Ttfjlc

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Yes exactly .

I have a .177 pump up pistol .

Which i use for pigeon dispatch in the hide .

It makes zero difference which pellet i use as the shot is about 1.5  inches from the back of the head. 

So you don’t ring their necks or use a priest?

I dont use a preist .

I do some times wring their necks but i find the cleanest and quickest way for me with the minimal amount of flapping or blood is a pellet to the back of the head .its instant and controlled .and 100 % reliable as long as you have around 5 fpe .

Its easy to load a pellet in the pistol when the dog is retrieving a bird and if its not 100 % dead on return then the  pistol gets the job done fast and effectively in what can some times be a small cramped  hide .

Edited by Ultrastu

I use flat heads in pistols at close ranges up to 10 metres, but I wouldn’t use them in an air rifle at 25 yd. 

To be honest, your cards don’t look like good groups to me, hardly grouping at all really. You are right not to go hunting.  

Bench rested at 25 yd I would expect my 100K to shoot a full mag of 14 pellets through a single hole, and I would be fixating on the size of that hole. Anything larger than 15 mm diameter would annoy me. With the right pellet I get 8 - 12 mm, and my scope is a bit limited. But getting the right pellet is the tricky bit.

What to do with your old pellets?  Sell them cheap to someone with a Kalibrgun, which seem to shoot any old pellet no fuss more accurately than an HW100. And yes, I am looking.

33 minutes ago, wobbly bob 2 said:

I use flat heads in pistols at close ranges up to 10 metres, but I wouldn’t use them in an air rifle at 25 yd. 

To be honest, your cards don’t look like good groups to me, hardly grouping at all really. You are right not to go hunting.  

Bench rested at 25 yd I would expect my 100K to shoot a full mag of 14 pellets through a single hole, and I would be fixating on the size of that hole. Anything larger than 15 mm diameter would annoy me. With the right pellet I get 8 - 12 mm, and my scope is a bit limited. But getting the right pellet is the tricky bit.

What to do with your old pellets?  Sell them cheap to someone with a Kalibrgun, which seem to shoot any old pellet no fuss more accurately than an HW100. And yes, I am looking.

bit harsh really, the opp has clearly said he's trying out a pellet with a new (second hand) gun.

Everyone starts somewhere.

Well, I didn't mean to be cruel, but he's hardly a newcomer here with 1200 posts, and I have been trying to help him with the pellet thing, and I don't see that telling him those cards are good at 25 yd bench rested is any use at all. 

The HW100 has its faults, but it is generally better than that, Mice!

No offense taken wobbly Bob 2 and Mice I appreciate the support, been shooting springers on and off over the years, got a huntsman classic 6 years ago which was my first venture into the world of pcps, jsb's or AADF were all it ever needed, same went for the s400 I had for 2 years, that was ridiculously accurate, once I get paper punching with a few different pellets I'll post the pictures on here for wobbly Bob 2 to scrutinize then await his request for some cheap pellets. :lol:

I can only presume wobbly bob doesnt shoot flat head pellets ? 

I do at paper and rats (at which they excel )

Yes the photos of groups above wouldnt be great for a jsb domed pellet where you should aspire to a group like the 25 yd target at 50 yds .but these are flat head groups and ive never seen even the best most expensive flat head (and yes there are some very good qualtiy flat heads available  ) pellet group well at 40 yds .

Having said that i shot an inch group at 35 yds with air arms match last week which i was very pleased with .but that group is still 20 yds shorter than id expect with the same gun and a jsb exact 

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all, well after a lot of expense, foul language, sulking and sighing I believe that JSB Heavies are what my HW100 prefers. The 1st picture is of several brands, top targets at 30 yards bottom target 40 yards, wasn't impressed with most of them so it was suggested that I try a scope with a finer reticle, different scope sourced from a very kind RFD to try before buying, 2nd picture is from tonight with Airarms express 7.9s at 40 yards, 3rd picture is again from tonight with JSB Heavies 10.34s at 40 yards. 

