The decline in birds and mammals

The situation regarding NE and the new GL’s has made me think long and hard over the last few days.

Now, with the upsurge of groups like WJ over the last 10 or so years is there any correlation with the subsequent decline of certain birds and some mammals, I believe that some conservation groups and animal protection groups approach to nature and conservation has over the years been partly to blame for the decline in common garden and countryside birds and the recovery of some birds on the endangered list.

The RSPB and their allies have had it pretty much their own way over the years, the reintroduction of certain birds and mammals into the countryside and the over protection afforded them seem to run in parallel with this decline.

These people think nature will find a balance, well lets look at this balance, the Red Kite for one, their numbers are artificially high in some areas due to feed stations, this is not nature maintaining a balance, now with the problems facing us with the new licences its looking like more birds will be almost as untouchable as the Red Kite, the over protection of certain birds and mammals must have a knock on effect, and of course not to mention the decline in Hedgehog numbers, but as we all know the decline is mainly down to farmers and people going around shooting everything that moves.

As Mr Avery likes studies he may like this one, warning to some readers, Red Kites do catch and eat amongst other things, Blackbirds and Song Thrushes to name but two…https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/00063658109476696

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Counted 10 bumblebee nests dug out by badgers in my 10 acre wood this week so far and the Packhams and banjo players of this world keep on about saving the badger ...why? So it can destroy more wildlife ? 

But they are so cute, just like the otters!

I agree with you TC and I think they are amazing animals but they have no predators and breed like rabbits.  When I was a child to have a badger on your farm was enjoyed and if like foxes they got over populated then we thinned them, same as we did with rabbits and hares.  I am old enough to remember the introduction of TB testing and back then badgers where never mentioned in the same sentence.

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

What bumble bees?

I agree they are also. Fantastic little creatures who only do good in this world.

Most of the problem is that a lot if not most of these groups are only interested in one species.  Protect their chosen animal or bird and will not entertain the idea that their cute and cuddly could possible harm anything else   

27 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Most of the problem is that a lot if not most of these groups are only interested in one species.  Protect their chosen animal or bird and will not entertain the idea that their cute and cuddly could possible harm anything else   

Devils advocate here

Perhaps you should look at pheasant numbers released into the countryside, then work out how that effects predator numbers, no one is exempt here. habitat loss,  human encroachment, roads, rail etc etc , to achieve a balance is almost impossible 

https://www.gwct.org.uk/research/species/birds/common-pheasant/fate-of-released-pheasants/

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting/game-shooting/game-birds-released-54127

Edited by islandgun

6 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Devils advocate here

Perhaps you should look at pheasant numbers released into the countryside, then work out how that effects predator numbers, no one is exempt here. habitat loss,  human encroachment, roads, rail etc etc , to achieve a balance is almost impossible 

https://www.gwct.org.uk/research/species/birds/common-pheasant/fate-of-released-pheasants/

You are right achieving balance is impossible but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try, protecting one species above others is not trying for balance and you can not protect all species equally at the same time and it gets even worse when as some do reduce it down to the individual animal.  

If we went back to being hunter gatherers we would probably have less impact but would that just be because there would be less of use? 

10 hours ago, scolopax said:

Changes to agricultural  practices are almost entirely responsible for the declines 

Cereal fields are effectively sterile and silage grass is a disaster for most wildlife.

I would say not almost entirely due to farming practice, but partly, yes.

Unless I need to go to specsavers.

1 hour ago, old man said:

Interestingly maybe? forthcoming TV programme about Hedgehogs?

Mr Backshall, Dr May but probably no mention about Badgers?

There has been a huge hedgehog removal programme in the Uist here.. note the funding.  There are plenty of hedgehogs in the north of Harris and Lewis, which i suspect will be treated in the same way

https://www.nature.scot/professional-advice/land-and-sea-management/managing-wildlife/uist-wader-research

I will be remarkable if the real truth comes out, that on occasion Badgers will predate Hedgehog.

As we know, Badgers and H Hogs like every other omnivore can decimate animals of a lower order if present in out of balance numbers.

Holding breath, not too hard.