Slot in fence panels

Dave-G

Does anyone know of or have any ideas about why there don't seem to be any 'floorboard/shed roof' tongue and groove type or plain edged plank fence panels about?

It seems to me this type would be longer lasting and easier to seal gaps against rainwater deterioration than the featherboard or shiplap type.

The'll be slotted into concrete posts onto concrete gravel boards.

Edited by Dave-G

Because the 'normal' types of fence panel will flex in wind, and 'pop out' - as virtually everyone has seen at some time or other. But they also just then slot back into place.

Make them far more rigid, and they don't flex - they break. And if the wind is strong enough the panels will act as a huge sail, and even start to uproot concrete posts

5 hours ago, robbiep said:

Because the 'normal' types of fence panel will flex in wind, and 'pop out' - as virtually everyone has seen at some time or other. But they also just then slot back into place.

Make them far more rigid, and they don't flex - they break. And if the wind is strong enough the panels will act as a huge sail, and even start to uproot concrete posts

I hadn't thought of that Rob TBH, my current cheap one's with just one central crossbar have been in for 19 years, never had any flex out though they have become quite rotten and rickety with warped panel edges leaving unsightly gaps between them. I repaired a few last year but they're getting to be an eyesore now.

I've seen some 'closeboard' one's with an extra cross beam in them which are likely to avoid warping as easily, and B&Q have some like that where the boards are sandwiched between thinner cross parts top and bottom so the board ends don't twist out at £32 each.

I've never liked the way the panels migrate/slide off the sloped edges of the gravel boards so I screw plates on the highest side to prevent that.

I'm thinking about making my own with more substantial, routed out 3x2 top bottom and 2x2 edges and cross struts with thin planks. That's likely to cost more though. Does anyone know if that is likely to have expansion problems in weather extremes... maybe that's why they are not generally available? :ermm:

18 minutes ago, Muddy Funker said:

Wonder why they can't use recycled plastic.

I'm sure they can invent some real wood looking panels that last forever and never need painting.

I might invent some 👍

Brilliant idea! I think I saw some plastic options on a "DO IT" B&Q TV advert - must go for a Google.

Edited by Dave-G

Found some here - working out to about £70 per panel delivered, bearing in mind I already have the posts, only in graphite colour though. Thats just over double the price of the close fitting timber panels that should last 20 years - but I'll be gone by then. HMM...

Will think on this for a bit while seeing if any other ideas crop up. I do rather like the idea, does anyone see any negatives? I'd place the lower one onto a small round top 2x2 board to brace it better and stop it sliding down the gravel board mould release draft.

https://roofin.co.uk/basket/

Edited by Dave-G