Free running

Does anyone allow their dog to just...run.. I have a paddock across the road and i allow my springer to just run mad, he walks to heel until we get to the gate then a word and he's off, he loves it. I think it allows him let off steam and just be a dog..He seems to come back into line when i ask him,  I read somewhere that a dog should only walk to heel or be working, any thoughts

I'm no working dog expert but in my view, if anyone really loves their dog, they should be allowed the freedom to wander, within reason of course. Surely anything else means they are treated just like any other tool? I guess one dependency though, is to what extent can the dog behave itself when off the leash. If there's a squirrel in sight, I don't stand a chance of controlling mine. Otherwise he's well behaved. (He's only walked on fields and on farm tracks with negligible traffic).

That is the point at which you find out if all the work you have done since the little pup arrived in your home has worked out.  I have gone through numerous dogs in my life and only failed on one and that was probably the very best dog I ever owned. Muffin my chocy lab got bitten on the nose by a fox. I had shot it at about 10yrds with the 12 gauge, muff was sat at my side and the fox went down instant and dead as far as I was concerned, Muff walked across to chek it out and in it's dying throws the fox managed to just nip him on the nose. Did not break the skin but Muffin never ever forgot that instance and from that day on treated any fox he came across as the enemy and he would course one till it went to ground or he caught it.  In 14yrs I never ever broke him of it. I saw him pick up a big dead dog fox once and swing it round like a rag doll and attached at the other end was my freinds spaniel off the ground most of the time.

I remember carrying one down the mountain one day from a fox drive and whistled Muff, he saw the fox and took one leap and flattend me in the mud.  He would retrieve everything else with utmost delicacy with not a mark.  He did get angry when he could not lift a roe buck to bring it to me, but he tried.  Happy memories.

Yes!  Let your dog have his/her own time of free play but you must be sure you still have control.  Remember a lady one morning as guns met at Aquelate Hall. She opened the back of an MGB and five labs...yes five leapt out and ran off in all directions.  One pip of the whistle and a command and they all raced back and lined up like a brigade of guards. Nice to see.

673.JPG

Edited by Walker570

Not for me, little Stan gets all the fun and excitement by working, he never goes for a "walk" it's always some form of training I want to be in control 99% of the time as you just never know what may happen. It maybe a humanization thing to see the dog doing what it wants but if done right the dog will be just as happy working. How old is the dog? Just be careful it doesn't undue any of your early training. 

Much like handy4454 I use get on as a general 'at ease' command and my lab will just do as she pleases, but one word or pip of the whistle and her attention is straight back to me. Never had a problem as she never leaves my sight (her choice), but when she really let's loose in a big open space, she could give a greyhound a run for its money. 

My dogs walk to heel for a short time at the beginning and end of a walk. Inbetween times they run about with gay abandon. Should I want to get them back three peeps on the return whistle sees them haring back to me.

Cheers folks.. my reason for asking is to do with, out of season and no work for the dog, my own lack of time to take the dog for a decent walk and the number of ground nesting birds that i dont want to disturb.. hence letting him have a blast in an area that is safe and unrestricted

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

Cheers folks.. my reason for asking is to do with, out of season and no work for the dog, my own lack of time to take the dog for a decent walk and the number of ground nesting birds that i dont want to disturb.. hence letting him have a blast in an area that is safe and unrestricted

To top up fitness I drop a dummy, walk on a hundred yards and send them back on every walk several times.trebles their exercise compared with mine

I do the same, Dave at Kelton, but if I get distracted my ESS plays the game on his own - problem being we have sometimes walked half a mile before I realise he no longer has the dummy so I then have to walk all the way back - anything up to about 200 yards and he remembers, beyond that he doesn't really have the confidence to go where he cannot see me. I often resort to hiding the thing up a tree (only a couple of feet up) then walk him away around 50 yards before sending him to retrieve it - seems to totally mess with his brain but he is starting to get the hang of it.

