Playing with guns

welsh1

6 hours ago, Scully said:

I’m sorry, but I don’t see the problem. I grew up playing cowboys and Indians and cops and robbers.

My son and all his friends shot at each other with BB’s after I found them all appropriate eye protection, and a day out at Laser Quest alway ensured a full vehicle of both girls and boys.  

But possibly that was in a previous less hyped up time?

Maybe as ourselves would we do it?

56 minutes ago, old man said:

But possibly that was in a previous less hyped up time?

Maybe as ourselves would we do it?

For myself yes, for my son and daughter no, it was less than five years ago and already toy guns in school weren’t allowed, and if I’m correct most toy gun manufacturers had by then been forced by legislation to affix bright orange bits to them! 

As an adult myself? Playing with my daughter and son? Yes, definitely. 

I think the big  issue here .is that some one took a picture and posted it on face ache or what ever ..

Without the picture its just 2 adults in a room totally safe and having fun not hurting anybody including them selves 

The  problem is social media and everyone butting their noses into other peoples bussines and making judgements 

Passes me off .

Edited by Ultrastu

I'm 80 next month.

When I was 13 and in the Army Cadets I used to take my P14 .303 home on my bike if we were going to have an 'exercise' over the weekend.

When I got to be 14 I became my sections Bren gunner and took that home.   (.303 light machine gun).   This had to be done on the bus due stability problems on the bike.

Both weapons were fully serviceable.   I'd keep them at home until the following week's meeting.   They had to be returned to the armoury fully cleaned and oiled.

In those days nobody thought anything about it.   The conductor, we had them in those far off days, usually a lady 'clippie' as they were known, would just tell me to stick it under the stairs in the luggage compartment.

Now there's a hell of a hoo har because two actors start acting about with two replicas...

Am I on the same planet that I was born on?   Do grow up and get a life fellahs.  

Through the course of the program that they are in (I have absolutely no idea who these people are or what program!) I'm sure that they point guns at people hundreds of time as well as appearing to pull the trigger and there being reactions to the "shot".

What's the difference?

The two scenarios are simply acting for entertainment. 

I'm 100% in the camp of "never point a gun at anything that you don't want to kill, regardless of whether you believe it to be loaded or not" but those are not guns, they are toys/props. Everyone concerned knew that. There was no way they could be mistaken for real guns as there would never be a real gun in the vicinity unlike the linked examples where blanks and live ammo were mixed etc.

Over reaction to something that happens all over the world every day either when kids are playing or when actors are filming.

Edd

I have to smile when I see people saying how shocking it is to see things like this. While their children are in their bedrooms destroying half the planet and millions of people on their games consoles. Or out on the streets looking for someone to plant their knife in. A life needs to be got. 

Edited by bostonmick

1 hour ago, bostonmick said:

I have to smile when I see people saying how shocking it is to see things like this. While their children are in their bedrooms destroying half the planet and millions of people on their games consoles. Or out on the streets looking for someone to plant their knife in. A life needs to be got. 

This +1

51 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I wonder how those who view this as a bit of fun view Danny Baker's sacking. He insists it was a bit of harmless fun.

It was probably as he said an ill judged joke. But with out pc police out there to make something out of anything he has as said been thrown under a bus. Embarrass the royals and your out of the BBC. Unless your name is packham and you announce that when you go to collect your honour at the Palace you intend to embarrass whichever royal is presenting it by questioning them on their love of shooting. 

Edited by bostonmick

12 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I wonder how those who view this as a bit of fun view Danny Baker's sacking. He insists it was a bit of harmless fun.

Baker is an imbecile. So too is the BBC which sacked him once before then rehired him.

1 hour ago, bostonmick said:

It was probably as he said an ill judged joke. But with out pc police out there to make something out of anything he has as said been thrown under a bus. Embarrass the royals and your out of the BBC. Unless your name is packham and you announce that when you go to collect your honour at the Palace you intend to embarrass whichever royal is presenting it by questioning them on their love of shooting. 

+1

My take on it , is that it was just actors that were having a bit of fun,with no harm done . I can see where Welsh1 is coming from though , he's seeing things through the eyes of a shooter,military and civilian, and as shooters it's drummed into us to never point a gun at anything unless you intend to kill it. I certainly don't think that he should be criticised for the way that he sees it , and I'm sure that given time he'll see it for what it is.

On 11/05/2019 at 12:23, Rim Fire said:

Yes but you are looking at it as a shooter these people are actors and from the states where you do point real guns at other people so they dont see it as stupid knowing they are false guns

Don't think they from the States. Vicky Mcclure and Martin Compston?