All shooting done outside with a bit of breeze, shooting from a bench with bipod plus a rest under stock, test scope on x12 zoom, no 'pulled shots' as gun was rock steady.

IMG_20190523_203204-3120x2340.jpg

IMG_20190523_201710-1560x2080.jpg

IMG_20190523_201510-1560x2080.jpg

8 minutes ago, Ttfjlc said:

Evening all, well after a lot of expense, foul language, sulking and sighing I believe that JSB Heavies are what my HW100 prefers. The 1st picture is of several brands, top targets at 30 yards bottom target 40 yards, wasn't impressed with most of them so it was suggested that I try a scope with a finer reticle, different scope sourced from a very kind RFD to try before buying, 2nd picture is from tonight with Airarms express 7.9s at 40 yards, 3rd picture is again from tonight with JSB Heavies 10.34s at 40 yards. 

All shooting done outside with a bit of breeze, shooting from a bench with bipod plus a rest under stock, test scope on x12 zoom, no 'pulled shots' as gun was rock steady.

IMG_20190523_203204-3120x2340.jpg

IMG_20190523_201710-1560x2080.jpg

IMG_20190523_201510-1560x2080.jpg

HELLO, now try with  LT 1 pellet lube, today i did a zero with a FX Vermy MK 1 22 at 25 yards using AA field 5 shots all in the blue, but it was a rested position, you try some LT 1 and see the difference

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

The images above just go to show why when testing a gun for accuracy you should do it at the furthest practical range possible. 

The 30 yd card shows most pellets to group well and similar to each other .

Bit when its pushed to 40 yds some of the groups fall apart leaving clear winners and losers. 

I like the look of the weirauch magnum pellets .ie barracuda match / bisley magnum. 

My mate bought a brocock gun  that was brilliant grouping at 30 yds but toatally fell apart at 50 yds. Irrespective of pellet. 

Edited by Ultrastu

10 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, if you get some L T 1 and better results let us know, i got mine from uk gun lube.com  100ml bottle will last many years

I have read reviews on pellet lube, plenty are for and against it but I'll get some and when I get the chance I'll post the pictures. :good:

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

The images above just go to show why when testing a gun for accuracy you should do it at the furthest practical range possible. 

The 30 yd card shows most pellets to group well and similar to each other .

Bit when its pushed to 40 yds some of the groups fall apart leaving clear winners and losers. 

I like the look of the weirauch magnum pellets .ie barracuda match / bisley magnum. 

My mate bought a brocock gun  that was brilliant grouping at 30 yds but toatally fell apart at 50 yds. Irrespective of pellet. 

Interesting to read about your mate's gun, what did he do with it in the end? I have read that some people simply can't get on with a gun, did you have a go with it? I'm still not 100% happy with mine and my RFD has said if need be he'll have a look over it in case something is not quite right, those weihrauch pellets do have barracuda match on the bottom of the tin. 

Have you given the barrel a good clean then re leaded it?

If I'm all rested and shooting in good conditions in my garden i expect tight groups, shots that wander are down to me, but its only normally 25 metres max, as is most of my shooting though, hardly pushing the boat i know.

What stu says makes a lot of sense, once you extend the range the groups will open up if things aren't spot on.

I'm sure I've read about some HW barrels having tight spots or the crowns needing looking at?

i would try shooting two or three shots with the pellet you've found the gun likes, try to relax see how you get on, Start at 25 or 30 yards no point pushing the range till your happy and confident.

56 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Have you given the barrel a good clean then re leaded it?

If I'm all rested and shooting in good conditions in my garden i expect tight groups, shots that wander are down to me, but its only normally 25 metres max, as is most of my shooting though, hardly pushing the boat i know.

What stu says makes a lot of sense, once you extend the range the groups will open up if things aren't spot on.

I'm sure I've read about some HW barrels having tight spots or the crowns needing looking at?

i would try shooting two or three shots with the pellet you've found the gun likes, try to relax see how you get on, Start at 25 or 30 yards no point pushing the range till your happy and confident.

