525 Game Opinion

JTaylor91

Afternoon everyone,

Currently awaiting the licence to drop on the mat but I’ve been scouting around for my first purchase. Shooting as many as I can and settled on a 525, specifically the one linked. Perfect condition hardly ever seen work.......but isn’t a sporter. I preferred the feel of the game model but am I going to get beat up by it and sick of shooting 100 carts a day in 12 months time? The weights don’t seem massively different with this one being 3.35kgs and the sporters being about 3.5 but obviously everybody here has better knowledge. Looking for an all rounder really, I will be doing a few game shoots over the winter.

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/browning-525-12-bore-gauge-over-and-under/Shotguns/1055240

What do you shoot most often? 

If your just doing driven shooting you won’t mind standing on peg with a sporter but I don’t imagine you’d want to carry one over miles and miles up and down hill chasing wild birds. 

If you do clays most often with the odd driven day I’d buy a sporter and buy a cheap SxS (or even a nice one) for game shooting :) 

If you only want to have a play at clays then shoot 21 gram and you could shoot 1000 a day. I suppose serious clay shooters want a bit more weight.

I have recently bought me a 525 game with 26 inch barrels and I shoot better with it than any gun I have had.

I have the exact gun in question, really nice fitting/handling gun. It's done a few simulated driven clay days (team of guns and 3000odd clays) and some big bird driven day and I've never got 'sick' of it, sometimes I've been left with a bit of a red shoulder that evening but that's firing a hundred or so game carts in a day, all part of the fun (not if it hurts that is but if it fits it wont! I've shot heavier guns too and not felt any difference what so ever but its each to ther own. I say go for it! Also I'll add mine has a solid butt, a pad could be fitted if it became an issue

hello, i do not understand why people use words that do not reflect the proper terminology of shotgun shooting, ( BEAT UP !!!)  it is called recoil, yes you have more recoil with a light gun say 6.5 llb but one that the stock measurements  fits your physique  and style of shooting 28/30/g should not have much effect on a days clay shooting, saying that one that is shooting 1 or 2 days a week 100 bird sporter to someone on the Olyimpic team shooting 5/6 days with ??? cartridges on practice is another matter, that Browning is 3.34 kg or 7.25 llb which is an ideal weight for what you have mentioned at 28 or 30g, also good hearing protectors are also to consider, my O/U is 6.5 llb fits 95% so not perfect and will take 28/30g cartridges, so just buy your chosen 525 and enjoy a good sport, cheers  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper