, you can check them at their official site oceanrodeo.com. If you are not a fan of this brand, you can find more info about kayaking drysuits here.

A thread old enough for me to have a different kayak!

• 2 years later...
On 23/03/2022 at 20:22, miawade said:
Met a few cool guys on base this past weekend and was talking about how limited surf fishing can get. They all had kayaks that cost 3.5k. Now they have me thinking about buying a fishing kayak but I don’t really know what to look for on a kayak. Also have no idea of what price range to buy in terms of value. Anyone have an extra kayak and able to introduce me to some kayak fishing before I commit? Can pay for bait and time or something like that.

I kayak fish - and I actually mean kayak, not these glorified pedalos that are Hobies ;) . It's a bit of a minefield to start. But the basic rule of thumb is your budget is half kayak, half everything else - and a good amount of the everything else should be making sure you're safe. PFD, suitable clothing (wetsuit minimum, drysuit ideally) and radio (plus completed course and licence) as well as paddle leash, safety knife; compass. 

When it comes to buying a kayak, there really isn't a lot to go wrong with the decent brands, so second hand is the way to go. fishing yak prices fall off a cliff initially, but then retain a reasonable second hand value, so it makes a lot of sense to buy second hand - so long as you buy sensibly! Ocean Kayak, Wilderness Systems, Perception all make excellent plastic kayaks, but the best of the best is Viking (I'm not biased...really I'm not. I'm a little bit biased.). My assumptions is this'll be used in the sea? In which case 13ft is a realistic minimum. Length helps keep a kayak paddling straight. It's both energy efficient for paddling, but also really important in helping you not turning broadside and flipping you in swell, surf or wake. 

Have you ever kayaked before?

• 1 year later...

A fishing kayak is a specialized type of kayak designed specifically for anglers who want to fish on rivers, lakes, or other bodies of water. These kayaks are equipped with features and accessories to make fishing more convenient and enjoyable.

Before purchasing a fishing kayak, it's essential to consider your specific needs, budget, and the type of fishing you'll be doing. Additionally, it's crucial to be familiar with kayak safety and have the necessary fishing gear and knowledge to ensure a successful and enjoyable fishing experience.

Edited by farhanamuneer

4 hours ago, farhanamuneer said:

A fishing kayak is a specialized type of kayak designed specifically for anglers who want to fish on rivers, lakes, or other bodies of water. These kayaks are equipped with features and accessories to make fishing more convenient and enjoyable.

Before purchasing a fishing kayak, it's essential to consider your specific needs, budget, and the type of fishing you'll be doing. Additionally, it's crucial to be familiar with kayak safety and have the necessary fishing gear and knowledge to ensure a successful and enjoyable fishing experience.

Would it be important to be able to swim 🤔