Yes mate barrel cleaned, just may need a few more pellets down the barrel as those groups were after around 2 or 3 mags, thing I should remember is those are 14 shot groups, I've put 3 or 4 pellets on top of each other during a round, some people only do 5 shot groups where as I like to do a full mag. Just zeroed to 30 yards tonight and it's grouping nicely. :good:

What I'm curious about is what size groups are people happy with at any given range with their own guns? 

33 minutes ago, Ttfjlc said:

Yes mate barrel cleaned, just may need a few more pellets down the barrel as those groups were after around 2 or 3 mags, thing I should remember is those are 14 shot groups, I've put 3 or 4 pellets on top of each other during a round, some people only do 5 shot groups where as I like to do a full mag. Just zeroed to 30 yards tonight and it's grouping nicely. :good:

What I'm curious about is what size groups are people happy with at any given range with their own guns? 

hello, thats good to hear, 30 yards i would be happy if in the blue centre

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, Ttfjlc said:

The thing is the more your aiming at one spot as you say for 14 shots the more chance your going to pull a shot eventually, I've done it and I'm sure everyone else has, and it really annoys you which puts you off.

if your covering your groups with a five pence piece then you've cracked it.

I'll happily fire off a couple of mags every now and again but if I've loaded two 7 shot mags and the first 4 or 5 are bang on the money then I'll just stop, I'm only plinking because I don't shoot much so its nice to just shoulder the rifle, and check everything is as it should be for when a squirrel or rat pops up.

Ok this first group is a 5 shot at exactly 40 yds ..i was aiming bang on with 33 yd zero and there was a touch of wind right to left .this is a sub 12 .177 jsb exact .bsa ultra .

IMG_20190524_232353.jpg

This next group is at 75 yds with my .25 cal fx fac .

IMG_20190524_232335.jpg

Thats the type of accuracy im looking for in a .177 at those ranges .

And for me bsa gets me there more often 

Oldypigeonpopper, I made the mistake of spending hours reading about potential problems, barrels twisting, dodgy threads, rough crowns etc, however the one that did catch my interest was opinions were divided on whether or not to removal the o ring from the barrel band.

Mice, good point about the confidence thing, like I said earlier I have put 3 or 4 pellets on top of each other thinking I'm on a roll only to have the next 1 or 2 go slightly wayward and you're spot on as I then swear at myself and lose concentration.

UltraStu, much appreciated for the pictures, I've often read about people putting 'pellet on pellet' at so and so yards, 'pellet through the same hole' is another one that comes up a bit but without actually posting pictures. This is why I asked to see people's targets to simply have a rough idea of what to aim for, nice looking groups with both guns. :good:

7 hours ago, Ttfjlc said:

Oldypigeonpopper, I made the mistake of spending hours reading about potential problems, barrels twisting, dodgy threads, rough crowns etc, however the one that did catch my interest was opinions were divided on whether or not to removal the o ring from the barrel band.

Mice, good point about the confidence thing, like I said earlier I have put 3 or 4 pellets on top of each other thinking I'm on a roll only to have the next 1 or 2 go slightly wayward and you're spot on as I then swear at myself and lose concentration.

UltraStu, much appreciated for the pictures, I've often read about people putting 'pellet on pellet' at so and so yards, 'pellet through the same hole' is another one that comes up a bit but without actually posting pictures. This is why I asked to see people's targets to simply have a rough idea of what to aim for, nice looking groups with both guns. :good:

hello, i know people who could not get a good zero with there sub 12 PCPs and took off the barrel band but it depends on the length of barrel, i had a Brocock super six with same problem this time i put a new rubber O ring in the barrel band recess, that sorted the problem, quite often a floating barrel is better than not, cheers

10 hours ago, Ttfjlc said:

that's the thing, i might get two or three pretty much spot on then number 4  goes wide but probably only by 10mm maybe. That's still a kill but because it's not in the hole with the others it niggles.

Another thing to do is put 4 dots on your red circle and keep changing your aim point, i think sometimes by aiming at the same point you can get sloppy, if you were using a springer or single shot you would have to reset for every shot.