Actually maybe I should add that those of us who have multiple dogs can rely on them to play with one another and stay occupied that way whereas a single dog may be more inclined to find its own entertainment where we dont want them to🤔

I think free running isn't the right title for me more like controlled exercise maybe. I let my lot go down a track fenced on both sides with the words go on, they streak of down the track but after 5 minutes the lot of them are bumbling about just in front of me this gives me the chance to call them to me by name and get them to return back to me one at a time sometimes two or three come back when I only have called one I just ignore the others and make a fuss of the dog that I have called then releasing it with GO ON I think this helps to keep them close by harnessing the natural optimism of a spaniel hoping it will be recalled and fussed over, also making sure they know their names.  Plus a bit of dummy work helps to stop them from getting bored and yes they do get the odd flush now and then but as always I have my whistle to hand or should I say mouth .When out and about they come across runners walkers with dogs and horses etc this I think makes them a more rounded and less hyper dogs . Mined you that's only my way of seeing it or I could be a  lazy so and so by not taking them out one at a time:P

Edited by scutt

I see your in Northumberland scutt so it wasn't you but......

Last year I shot at Worlaby and there was a guy picking up with a number of dogs, don't ask me how many I couldn't count them. They all sat motionless throughout the drive about 300yrds behind me on the skyline. The horn went for the drive to end and I looked back as I always do to indicate to pickers up where I have birds down. The guy just waved his hand and the whole 'herd' and that is the only word ..pack doesn't meet it.... roared off on their own track hunting every inch of the ground for 50 - 60yrs either side as he walked towards me. As each dog picked it returned the bird, looked up and was told to go find another. It was impressive and on reaching the line of guns he just pipped and they all collected around him and he strolled off for the next drive.  I can envisage him out for a mornings excersise and it would be much he same. They where a team and he was team captain.

Edited by Walker570

When I get to the place where i am going to set up I let my dog run free but keep my eye on him the moment I take my gun out the slip and recall him he comes back and sits next to me until I send him to retrieve, I find letting him run off some steam makes him more responsive to the whistle, if i am rough shooting  he runs free until I need him to hunt then I call him in and send him to work he definitely knows the difference between play time and work time he is a completely different dog when working

58 minutes ago, Farcombehall said:

When I get to the place where i am going to set up I let my dog run free but keep my eye on him the moment I take my gun out the slip and recall him he comes back and sits next to me until I send him to retrieve, I find letting him run off some steam makes him more responsive to the whistle, if i am rough shooting  he runs free until I need him to hunt then I call him in and send him to work he definitely knows the difference between play time and work time he is a completely different dog when working

Thats the thing really.. when i posted this I thought i would be remonstrated with for allowing my dog to run mad on occasion. but most have said they allow it, given he recalls and works when its time..:good:

It doesn't really matter how or what you do with your dog as long as your happy with your lot. People including myself just have a slightly different opinion, that's why there is varied responses. 

Good look with the dog 👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/05/2019 at 01:46, bigbird said:

We take all ours for a run together round the fields - they know the command ‘that’ll do’ and they know it’s their free time. That said they all just hoolie around our feet anyway 😂

Interesting. In the border collie world the same command means leave your sheep and return to me...so almost the complete opposite.

On the thread topic, it's my view that any dog worth its keep should have sense enough to know when it's 'under orders' and when it's not and I've always given mine the opportunity to just race about to let off steam, particularly when they haven't been getting much real work. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't.

5 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Interesting. In the border collie world the same command means leave your sheep and return to me...so almost the complete opposite.

On the thread topic, it's my view that any dog worth its keep should have sense enough to know when it's 'under orders' and when it's not and I've always given mine the opportunity to just race about to let off steam, particularly when they haven't been getting much real work. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't.

True but as far as a dog’s concerned it associates the word with what it’s been taught - anyone could teach their dog that ‘stick around’ or even blowing a raspberry at them meant have your hoolie now 😂😂

Agreed, a well trained dog should and will know the difference between work and play 👍

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

True but as far as a dog’s concerned it associates the word with what it’s been taught - anyone could teach their dog that ‘stick around’ or even blowing a raspberry at them meant have your hoolie now 😂😂

Agreed, a well trained dog should and will know the difference between work and play 👍

Got to agree here 

you could even teach them the commands in a foreign language 

oh perhaps they do that abroad 🤭

personally like a dog to look at me on the whistle and give them a hand signal

helps when there old and deaf😊