Target Rifle

welshwarrior

So who shoots target rifle after 20 years out of the discipline I’ve had a go again in February and remember why I enjoyed it so much.  The simple basics all with same bullet weight iron sights no wind judging aids but the flags and range and targets 300-1000 yards. 

Anyone else? 

Been shooting indoor prone for 18 months and just been introduced to full bore target. SR though not TR

HOOKED

Very generous mate mentoring and allowing me to use his kit. Shot 600yds with a Lee Enfield No4 (7.62) so far. And compared to 20yds indoor I mean soooooo far. Not tried 1000yds yet!

Have no idea what to buy

Edited by Mr.C

As a lad all I wanted was a rifle, and joined the cadets solely for that reason. We shot No 4's and FN SLR's, but never any further than 500 yds. I loved it and would pass up the opportunity to go flying ( Chipmunks and Gliders ) to shoot targets. That group meant everything. 

I could still find shooting single shot rolling block type rifles at reactive targets fascinating, but otherwise It has no interest for me nowadays and would much prefer to wing shoot. Mate will shoot targets all day long. 

56 minutes ago, Scully said:

As a lad all I wanted was a rifle, and joined the cadets solely for that reason. We shot No 4's and FN SLR's, but never any further than 500 yds. I loved it and would pass up the opportunity to go flying ( Chipmunks and Gliders ) to shoot targets. That group meant everything. 

I could still find shooting single shot rolling block type rifles at reactive targets fascinating, but otherwise It has no interest for me nowadays and would much prefer to wing shoot. Mate will shoot targets all day long. 

Things have moved forwards now cadets have a semi automatic version of the SA80 (L98) and a super high tech Parker Hale Target Rifle to replace the No4!

Live game is still my main love but enjoying the TR challenge again learnt as a cadet! 

Edited by welshwarrior

I guess I mostly shoot targets now. Still do odd vermin jobs but mostly target sports. Odd bit of clay pigeon but mostly PSG and Target with the shotguns. Mostly practical rifle and target with the rim fires. Almost entirely target with the cf rifles. 

Edited by The Burpster

On 09/05/2019 at 22:41, welshwarrior said:

super high tech Parker Hale Target Rifle

Not my experience when we were investigating cracking of the action(s) adjacent to the barrel threads a number of years ago. They were all withdrawn and re-worked by PH just before they folded.

1 hour ago, JJsDad said:

Not my experience when we were investigating cracking of the action(s) adjacent to the barrel threads a number of years ago. They were all withdrawn and re-worked by PH just before they folded.

Tongue in cheek as super high tech and an action designed in 1898!!!

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

No it doesn’t your out of date the L98 A1

Apologies, should have engaged brain before opening mouth. Was going back to my days at RSAF, forgot they had modified it to A2 from the awful kick start cocking handle.

2 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Tongue in cheek as super high tech

Delete: "high" Insert: "low" 🤐

Edited by JJsDad