A sporting day.

JDog

Today was the first day for a while without rain or cold easterly winds so I planned some sporting activities.

The day nearly got off to a very sporting start when I returned to bed to read at 6:30 having walked the dogs. Some time later my wife turned to me whilst I was engrossed in my book and asked 'Would you like to see a Little Bunting?' That was an offer too good to refuse until she showed me a picture of Emberiza pusilla on her laptop. Apparently one has been seen on the Lincolnshire coast. How disappointing.

Fishing was the first sport and I travelled the short distance to my local ponds to find once again that I had the place to myself. Using caster or maggot I caught some roach in fine condition before I returned home for lunch.

During the 'week off' I frightened quite a lot of pigeons on my own and with Clodhopper and Ginger Cat. Somehow it's not the same and today I meant to make amends for Natural England's ineptitude. Carrying all of my kit I walked along a hedge until I found a gap which is where I set up. I chose this place as it seemed that pigeons were flying down either side of the hedge and the place I chose was the only one where I could see both sides. The crop being protected was a backward rape field. There was a strip for a birdy mix between the hedge and the crop.

The line which I thought was close to the hedge turned out to be 200m wide and even though I saw a lot of birds and some even came to the magnet the number of chances I had was limited and those were long range. An enjoyable two hours came to an end when I *** *** ** **********. It was ever thus. I picked 22 pigeons. 

Pond May 19.jpg

Hide 1.jpg

Hide 2.jpg

Edited by JDog

You would have got off to a better start if your good lady had said the Little Bunting was tucked up in the bush 😋 , Still you got out and had some enjoyment in the countryside in what look like a fairs day weather , we had a bit of rain off and on from dinnertime till around five o clock .

With you been a keen bird watcher , do you get many Avocets around your coastline ?, this evening I walked up the north end of the estuary , the tide was low and there Avocets to be seen everywhere , mainly in pairs probing the mud flats along with Egrets , Shelducks , Curlew , Whimbel and a few more species of waders and geese , it was well worth going up there and a nice way to finish the day off .

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done, I'm glad you had a sporting day out. It rained all day here.

Maybe , but that don't normally stop the main man , I think if you were hungry for a few shots at pigeons the fishing umbrella would have came into play and the report would have came in during the evening , or are you confirmed to Saturdays only ?:lol:

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

Maybe , but that don't normally stop the main man , I think if you were hungry for a few shots at pigeons the fishing umbrella would have came into play and the report would have came in during the evening , or are you confirmed to Saturdays only ?:lol:

During this time of the year the shooting is normally slow, so I tend to do my gardening and household projects. DB's employment has changed which excludes Fidays , so Saturday's are the main shooting day unless I have a call to which I would always respond. 

We have always shot as a team effort , and we feed of each other's ideas and support so as a certain Austrian said " I'll be back "".

Edited by pigeon controller

2 minutes ago, Seadog1408 said:

I read it as "ran out of cartridges" boggy.

Thanks for that Seadog. Perhaps I was trying to read something more sinister into it, but now it makes perfect sense that JDog wished to keep that quiet. Not the first time schoolboy error has foreshortened his outings :no:.

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Thanks for that Seadog. Perhaps I was trying to read something more sinister into it, but now it makes perfect sense that JDog wished to keep that quiet. Not the first time schoolboy error has foreshortened his outings :no:.

Memory lapse due to still thinking about " The Little Bunting"